CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Hawaii board new moderator (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/307590-hawaii-board-new-moderator.html)

Harry Martin January 24th, 2006 06:17 PM

Hawaii board new moderator

Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I will now be moderating the Hawaii board, too, in addition to Mexico and G/L boards.

We just got back from the 15-night R-T Hawaii cruise on the Island Princess, stopping in Hilo, Kona, Maui, Honolulu and Kauai.

I will try to answer as many questions, as possible. But, as always, it's you the readers who always provide the most. So jump in when you know something or have an opinion.

Along those lines, our "Revealed" travel books for each island were invaulable when touring. I highly recommend them.

Harry

Cruz Crazy January 27th, 2006 10:03 PM

Harry nice to have you doing Hawaii as well.

I'm doing a R/T 14-night Hawaii cruise in December '06 and I was wondering if you know anything about private tours in Hawaii. I really don't want to rely on the cruise line.

There will be four of us and we don't want to rent a car ourselves, the poor driver can't enjoy it. We would like to hire a car or van to take us around the islands.

Any sugggestions?

Thanks.

Harry Martin January 28th, 2006 03:04 PM

They had some private tours thru the ship but they were mega-expensive. Honestly I think a car would be fine, and with a good guide book (I loved the Revealed books for the different islands).

Harry

croozlady February 17th, 2006 11:57 PM

Harry can you tell me more about the "Revealed" books. Do you pick them up on the islands or before you leave home?

Harry Martin February 18th, 2006 01:34 PM

I wa slucky and our neighbors loaned us theirs for 2 islands, then I supplemented with a Fodors. But hands-down, the Revealed ones were easier to read and navigate, and the maps and directions were great.

Try searching online, and you should be able to pick 'em up (amazon.com, etc) They are also available at the (prevalent ABC stores in port)

Harry

JanetCruiser February 24th, 2006 05:11 PM

Harry, what is the full title of the "Revealed" books. I'm interested in getting a copy, but unfamiliar with the book series. We're doing the May 2006 Radiance sailing out of San Diego. As a native, any suggestions for a nice restaurant pre-cruise? We're staying at the Holiday Inn across from the ship terminal. Thanks for any info!

Harry Martin February 26th, 2006 01:59 PM

Janet, the books are separated by the islands, so they are "Maui Revealed" "Hawaii Revealed," etc.

A fantastic restaurant is right across from the hotel -- Anthony's Star of the Sea ... beautiful views and great food -- right on the water. I am 99 percent sure there is a Ruth Chris' Steakhouse about a block from you up the street, too.

Harry