Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Hawaii car rental recommendation

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that many of us used this web site to book our cars for the Get Lei'd cruise:

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Be sure and click near the top that you need pier pickup.

We did great, and got a Dodge Neon for the day in two ports for $34 (including all taxes).

From our experience, save the money and don't get a convertible -- 1st they are everywhere, second gas is expensive, and third the rain seemed to pop up unexpectedly.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Beginner

Hi Harry: We are going to be arriving May3rd/06 to Kona aboard the Carnival Spirit. Could you suggest a realistic driving tour for our limited time in Kona. We will be renting cars in Oahu and Maui and possibly in Hilo. However, I wonder if we would be better with an excursion in Kona since the car rental seems to be a little out of the way in Kona. Thanks for any and all suggestions you can give. Sincerely, Karen and Keith
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Hi Karen,

A couple tips from our experience ...

* We tendered into Kona, and it was a wait to get into port and to get back.

* We did a walking tour that I gleaned from the Hawaii Revealed books (these were great travel guides!). After seeing the first Christian church, the king's temple, the royal vacation home and town, there was not much else to do in town (other than just shop and poke around).

We did have nachos and drinks at Huggos on the Beach, which is within walking distance of the pier. It was grandfathered in, and is the only restaurant right on the sand. Made for great views, and we walked away for about $25.

We tried to do a more expansive walking tour, but once you leave town, there is nothing but condos and homes for at least 2 miles.

They do have free shuttles to Walmart, Hilo Hatties, etc, that a lot of the crew and passengers used. They pick you up right at the pier.

Bottom line: After being quite busy in Oahu, Honolulu, etc, it was nice to just poke around Kona. Perhaps make it more of a lowkey stop and skip the car, etc.

Let me know what you think. By the way, Hilo was great with a rental car. Do you stop there?

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the response Harry. We are renting a car in Hilo and in Maui( to do the road to Hana ..we are in that port 8am-10:30pm). In Hilo we will go to the Volcano in the morning then do the coast in the afternoon. Our goal would be to get to Akaka Falls with some leisurely stops along the way. Is that realistic?
I had thought about doing the ships tour of the Place of Refuge or do a morning snorkling tour and then poke around Kona as you suggested instead of the car rental. I do have a bad habit of wanting to see everything .
In Kauai will be doing the Heaven and Earth Helicopter trip (6hrs total) sightseeing the north shore (Hanelei bay ect) and a helicopter tour.
Our second day in Maui (lahaina) we are going to go do a walking tour of Lahaina, take the train to Kaanapali , whalers village and the beach.
I have the Hawaii entertainment book so I have some 2 for 1 coupons. We are staying 5 nights in Waikiki before we board the Spirit. This is our first visit to Hawaii. Celebrating our 25th Anniversary!!
Karen and Keith
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Hi Karen,

In Lahaina, I highly recommend Kimos for lunch -- great views of the ocean from the patio. It was highly recommended in the Revealed book I had.

In Hilo, it's a breeze with the car rental -- it's at the airport 6 mins away and then you can just head out by making a left to the volcanoes park.

We also had time to zoom to the other side and see Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots and one more up the road. All were about 5 mins apart. I think Akaka Falls was farther out, so it might be a little too much. But we did do all the above in the course of 4.5 hours, with one hour spent at Volcanoes Park.

Check out the Photo Galleries here for pics from our cruise. By the way, the Spirit is great -- been on her twice. Search my name under the Photo Galleries, and you will see ship photos, as well as detail photos of a balcony cabin.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!