Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Beginner

Default PRIDE OF ALOHA........SOMEONE.......ANYONE.......

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS TAKEN THIS CRUISE, TO HELP ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS......
1. DOES THE CRUISE SHIP OFFER A LUAU ON ONE OF THE OVERNIGHTS
NOT AS AN EXCURSION....
2. IN HILO DOES IT REALLY RAIN ALL THE TIME...
3. ARE THERE SHUTTLES TO THE AIRPORTS AT ALL PORTS TO GET CAR
RENTALS..
4. ARE THE AMERICAN STAFF SHIPS REALLY DIFFERENT THEN THE
OTHER CRUISE SHIPS.....
THANKS...
TINA
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Hi Tina, I can answer some of your questions:

* Hilo was a great port, and it was sunny and 78 when we were there.

* The rental car companies all have shuttles to pick you up ... I booked ahead at discounthawaiicarrentals.com

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to pdqmom Send a message via Yahoo to pdqmom
Default we have returned recently.

We were on Pride of Aloha feb 5 til 12. We had a wonderful time. There are many wxcursions to choose from and they are all very organized. The weather was beautiful 70 to 75 everyday.You will just love it.and the staff is so nice.
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Passenger

We've been to Hilo twice and only a saw a sprinkle while up in the mountains for a few minutes.

I saw most of the common rentals companies at the pier, but make a reservation first so you can get on the bus.

There is a Laua in Maui, but I heard skip it.

We really didn't see any big difference with the ships crew.

Have a nice trip.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Hi, Did you ever take this cruise? I'm thinking about the same one. Don't have a clue about cruising Hawaii, but am looking for all the info I can get, too. First, I have to endure a flight from New Hampshire!
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Familiar Face

Judith, The POAloha is nice, but smaller and older than the POH. For about $200 pp one can sail on the brand new POH. A VERY slick ship by all accounts. Jimbo
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Default PRIDE OF ALOHA.......SOMEONE.......ANYONE......

Tbambard, you are going to have a GREAT trip.

We went this past June. As mentioned by Jimbo_Boston mentioned, it is an older ship, but it has been "overhauled" and is a very nice ship.

The staff were great. If Rodney Soloman is still working on her, he will make your cruise fantastic. Anything you need, he's your man. If you see him, tell him Gayle and Amy said hello. My DW wanted to take him home with us.

We cruised and visited the islands, and only saw a sprinkle on Hilo.

They do offer a luau (we went to it) and it was good intertainment, but the better luau is THE Old Lahaina Luau. Make reservations in advance.

The temp. was great. The hottest day, it reached 87deg. Most days were in the mid 70's.

Weather permitting, on your your cruise between Hilo and Kona, the Captain will cruise by the only volcano in the islands that flows into the ocean.

crabbie1

Pride of Aloha - June 2006
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:23 AM
Familiar Face

Hilo does have some sprinkles and so does Kauia.

there is a difference between international vs. american crew.
We were able to have a real conversation with our room steward while on the POA . He turned out to be one of the best stewards we've have had.

It is extremely easy to rent a car. There are shuttles from several companies that meet you at the pier. I believe Budget is at all ports.
When in Kona I suggest you book with enterprize or dollar. They are the only companies that have a office in town. The others are located at the airport... a 30 minute drive.

the cruise offers a excusion to the Drums of Pradise. As stated before, if you want to go to the Old Lahaina (the oldest running and traditional) you need to make your reservations asap. They sit people according to when they made their reservton. The earlier you book, your table is closer to the show. (you will also have a choice of traditional sitting (on mats) or at tables.) I couldn't see myself on the ground for several hours !

I can't remember that much about the ship itself..... so it didn't bother me that it was a older ship. Basically we got up early, went to breakfast, got off the ship and toured, returned to the ship, showered, went to dinner and then to the show and off to bed.

Voyager of the Seas
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Passenger

We are going on the POA for one of her first 11 day cruises in Sept 2007...assume the general information will remain the same. Just curious if this ship would be a good first cruise for someone....I have been cruising for years but a newbie is thinking of joining us on this trip

We already told her to think of the ship as a floating hotel since we will be getting off in everyport. There are several overnights in port which we will take full advantage of. The seadays will be something new to her.

Feed back anyone.... 8)
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Beginner

just back from pride of aloha...we did the old lah l..in maui on our own..rented a car at every port...would not recomend hilo to short of a time there they make you return car to early3.30 because of traffic..either to a shore excursion.or find out the name of hotel that rents cars in town. we found out to late about this...town has many shops to keep you busy...snorkling right by pier....get ready for poor serviece..this was the worst service on a cruise ship we had ever seen....our cabin steward was awfull...no t.p no towels..one night he didn't even do our room...if this is your first cruise ..don't judge other cruise lines by this....this one is awfull....but the hawaiin islands are breath taking...glad we did it...cindy
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Passenger

Do you know if the NCL ships cruise past the NaPali Coast and Mt. Kiluea on the 7-night cruises? I am seriously thinking about taking a cruise to Hawaii this summer since the prices appear great.