CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Helicopter tours?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/311248-helicopter-tours.html)

redstangjt March 23rd, 2006 08:27 PM

Helicopter tours??

Anyone have any suggestions on which island would be best for a helicopter tour? I've heard Kauai is the best would appreciate any input from someone who has done this.
Jeannie

DianeT March 24th, 2006 12:33 PM

We haven't done a helicopter tour on Kauai - but I would imagine it would be great with the cliffs and "Grand Canyon of the Pacific". However, we have done them on Maui and the Big Island (Hawaii). Maui is pretty and interesting - but we LOVE the Big Island. We have always splurged and done the full island tour on Blue Hawaiian out of Waikoloa. It goes up to the volcano, over the lava flows down to the ocean. Stops to re-fuel in Hilo and then up past the waterfalls just above Hilo on up to Waipio Valley and then up the coast line with all the waterfalls on the cliff sides. Then back over the mountains and through the small valleys with more waterfalls and ponds and then over the town of Waimea and back into Waikoloa. It is a fabulous tour and Blue Hawaiian is the best. (No I don't work for them.)

wayfarjim April 15th, 2006 03:40 AM

Kauai Helicopter

I did a helicopter tour on Kauai approx 10 years ago. It was spectacular to say the least. Trips go through Waima Canyon often called the Grand Canyon of Hawaii (looks just like GC!). Napali coast is spectacular. Helicopter travel is one of the only ways to see the interior of the Island as I believe approximately 2/3 is privately owned. The primo company is Jack Harter Helicopter - one of the original companies on Kaui. They may cost a few dollars more, but the tailor the trip to passengers preferences. They are also one of the only companies that are allowed inside the crater of Mt. Waialeale.

I have a cruise to HI planned for August. Will be doing the Big Island heli tour this time. Should be exciting.

Seasail May 17th, 2006 01:56 PM

Blue Hawaiian hands down is the best Helicopter tour. They do Big island, Maui and Kauai. My niece does inspections on helicopters and she says their standards are very high. That is the reason my husband booked the on the Big Island. He said they were incredible. I don't fly in anything unless it holds more than 200 people, so I shopped!!

erikhag October 22nd, 2006 07:59 AM

Maybe it´s too late to give you a tip now, since your question was posted a long time ago!

When we cruesed around Hawaii we took the "Western Maui and Molokai" tour with Blue Hawaiian and that was reallt great. You got 2, or at least 1,5 islands on one tour and the flight time was long, around 65 minutes.

That´s my best tip on what to do when cruising around Hawaii!

Merg55 November 10th, 2006 02:33 AM

Kauia:

Reason, Na pali coast is the most breath taking experience

Merg55 December 2nd, 2006 10:39 PM

Just booked Helicopter rides for my upcoming cruise. I was having a hard time with NCL's site so I started looking to book my own.
HeliUSA is the company generally used by NCL, however the day we are going to be there, Princess and NCL had book all of the tours that Blue Hawaii was offering.

I couldn't get a morning fight with NCL (waited too long to book) so I ended up booking with Sarfari Helicopter tours. They pick you up at the pier and if you book on line they offer a discount and it's alittle cheaper than the cruise line tours.

frankyP4lover August 20th, 2007 04:05 PM

Doors off

I did a doors off helicopter ride in Maui. It was incredible. I know they do it Kauai too, and i'll be there next summer. Anyone know who does it there?

I also have done Maui's Molokai, West Maui Mountain tour before. That was aweinspiring due to the seacliffs and the waterfalls. I did it through www.maui-vacation.net and got a good price. I was going to do the Big Island Lava/volcano tour this last time I was in Hawaii, but the lava had stopped flowing. I think it's back though.