Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Default Seeking Opinions on Hawaii Excursions

Hi All,

I will be cruising on the PoA late this summer, and am starting to look at the shore excursions offered through NCL. Has anyone been on an organized NCL excursion that ended up being the *highlight* of your vacation? Or one that you felt didn't quite live up to the hype?

I'm thinking about the following:

Kauai Day 1 - Book a helicopter or Na Pali cruise (would probably book these on my own instead of through NCL)
Kauai Day 2 - Hollywood Movie Tour
Hilo - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Hiking (I'm looking at this one instead of the "lava viewing" tour, as it looked like that tour just drove right through the park instead of stopping)
Kona - Captain Zodiac Snorkeling
Maui Day 1 - Kaanapali on your own (will combine with Lahaina if I can)
Maui Day 2 - Haleakala & Maui Ocean Center

On Maui, I've heard fantastic reviews of the show at Warren & Annabelle's, but it looks REALLY pricey for an evening out. Also, I'd had my heart set on Haleakala at sunrise, until I saw a photo in the "Maui Revealed" book. Everyone looked miserably cold, except for one gentleman in a ski coat!! I'd love to see this, but don't want to take up half my suitcase with a ski coat. Any thoughts on whether these tours would be worthwhile?

Thanks!
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

We when to see the Warren & Annabelle Show two years ago and it was great! Would go back in a second! Very, very funny and amazing magic! Not over priced when compared to everything else in Hawaii.

During that visit to Maui we also drove up to Haleakala, but not for sunrise. We arrived on top about noon, but it was still cold (January). It is a great drive and I would recommend it. A sunrise trip would have been OK, but we could not get going that early. You can plan on about a 3.3 degree drop in temperature for every 1000 feet increase in elevation. The summit is slightly more than 10,000 feet. Therefore, depending on the temperature at your hotel/ship (sea level) you can easily do the math to figure out what the approximate temperature will be at the summit.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info on Haleakala.

We are currently experiencing 110+ degree temperatures in Arizona, so that will be quite a change!
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Beginner

I noticed you planned to take a na pali boat or helicopter tour in Kauai. Let me recommend a perfect Kauai activity. We took an air tour with Air Ventures and it was incredible! The one-hour tour is in a luxury plane and you get to see the entire island. They offer free transportation for cruise ship passengers and have a perfect safety record!

Donna and Joel made our tour so memorable. Every one on the flight got a window seat and we took the best photos out of the whole trip on that flight. For only spending a day on the Garden Island we felt like we had discovered the whole island!

The number to call is 866 464 7864 or email airventureshawaii@hawaii.rr.com Have a great cruise!
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I took POAmerica in July. We did the sunrise tour with Ehaki Tours,and I can tell you,I FROZE! I had a warm up suit,jacket,hat,gloves and small blanket,and it was so cold and windy,I spent most of my time in the van. Another couple from Chicago said they could not have braved it without the thermal blankets off their hotel bed (which they laughed at the van driver when he told them to go back for the blankets). It was miserable.But,the drive down was nice,and glad I went. We had a really nice breakfast at a golf course when we got down the crater. The ride up was nice as the whole way was lit up with the burning fires of the sugar cane fields. We had booked the same tour your taking with the Ocean Center included,but NCL cancelled that on us stating they did not have enough interest in the OC part of the tour..dont know thats true,but thats why we booked the Crater tour thru Ehaki.

We took the Big Kahuna flight with Airventures in Kauhi. It was wonderful! So beautiful from the air.

Did the luau thru NCL which was awesome! Road To Hana thru Ehaki Tours. Im so glad we did not rent a car and drive ourselves! We saw a lady and her daughter that had a wreck on the road,and the passenger side was hanging over the side! The daughter had to climb out the drivers side. Sure looked scary to us and hubby was very glad he could enjoy the view instead of the road.

VNP thru NCL..and it was awesome with lots of stops.Just missed seeing the lava flowing at night. We are going back with POA in Feb 2009! We loved Hawaii. Dot
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Passenger

We just returned from PoA on Aug. 4th. The VERY best thing we did was a helicopter flight over Kauai. We booked through NCL but there were other places to book on your own. Don't miss it!
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seeking Opinions on Hawaii Excursions

Hold that boat! Just did a day trip to Maui from San Antonio, TX. A few comments.

Maui Ocean Center was nice, although smaller than I thought it would be (used to live by Marineland of the Pacific and now live by Sea World, San Antonio). Nice assortment of critters and view of the harbour.

If going to Lahaina would be nice to hit the Atlantis sub. The town itself is a bit touristy - kinda reminded me of Monterey or Carmel. Locals are friendly enough - hung with some Atlantis crew.

Foothills around Lahaina have been burnt (wildfire, not just cane fires) so not as green as old photos suggest but the coast and surf are cool.

Yes, you need to dress warm as you will be climbing in altitude for Haleakala. No way around that - just take a second suitcase - or take a helicopter to do the crater.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTEKKE
Hi All,

Maui Day 1 - Kaanapali on your own (will combine with Lahaina if I can)
Maui Day 2 - Haleakala & Maui Ocean Center

On Maui, I've heard fantastic reviews of the show at Warren & Annabelle's, but it looks REALLY pricey for an evening out. Also, I'd had my heart set on Haleakala at sunrise, until I saw a photo in the "Maui Revealed" book. Everyone looked miserably cold, except for one gentleman in a ski coat!! I'd love to see this, but don't want to take up half my suitcase with a ski coat. Any thoughts on whether these tours would be worthwhile?

Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas