CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Help/ Info please on NCL Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/316679-help-info-please-ncl-hawaii.html)

saligari July 4th, 2006 11:22 PM

Help/ Info please on NCL Hawaii

This is my first post on a forum such as this. If I have not got it correct please excuse. :D
I am looking at taking a 7 dayer in Hawaii (in Oct our 1st for Hawaii) on either the Pride Of America OR the new Pride of Hawaii ( I have noted pictures posted of the POH on the site, Great and thanks for that info)
My question is, I normally like taking a cabin starboard side because of docking however these days with all the side thrusters and the lack of tugs needed the ships do not dock Starboard as they use to as much
Can someone inform me of what actual side either or both these ships dock in the prots of Honolulu, Hilo,Kahului,Nawiliwilli please
Also, has anyone been on both ships yet and can give a preference. :D
I would be most grateful for any info to give inshight before booking :)

Jimbo_Boston July 29th, 2006 02:12 PM

From what I've read it dosen't matter too much on either ship. I booked POH and was more concerned with what was above or below the cabin. When the ship passes by the volcano it changes direction so everybody gets a good view. Unless you plan on spending your time sitting in the cabin looking out the window don't worry which side.

saligari July 31st, 2006 03:19 AM

Jimbo, many thanks for that info I am most grateful to know the ship does allow for both side for viewing :D

FF March 19th, 2007 09:50 AM

:D GOING TO HAWAII THIS AUTUMN - LONG WAY TO GO FROM UK SO WANT TO SEE LOTS - LIKED LOOK OF CRUISE WITH NCL BUT REVIEWS REALLY PUTTING US OFF :( ANY FEEDBACK/COMMENTS?

WE'RE 1ST TIME CRUISERS, MID 40'S COUPLE

BALCONY ROOM SEEMED GOOD DEAL BUT CAN EXPERIENCED CRUISERS ADVISE WHICH DECK & LOCATION OR SIDE OF SHIP IS BEST?

ALSO NOTE REVIEWS MENTION 'SMUGGLING' ALCOHOL ON BOARD - AREN'T YOU ALLOWED BOOZE IN YOUR CABIN? WHAT ABOUT DUTY-FREE BROUGHT IN :o

Topspin March 24th, 2007 10:27 AM

Hi "FF"

I've never been on NCL. But I can tell you that you definitely want a balcony room.

We are leaving in August. Can't wait..........I think the ship looks great. I'm not going to let all the negative posts scare me.

I don't think I would try smuggling booze in. Besides, I bet the airlines wouldn't like it either...................... :roll:

NY Cruisin Mama March 26th, 2007 11:33 PM

Hi: Any bottles you pack in your luggage will be taken out by security and given back to you at the END of your cruise. Also with the new security rules in the US airports - you would have to pack in your checked luggage. I certainly wouldn't want to run the risk of breakage - what a mess!! You can certainly buy liquor
at your ports (we do this with our soda or pepsi as it is an extra charge on the ship) and bring on board to drink in your cabin. If you bring wine
to the table you will be charged a "corkage fee" . if bought elsewhere.

You DEFINATELY want a balcony - the sunrise and sunsets in Hawaii are
magnficent as well being able to view the islands as you approach. My
DH came down with a 'bug' on our Princess cruise in 2003 and was
quarentined to our cabin for three days - TG for the balcony or he would
have been ready for the "looney bin".

Hope to take a similar cruise in 2008 so write back with your comments.
Sherrie LOL LOL LOL

retiredapple April 5th, 2007 02:44 PM

Pride of Hawaii

Just got of the POH. The ship is nice and the itinerary is good. You will need a car in Maui to make the most of that island. We had the lowest grade Penthouse,8130, on the back of the ship and the room was very nice. We had a butler and conceirgie (sp) service. OUr room steward was new but very attentative and good. These people made our sailing very enjoyable. By having a room on the back, we were able to see both sides when we did the coast and two views of the lava flowing.
My only regret with the trip was getting the airfare with NCL. I highly suggest that you get your own and spend time in Honolulu before or after. NCL air department makes no attempt to accomodate your request nor do they have concern for your schedule.

This was a much anticipated cruise that did not meet my expectations. I am not putting the blame on NCL completely because now I know I needed to take a more proactive part in assuring an enjoyable time by doing extensive preplanning beginning with making my own air arrangements.

The POH is a beautiful ship. Freestyle is what you make it and it too takes planning. I have been on 23 cruises and this was my first NCL and I probably will not be doing another NCL again anytime soon. I like Holland American, Royal Car, Princess and Carnvial much better. The entertainment is lacking on NCL and the activities on the ship are almost non-existent. But, a always a cruise is what we make it.

David West April 22nd, 2007 09:01 PM

RetiredApple,
Thanks for your advice on airflight .I've been doing just that. Preplanning our flights.
Did your return flight leave Hawaii Late in the evening :?: (ex. 8.00 - 9.00 pm) I'm looking for a morning flight, the day after we return.
Planning on having 1 precruise day, and 1-post cruise day.
Thanks for your input.

Happy Sailing to all; :D
David

ladyarli May 10th, 2007 05:21 PM

Aloha!

Hi Everyone,

Friends of ours just finished a 7 day cruise on the Pride of America. My husband and I are going in October, so naturally I pumped them with questions. According to my friends, who have been on many cruises, NCL has gotten very strict about bringing liquor on board. They were going to charge a corkage fee for one of those tiny bottles of wine that doesn't even have a cork!
We have a balcony cabin, and I found out that if you want to see the Na Pali coast on Kauai from your balcony, you want to be on the Port side. (They don't turn around there.) However, you can always be sociable and go up on deck with everyone else.
Just about all of the flights that go east seem to leave after 5 PM. I don't know why, but that's what I found.
NCLA has been re-training their crews, and the reviews I've read have gotten better. Try to have a positive attitude, and don't let any small problems with service, etc get to you. (Of course, big problems should be reported immediately.)
I hope this helps. Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

johnhboyd May 17th, 2007 11:56 AM

Found this site just in time. First time cruisers, my Significant Other (still getting used to that), have reservations for Pride of America, departing Oahu on May 26. Stateroom with balcony, and several excursions preplanned. We are excited.

rdhearne August 15th, 2007 05:26 PM

We had a starboard cabin on Pride of America. We were next to the dock only once during the cruise, which I preferred because it eliminated bright lights at night. the PoA is beautiful and the crew was friendly and efficient.

elmeterman August 19th, 2007 09:48 AM

We are thinking about booking NCL Pride of America cruise for March 2008. Would like any advice or tips you might have on rooms, excursions, etc. We have sailed NCL Star to Alaska, had a balcony room, it was nice but small especially the commode area in bathroom. Can you tell me about POA rooms? Also, did you eat on the Islands or go back to the ship for meals? We would welcome any advice-thanks.