Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Beginner

Default How long should we stay in Honolulu for pre-cruise?

Our cruise leaves Honolulu at 8pm on a Monday. Our flight arrives at 1pm. Assuming that the arrival afternoon/evening will be for recuperating (9-hour flight), should we plan on flying in on Fri so that we have all day Sat and Sun to see the sights (Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, any others?)? Or is just Sun enough? When do you normally board in Honolulu for the 8pm departure - in other words, will Mon be limited for sightseeing if we board in the early-afternoon? We are thinking that we are on vacation so why push it in Honolulu by trying to see everything in too short a time. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'd go to Honolulu as many days prior as your schedule allows. Ohau has lots to see and do. It's a great vacation spot, and worthy of a few days just on its own, if you have the time.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Kuki, you can easily use fill-up a few days on Ohau, not to mention recovering from the jetlag. In addition to the items you mentioned, I would also add the Polynesian Cultural Center to your list. Visiting the PCC is an all day event if you want to try to see it all.

http://www.polynesia.com/
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Familiar Face

we're on the POH in May. We booked 2 nights in Waikiki Beach to recover fron the flight and sight see. If you look at hotels on line you can get a much better price than what you will get from NCL. There is a major chain (begins with an M, ends in T) that will give you a good price for AAA or AARP. Gotta do it WAY in advance, same with flights, go ON LINE. Jimbo
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Jimbo. We are on the POH in May 2007 also. I ended up using the last of my points with M......T and, thanks to your reminding me about AAA or AARP, got the senior rate for a third night. Saved about $75 on the single night thru NCL.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

It's better to arrive earlier as posted above. After a long flight, you have to get to the docks & by the time you get on the ship, its still helter skelter because then you have to unpack, walk around, etc.

Getting there a day or two earlier will let you relax, sleep any jetlag off & you'll be nice & relaxed when you get on the ship.
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

Also booked for NCL May 20, 2007 (Sunday embark) on Pride of Aloha.

Was well we are flying in on Friday and will arrive Honolulu about 4:00pm and will relax the rest of the evening and on Saturday plan to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Already Booked too at the the M_____T.

Scotts
Old October 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via MSN to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via Yahoo to fl_tpa_1956male

must do's (near full day):

1. Island tour, circumvents island, $50
2. PCC
3. Pearl Harbor (free, once there) later, Bishop Museum
A. Waikiki Beach area to fill in time from above.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

Does anyone know if we get on the POH say around 1:00PM can we get off again and tour the city for a few hours before sailing at 8:00PM? Jimbo
Old November 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I would think it would be like any other ship...as long as your back on 30 mins before sailing.Thats my plan for July.I will board the ship as soon as possible and then go back and explore the Island till time to sail. Enjoy your cruise! Dot