CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   HOW DO YOU COPE WITH A 10 HOUR FLIGHT? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/322292-how-do-you-cope-10-hour-flight.html)

juliemccoy October 18th, 2006 02:47 PM

HOW DO YOU COPE WITH A 10 HOUR FLIGHT?

:shock:

So I finally got our flight times for our upcoming NCL WIND cruise in NOV. and aside from the anticipation and excitment of counting down the days to go, I'm faced with a new emotion of shock.

We are on the east coast and facing a 10 hour flight from ATL to HNL. Longest I've flown is 4-5 hrs.

ANYONE whose made the trip to HNL or elsewhere, how do you make it through???? :?:

Day dreaming about my cruise may get me through some of it but the cramped space and close proximity to other restless ppl is intimidating.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO HAVE A GOOD FLIGHT????? :?:

Kuki October 18th, 2006 05:04 PM

On the very long flights, I take a sleeping pill... and enjoy the sleep, and arrive rested.

Works for me LOL

Rev22:17 October 18th, 2006 08:17 PM

juliemccoy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
We are on the east coast and facing a 10 hour flight from ATL to HNL. Longest I've flown is 4-5 hrs.

ANYONE whose made the trip to HNL or elsewhere, how do you make it through????

Day dreaming about my cruise may get me through some of it but the cramped space and close proximity to other restless ppl is intimidating.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO HAVE A GOOD FLIGHT?????

Well, the first step to an enjoyable flight is to get out of the "cattle cabin" and into either first class or business class, depending upon the airline and the cost. The seats in coach are simply too cramped for normal adults, especially on a flight of that duration. The "first class" and "business class" cabne also offer much better cuisine and complementary beverages.

When in the air, be sure to get up and stretch from time to time. While the seat belt sign is off, you can walk up and down the aisles or even walk a few laps around the center section of seats.

Of course, the best way to deal with long flights is to avoid them completely. That's why I'm going to Hawai'i aboard GTS Infinity, round trip from Los Angeles, next week, rather than flying there....

Norm.

Judith October 22nd, 2006 02:51 PM

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I don't have a Hawaii cruise booked yet, but first I need to get from New Hampshire.....has anyone helped you yet?

Jimbo_Boston October 24th, 2006 12:30 PM

I'm flying from Boston to HNL and can't afford 1st class. Some people choose to stay over one night on the way, either in LA or Vegas. I'm opting for the sleeping pill thing.

Cassandra October 24th, 2006 05:40 PM

Here's a trick that might help. You'll see what the charge is for 1st class when you book your tickets online. Outrageous right? Few grand maybe?

Buy your coach tickets. When you get to the airport & check-in, ask the person at the desk if there is any First Class/Business (depending on the flight) seats open. If so, ask them how much would an upgrade be? The airlines will love you - especially if the flight is overbooked in coach.

Now I can't speak for your trip, but I know going from Hartford, CT to Florida, the upgrade on any airline was only $100. Yes, its a 2 1/2 flight I know.

Even if its $300, it's probably worth it with bigger seats & looking at a 10 hour flight? I shudder. I can't even make it Aruba or Las Vegas & that's only a 4 hour flight without going stir crazy. God Bless ya!!

crabbie1 October 24th, 2006 06:04 PM

HOW DO YOU COOPE WITH A 10 HOUR FLIGHT?

Our flight was only 8 hours from DFW, but was still long.

We passed the time by reading, walking up and down and listening to music on our ipods.

On the return flight we were in business class. More room, but still an 8 hour flight.

Hope you have a great time in Hawaii, we did.

crabbie1

chosen175 October 29th, 2006 12:15 AM

i flew nonstop from chicago to honolulu a few years back. my advice: book your flight to hawaii to leave around 5 or 6AM. that way, you can catch up on your sleep on the plane and be refreshed when you land.

yes, they showed 2 movies. i had a book and a drink or 2. i talked to my friend. i wrote in my travel journal. i even drew a picture of the entire rest of the plane as seen from my seat. (yes, i was THAT bored!)

get up to walk as much as you can. drink LOTS of water!!!!! you'll be amazed at how dehydrated a flight that long can make you. if the airport security allows it, take some lotion on the plane as well.

in all honesty, i'd never do another 8 1/2 hour flight if there was an option for a layover. even an hour or 2 would have made a huge difference!

lisa

bobc November 9th, 2006 02:47 PM

I can speak from our two trips, two to Hawaii, and one to Tahiti. I know my limits. Our first trip was from Atlanta to Houston to Honolulu, which was a 9-hour trip. After that, we have always stopped either in Los Angeles or San Francisco, just to get off the plane for a while. Usually, the fare is not much different than a non-stop flight

DalTX November 10th, 2006 07:57 AM

I flew from Houston to London this past July to cruise out of Venice..no problems on the flight over (13 hr flight)..on the way home was another thing! I tried to sleep more,not getting up and walking around and drinking water like on the flight over,and about an hour before we landed in Houston,my legs were swollen huge from my ankles to my knees! Ive NEVER had swelling in my ankes or legs,and I tell you,it was pretty freightening! My leg was like a rock,and it felt like it was going to split open at any moment! I spent the last hour of the flight walking laps in the plane and drinking water.I thought I was going to have to make a drs appt,but finally on the 3rd day after I got home,my legs started to feel and look normal again! Im 56 years old,but in pretty good physical shape..

They have several "how to combat jet lag" sites,but on my way home,I failed to heed the advice!They show you how to do certain excersies that will help you while seated. Also,make sure you take sandles so that if your feet swell,you will be able to put your shoes back on.I had bought special socks for long flights at Target to wear,and then found that BA gave us a goodie bag that contained some.

I said that I would NEVER fly coach again if it was over 5 hrs and here I am booked on a long flight to Hawaii in July! I will hope that our flight is NOT over booked and maybe I can upgrade at the airport! :) But,I wont count on it.Im just going to hope for the best.Im just glad I had the problem on my way home,and not on while I was in Venice.

I always wondered why most of the flights we checked were more expensive for layovers or plane changes...now Im thinking it might be due to jet lag! It never crossed my mind that I might want to get off that plane for a little while...hmm..I guess your never too old to learn something new :) Dot

Merg55 November 22nd, 2006 03:06 AM

We took an 11 hour flight to Oahu 2 years ago. This time we have a stop just to be able stretch.
I made up a little bag with eye drops, hand lotion, lip balm. and asked for water. I did seat exercises about every hour I was awake. (making your toe go in small circles etc.) Stood up and stretched. I also wore "flight socks" I do suggest them.

My trip over was fine however coming home was another story.

arrowhead55 November 26th, 2006 08:42 AM

I have flown many time to China and that is a 14-16 hour flight in Economy section. Get up and walk every 11/2-2 hours. Do not drink much acholhol on the flight drink water instead. Wear very comfortable clothes. Go to the back of the plane where the galley is to stretch and stand a while if the seatbelt sign is off. Get an aisle seat if possible or a window seat if you are planning to take the sleeping pill as suggested.
Good luck

redstangjt January 5th, 2007 08:03 PM

We flew from Columbus, OH, (3 hours) to Houston, Tx, then stright through to Honolulu, (8 1/2 to 9 hours). It was a very long flight, but I was able to read, watch a movie, and nap. It is very tiring, no matter where you sit. All I can say is that after getting up a 4:00 a.m., EST, and arriving in Honolulu 12:30 their time, the excitment once you are there is an adreniline rush, your not as tired as you think you will be. We walked all over town, ate dinner, and were still able to walk along Waikiki Beach after sunset. Hawaii takes away all the discomfort you felt on the flight over.

Chuck Palm January 15th, 2007 10:39 AM

My doctor says to take 2 benadryl pills and a glass of wine. It really works well. I also take a real pillow on board to squish in the space on a window seat. I can sleep quite well now and was never able to before.

DalTX January 15th, 2007 11:17 AM

If I took two pills and a glass of wine,I would have to be carried off still out! :)

Reminds me of my neighbor..he was afraid to fly,so he took a couple of pills and had a drink..she did have to help getting him off the plane..:)

NAS-KARR February 7th, 2007 11:35 AM

juliemccoy

I gotya beat.........12 hours JFK to PPT (Pepeete Tahiti).

CIAO,

selctsys February 8th, 2007 12:19 AM

The general rules of flying long haul are to sleep going east and stay awake going west. If I plan on sleeping on the plane going east, I like to leave as late as possible in the day from my departure city - e.g., 7:00PM + in LA for Europe.

For flights going west I like to leave really late - 11:00PM + (again assuming LA) if I plan on sleeping. My second choice would be to leave early in the day and catch a couple of hours of sleep early in the flight and then get up.

As has been stated, drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol. I don't like pills for a variety of reasons the least of which is that if the flight is diverted for some reason you don't want to get dragged of the plane in your sleep.

For your specific situation, I would catch first flight out of ATL and sleep for an hour or so at the begining of the flight. Think about eye shades, ear plugs and a neck pillow if you want to sleep. These can help make it much easier to get some sleep.

Other tricks are to set your watch to the time zone of your destination city as soon as you get on the plane and don't think about the time "back home". Resist the temptation to take a nap when you get to HI and go to bed at your normal time (HI time). Getting fresh air and getting some exercise can help you make it through what is a long day.

If you can make it through the first day and sleep in to a reasonable hour the next morining you'll be in good shape!

Good luck and have a great flight!

Phil&Liz April 1st, 2007 06:27 PM

When I flew from Houston to Tahiti in 2000 I split the trip up into 2 segments. I flew to LA and spent the night then took an afternoon flight to Tahiti on Hawaiian Air.

It is very important to get up and walk around during these long flights. Anyone over 40 should educate themselves on DVT-deep vein thrombosis.

Just get up and move around alot is the best suggestion for the long flight.

I video taped the sunset that seemed like it lasted half the trip !!!

Phil & Liz

10X April 2nd, 2007 05:10 PM

We've done Hawaii 3 times, Tahiti once, and now we're off to Australia for a 31 day Sydney to San Francisco. We fly from Michigan and have learned to break up the flights. For Hawaii and Tahiti we flew to LA and spent the night. We then went the last leg the next day and well rested from the first flight. For Australia we're flying from Michigan to San Francisco, spending the night, then off to Hawaii for one night, then the last leg, about 10-11 hours to Sydney. Breaking it up like this makes it more bearable.

nbevins April 3rd, 2007 06:58 AM

long flight

we flew from cairns australia to sydney;
\changed to internaional flight to lax(we had a a 5 hour layover that turned into 1/2 hour or so--when the fog kept us from landing in lax--since we were vertually out of fuel we flew over mountain to ontario california--where we refueled --2 hours- and waited for the fog to clear--we were surrounded by security as we had not cleared customs--by the time we got to lax we carried our bags frm international terminal to national terminal--only that plane was also delayed a bit)

from lax we flew to detroit--total flying time was something like 24 hours

We left australa chrristmas day and arrived christmas day

Cassandra May 19th, 2007 08:07 PM

The whole medical field even says to walk around on a plane. I use to work the front desk of a physical therapy office & they always said every 15 minutes or so. The circulation in your legs is the thing. Keeps blood from pooling, etc. Plus its good for your muscles.

The other thing for a long flight, after you get on & get settled, take your shoes off. Walk around in your socks except for when going to the bathroom. It helps with circulation since your shoes/sneakers, etc. won't put pressure on the circulation.

robinpow May 21st, 2007 03:08 AM

This is an excellent question, that many don't think about.

I've done over a dozen long haul flights (10+ hours). Some were real long hauls that consisted of several of these flights with layovers lasting between 30 minutes and 8 hours for a total of 30 plus hours travel time.

There are several tricks to the trade.

First check see if there is any way you can upgrade. Check with friends and family to see if they might have some frequent flyer miles they would share. Look for the deals. Do everything you can to get moved to the front!

I've rode the 'back of the bus' my first two trips, NEVER AGAIN. Most people don't understand what a difference it makes, but trust me there is a big difference. I'm not just talking about the free drinks, better food, better service, larger seats, comfort kits, free on demand movies, priority boarding, extra luggage limits and the list goes on. I'm talking frame of mind.

Being herded like cattle, cramped into a seat two sizes to small, for more than 4 hours is rough on the brain as well as the body.

However if you can't move to the front, here are some good basic tips to survive the 'cattle car'.

Try to get a seat at the bulkhead or the emergency row. These have more leg room.

Window seats are nice, but remember everyone will have to get up to let you out. If you plan to sleep it's great, but if you are prone to need to make 'pit stops' you might want an isle seat.

Eat a nice meal before you leave, and take some snacks onboard with you. If you are lucky, the food might be good, however as a rule it's more like "Purna People Chow".

Don't worry about your looks, dress in comfortable clothing. Tight clothing, and heals are a real killer.

Take a little care package in your carry on. A little cheap pair of thin slippers, toothbrush, toothpaste, and a travel size bottles of body freshener and lotion will do wonders!!! If you are real nice, you can ask the flight attendant if he/she might be able to find you a 'comfort kit'. I've seen them many times come up front and grab a kit for two for an economy passengers.

No matter where you sit, DRINK LOTS OF WATER and move the body!!!! They will show you a short film on exercises you can do in your seat, do them.

As for the mental part, if you are lucky you might enjoy the movies. However be prepared, just in case they aren't to your liking. Bring something to read, an iPOD, or your laptop, anything you might enjoy.

Sleeping isn't easy, however try to take a nap. Not only will this pass time, but will help you make the time change jump.

Most of all, remember to pack your sense of humor.

Joe323 March 6th, 2008 02:51 PM

Its not as bad as you think I've done it several times. I sugest getting up several times to stretch. perhaps a nap and a few drinks

Kamloops Cruiser September 14th, 2008 03:36 PM

Re: HOW DO YOU COPE WITH A 10 HOUR FLIGHT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliemccoy

So I finally got our flight times for our upcoming NCL WIND cruise in NOV. and aside from the anticipation and excitment of counting down the days to go, I'm faced with a new emotion of shock.

ANYONE whose made the trip to HNL or elsewhere, how do you make it through???? :?:

For our cruise Mar 2010 we are looking at a 16 hr non-stop
from Vancouver BC to Sydney Aust. Taking a number of different flights means more time waiting in airports .
Total travel could be up to 36 hrs.

aleko October 24th, 2008 11:07 PM

Re: HOW DO YOU COPE WITH A 10 HOUR FLIGHT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliemccoy

So...my dear, I just turned from the most wonderful cruise I ever made (in fact it was the only one till now, but sure not the last one!).I was in Hawaii (from Honolulu to Mexico).
You make me smile...Are you scare about your 10 hours flight??? I FLEW FOR THIS CRUISE ABOUT 19 HOURS, BY 3 AIRCRAFTS, AND MY TRAVEL WAS 26 HOURS FROM MY COUNTRY TO HONOLULU!!! and...above all these...I WAS ALONE! JUST ME,MYSELF & I!
But, of course... when you have some facilities...everything is more easy.
I recomand you to make the check-in on-line (if you have this possibbilieties).I flew with KLM and AIRFRANCE and they have this options.If you make check-in on-line, you can get the best seats in the plane (in fact, you choose the seat you want).This option is open with 24 hours before the time of flight.Check if the company edited your ticket offers this facility.
Ah...by the way...when I came back ...I was very lucky! The plane was not so full and I told operator I'm very tired, and he was very sweet and nice and blocked for me an entiry row with 4 seats!!! I slept like a queen!

Good luck!

kryos December 15th, 2008 06:36 PM

Ativan and red wine. :)

Not a recommended remedy, but it works. Though, I have to admit, I've not yet tried it on a 10+ hour flight. That's pretty long!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Cathe09 January 28th, 2009 01:54 PM

We also are on the east coast and will be flying in to HNl via ATL. in November. Both my husband an I has extreme swelling when we flew to Italy last year. So this will be our first time flying first class. Between now and then we will be pinching pennies, however, the extra seat and leg room will be appreciated. I was told by a few airlines that since so many flights have been cut back, that first class can fill up quickly.

Comfortable clothing and shoes makes all the difference. Yoga pants are really comfortable flying gear.

Taking naps and having a good book to read helps pass the time quickly. I also have a hand=held Soduku that keeps me quite busy.