Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
Beginner

Default Seasoned cruisers, please help

I'm considering a Hawaii cruise for early 2007. I know....I should have it booked by now. I will be flying to the west coast from New Hampshire. Would it add to my trip (pleasure/jetlag wise) to sail from LA, or should I just fly straight to Hawaii? How long a cruise to the islands from CA? I can spare only about 10 days. Thanks, Judith
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

Hi, We are booked on the POH in May 2007. We will fly from Boston to HNL spend two days there before the cruise sails on Monday. With only ten days for vacation this was the best plan for us. Sailing from CA would be nice but it adds 4-5 days to the trip, and usually a whole lot of money.
Old October 24th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Very helpful, thank you!
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:36 AM
Familiar Face

Don't worry about booking late.... the prices are looking great right now!
We go in January and we booked in May.... wish we booked later, the airfare is much less now also.

You need to decide between 2 things. Take a cruise from the west coast and spend a total of 8 days on the sea. (Now that sounds like a lot of fun to me but I wanted to be able to spend as much time as possible in Hawaii) Flying directly to Honolulu or Maui is a very long flight. I'd recommend that you book a flight that has a stop so you can walk some.

I was hit with Jet Lag.... I would wake up at 2:00am and couldn't go back to sleep for 2 days. I was rested and my system was adjusted by the time we sailed. Made the cruise much more enjoyable So we were glad we flew in a week early and rented a condo. We went to Hawaii 2 years ago and flew into Honolulu, this time we are flying into Maui for a couple of days before we sail)

Our friends flew in 2 days before we sailed and then they stayed in Honolulu post cruise for a couple of days.

We have a limited budget and we knew we might not be able to get back to the islands again, so we wanted to experience as much as we could on our vacation. (We are lucky enought to be able to return in 2007 and can't wait )

Voyager of the Seas
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Judith,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm considering a Hawaii cruise for early 2007. I know....I should have it booked by now. I will be flying to the west coast from New Hampshire. Would it add to my trip (pleasure/jetlag wise) to sail from LA, or should I just fly straight to Hawaii? How long a cruise to the islands from CA? I can spare only about 10 days.
Sorry that I missed your post earlier, as you posted it on the day I left Los Angeles to head to Hawai'i and back aboard GTS Infinity. I flew to the islands a couple years ago for a conference, and I must say that the four days at sea each way were MUCH more pleasant than flying to the islands!

Realisitcally, there are three options.

>> 1. You can fly to the islands, take a cruise (typically seven nights) around the islands, and fly back. Unfortunately, Norwegian Cruise Line is the only cruise line that offers this itinerary so your options would be limited. I hesitate to recommend Norwegian Cruise Line to anybody because it's the line about whcih I hear the most mixed comments from passengers -- some think it's wonderful and others think that it really falls short in many ways. If "freestyle cruising" is your style, though, it might be a good choice.

>> 2. You can take a cruise "one way" and fly the other. Such cruises typically last ten or eleven nights, and typcially operate in late April and early May or in late September and early October by ships repositioning to or from Alaska. I would recommend flying to Hawai'i and taking the cruise back, if only because most people find that jet lag is less problematic when you fly westward. With this option, the cruise will operate between Honolulu and either Ensendata or Vancouver to comply with a U. S. law correctly called the Passenger Services Act.

>> 3. You can take a cruise round trip to the islands from either Los Angeles or San Diego. Such cruises typically last fourteen or fifteen nights with four days traniting each way, five or six days in the islands, and a brief stop en route one way or the other in Ensenada, usually at night, to comply with the Passenger Services Act. The advantage of this approach is that you have four days to rest and unwind before the intense sightseeing and four days to rest before returning to work after the intense sightseeing. Some cruise lines, including Princess and Celebrity, offer this itinerary throughout the fall-winter cruise season.

I highly recomment the third option if there's any way at all that you can swing the vacation time.

Have a wonderful cruise, whichever you decide!

Norm.