Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Beginner

Default Pre-Cruise in San Pedro

We are currently planning to cruise to Hawaii in January 2008 on Princess. Planning on doing the pre-cruise in San Perdo. However not sure which hotel would be recommended. Also how is the neighborhood where the hotels are located. Any thoughts?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Pre-Cruise in San Pedro

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are currently planning to cruise to Hawaii in January 2008 on Princess. Planning on doing the pre-cruise in San Perdo. However not sure which hotel would be recommended. Also how is the neighborhood where the hotels are located. Any thoughts?
The most seemless option is to purchase a precruise package through your cruise line, as this includes transfers between the hotel and the pier (the transfer between the airport and the hotel is part of the cruise line's air package).

If you are looking for something less expensive, I got a great rate with a prepaid (non-refundable) room at the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport a few years ago. The catch is that the piers at San Pedro are not exactly next to the airport, so a taxi won't be cheap and the hotel's shuttle probably won't take you there because it's too far. A hotel in Long Beach also would be an option, though, as Long Beach is right next to San Pedro.

Norm.
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can always stay across the bridge in Long Beach on the original Queen Mary!
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

There are two hotels within walking distance from the cruise pier. The area is somewhat on the rough side at night in that there is public housing across the main street from the dock, and about four blocks from the hotels. I would recommend not wandering around too much at night, but the area is relatively safe during the daytime. Here's some info on San Pedro ("Pedro" to the locals). There's quite a bunch of interesting stuff in the area, including the maritime museum just across the street from the hotels on Harbor Blvd. and 6th Street. There's another nice hotel in the Cabrillo Beach area, which is about another mile from the dock. Plenty of decent restaurants within walking distance.http://www.sanpedro.com/
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

We flew out to LA on Jan. 5 (Celebrity Panama Canal - full transit on Jan. 6) and stayed on the old Queen Mary. Was interesting - has a nice
restaurant (dont' go to the Steak House - lousey service). The room or I should say cabin was quite roomy but remember the ship is old - lots and lots of woodwork - our cabin was down the hall from Winston Churchill's suite and we were able to "peek" in and walk around when the maid was
cleaning - I booked through our Entertainment Book and got a reasonable
price considering it was in the same area as our Celebrity ship was leaving from - the cab ride took about 20 minutes and ran about $ 30 - this was about 11 am on a Sat. morning. We took the shuttle service the
day before from the airport to the Hotel - don't bother to book ahead - they seemed to loose our reservations - the shuttle is about $ 17 @ - I am sure it stops at a lot of other hotels - in my research, I didn't want to
pay $ 150 for a one-nite stay in LA which was what my TA suggested but
that was before I told her about the Entertainment book option.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Passenger

San Pedro is not the best place anymore the neighbor hoods have gon down hill. Ans just up the hill from San Pedro are the multi-million dollar Palos Verdes area. Unfortunately, no hotels there. There is a nice place to have Sunday brunch if your around there at the Port's A Call Restaurant. Very nice and still has much class. Otherwise, I would stay in Redondo Beach before San Pedro.

Theresa
Www.travelinwiththeresa.com