Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Best Ship for Hawaii??

Hi, my family and I are looking into a Hawaiian cruise for June 2008 and we would like to know which line would be better. I'm hearing such awful things about NCL (especially about the cleanliness- I am a neat freak so that wouldn't work). How was Princess?
Any imput would be much appreciated. Good and Bad please.
Thank you guys!!
Shari
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Best Ship for Hawaii??

Shari,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi, my family and I are looking into a Hawaiian cruise for June 2008 and we would like to know which line would be better. I'm hearing such awful things about NCL (especially about the cleanliness- I am a neat freak so that wouldn't work). How was Princess?
Any imput would be much appreciated. Good and Bad please.
Thank you guys!!
Objectively, no line is better than any other. Some lines may be more upscale, or more formal in the evening, or have fancier cuisine, but that's all a matter of style -- and it may or may not be a better match for your style and your tastes. If you are not familiar with the differences in the various lines, you'll need to do your homework to determine which line would be the best match for your style and tastes. I recommend buying a travel guide to cruise lines and cruise ships (all of the major series of travel guides, including Frommer's, Fodor's, Berlitz, and Sterns, publish them) and reading the descriptions of the major cruise lines to get a sense of the differences so that you can make an informed selection.

That said, you should be aware that there are significant differences in the "Hawai'i" itineraries offered by the various lines. The "NCL America" division of Norwegian Cruise Line offers the only cruises that begin and end in Hawai'i and thus that can visit all of the islands in a week -- which are legal only because the "NCL America" vessels are of U. S. registry (required under U. S. law to operate this itinerary). All other cruise lines offer either (1) cruises of about ten or eleven nights that operate "one way" between Honolulu and either Vancover or Ensenada or (2) cruises of about fourteen or fifteen nights that operate round trip from either Los Angeles or San Diego, with a brief stop in Ensenada to meet legal requirements.

Have a great cruise, whichever line you choose!

Norm.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you for your input! I've been trying to get travel guides and looking up Frommer's online, just trying to help my mom out. I've only been on Carnival ships (the newer ones) so they kind of spoiled me. Thank you again!
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Shari,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thank you for your input! I've been trying to get travel guides and looking up Frommer's online, just trying to help my mom out. I've only been on Carnival ships (the newer ones) so they kind of spoiled me. Thank you again!
You're welcome!

And any of the major bookstores, like Barnes & Noble or Borders, probably would have three or four of the travel guides to cruise lines and cruise ships in stock, though where they might be within the travel section is sometimes hard to predict. Don't hesitate to ask a clerk for assistance!

Norm.
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

if it helps you we went on the Pride of America for our honeymoon in 2005 and we are going back next year. I grew up cruising on the greatest cruise line ever (hands down) Home Lines and was used to luxe service and did not have a hard time with NCL. the cleanlieness comments i think are mostly from disgruntled former employees or from people who had bad cruises,which can happen on any cruise line. go with NCL you will have fun and experience the islands to the upmost.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I was just on Pride Of America this past July..we loved it! Of course,we didnt spend that much time onboard,and only ate at the buffet. We used the ship as a place to crash and get us to the next port. But,loved it so much that we are going back Jan 2009! Now,was it the best ship Ive been on,probably not,but we didnt really have that much time to notice. Dot
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Passenger

On Princess it's a 15 day round trip out of LA or one ways from other ports.Went on the Island Princess and will leave of the Diamond Princess in Jan 08 But Princess does not go to the Islands in June, all the ships are in Alaska at that time.
Caribbean Princess-2004
Sea Princess-2002
Golden Princess-2001
Royal Caribbean Grander of the Sea 2000
Grand Princess-1998
Star Princess (Old)-1997
Sun Princess-1996
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Beginner

If you are flying to Hawaii & then going on a cruise, there are 2 choices, on Norwegian Cruise Line. The Pride of Ahoha is a 10-day cruise & has 2 days at sea as it goes back & forth to Fanning Island. The Pride of America, the newer & larger ship cruises the Hawaiian Islands for 7 days. I just went on the Pride of America cruise in Dec & I highly recommend it without hesitation. Everything about the whole trip was wonderful. The islands are beautiful, each one being different & the cruise ship, staff, food, etc were excellent. So if you've read any bad reviews like I did before we went, ignore them. Just enjoy!
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Beginner

JUST FOUND WEB PAGE AND HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TRIP. I HAVE SAILED TO HAWAII SEVERAL TIME ON DIFFERENT SHIPS IN THE PRINCESS LINES AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. MY LAST SAILING TO HAWAII WAS IN 2OO3 ON THE REGAL PRINCESS.
I AM HOPING TO GO AGAIN THIS YEAR ON THE GOLDEN PRINCESS IN NOVEMBER 2OO8 AND LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO ENJOYS TRAVELING AS MUCH AS I DO TO PERHAPS SHARE THE CABIN NOW AND MAYBE AGAIN NEXT YEAR TO ALASKA. IF INTERESTED SEND MESSAGE AND WILL CHECK AGAIN IN A DAY OR SO?
THANK YOU
BARBARA