Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Yeoman

Default Which luau on Oahu?

Which is the most amazing Luau on Oahu? Can be offered by cruise line or independently? Thanks, Carla
Old September 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Which luau on Oahu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Which is the most amazing Luau on Oahu? Can be offered by cruise line or independently? Thanks, Carla
I have not yet visted Oahu but am going in November. My sister who has visited numerous times says that Paridise Cove is the best. I have reserved seats for my trip already.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Which luau on Oahu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaMichele
I have not yet visted Oahu but am going in November. My sister who has visited numerous times says that Paridise Cove is the best. I have reserved seats for my trip already.
Please let me know how you liked it. I have read mixed reviews on it.

The top 2 seem to be Paradise Cove and the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau/Show so hopefully you will have a great luau
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Beginner

Germaine's Luau is also a very popular one. I have been to paradise Cove, Poly. culture center, and Germaine's . Keep in mind too that PCC is owned by the Mormon church so no alcohol will be served there as compared to the other two which do if that is in your plans. Personnaly my wife and I enjoyed paradise cove over Germaine's for we felt it was in a beautiful location. We don't drink alcohol and Germaine's on the occasion we went seemed like a lot of alcohol all over; where paradise was not so much. What ever you chose; you will ahve have a great time.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Let's see I went to Hawaii when I was 21 years old and still remember how much I enjoyed the Parasdie Cove luau. As a side note my mom enjoyed it too. She was born on the big island of Hawaii and we have been to many luaus in California. I make a heck of a good Crockpot kahlua pork. We did the Polynesian Cultural Center to but that wasn't a traditonal "luau" it was more of a Polynesian Buffet.

To me a Luau should feature the whole pig (kahlua pork) being pulled from the ground. The food items should in Chicken long rice, Lomilomi Salmon, Hawaiian style Macaroni Salad, Haupia, and poi. Laulau are also very good. The enertain has to include fire dancers. Enjoy!!
http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Admiral

I just realized you may not have heard of the food I listed.
kahlua pork, at a luau the whole pig is wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in an "imu," an oven dug into the ground.

Chicken long rice, this is like a chicken soup made with bean curd noodles which are clear noodles.

Lomilomi Salmon, is a It is a fresh tomato and salmon salad. It is typically prepared by mixing raw salted, diced salmon with tomatoes, sweet gentle Maui onions (or sometimes green onion), and occasionally flakes of hot red chili pepper, or crushed ice. It is always served cold.

Hawaiian style Macaroni Salad, well this is close to regular mac salad, however, lots of mayonnaise, they grate the hard boiled egg into the salad, add peas and carrots.

Haupia, is a traditional coconut milk-based Hawaiian dessert. Although technically considered a pudding, the consistency of haupia closely approximates gelatin desserts and is usually served in blocks like gelatin.

Poi, is made by mashing steamed Taro into a liquid consitency. The other food are very tasty. However, Poi is yucky (my mom loves it ).

Laulau, the dish wraps salted butterfish, and either pork, beef, or chicken into a ti leaf and steams until cooked.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were in Oahu a few years backon a pre cruise star and went to Paridise Cove and really enjoyed it, we booked it on our own before going over and they had a shuttle bus pick us up by our hotel and returned us after, no charge. We feel Paridise Cove is the best.