Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default What's best cruise line for Hawaii??

We are planning on taking a Hawaii cruise in 2009. We will be bringing our 2 young children (6 and 8 at that time) and my parents. What is the best cruiseline to go on??

I have noticed when checking prices that you can take a 12 day Carnival for the same price as the 7 day NCLA. I don't mind the days at sea, but I like the fact that you spend more time at the islands with NCLA. MY biggest fear with NCLA is the bad reviews that I read in the message board. We went on the Norwegian Star last year and didn't have any complants after we got aboard. Is NCLA really that bad or do people just expect to much??

An suggestions or advice would be great.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Beginner

I hope you get some answers because i am curious as to others' answers as well.

I'm not much help because I've only been on *1* cruise--NCL--Pride of Aloha and I loved it. But it was my first cruise--I had nothing to compare it to--no prior expecations--all I know is that it went to my most favorite place--Hawaii and that's all that was needed for me to have a good trip!

But I definietely want to go on another cruise and if another cruise is even better, there, I've love to hear about it!

Michelle
NEEDS A VACATION BAD!
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is typical that first-time cruisers love NCLA, but more experienced cruisers see differences. If NCLA is that good, imagine how great another cruise line will be. Don't get me wrong NCLA is worth taking, but there are a few "crewing" issues with their all US-crew.

Anyway - several cruise lines go to Hawaii at least a few times a year. Celebrity goes pretty often, as well as Princess and Holland America.

I would look for a newer ship. I see Celebrity Summit, and Diamond Princess both go.

However, if price is a factor, Celebrity Mercury was just featured in our last newsletter had this deal...

11-night Celebrity
Celebrity Mercury to Hawaii from just $699 per person!
CruiseMates says: A premium ship at a great price. Click below to find it.

http://www.cruisemates.com/CF/bargains/newsletter.html

Old September 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Passenger

I have done the 7 night NCL, the 11 night one way Ensenada to Honolulu on Celebrity and have done 15 night roundtrip on Celebrity once and Royal caribbean once. And without a doubt for us the 15 nighter is the most cost effective and pleasant. You spend 4 days sailing over, a week in the islands and sail 4 days back. We never got jet lag, Hawaii is 5 hour difference from our time zone, and we got cheap roundtrip air to San Diego. The food is wonderful as well as the service and cabins. I cannot say that about NCL. It often times is CHEAP but there is a reason for that, people talk and most of it is as bad as you have read. I cruise a lot and I would never do NCL Hawaii again, no matter how low the price is. My feeling with Carnival, if you are going to spend 12 days on the cruise and you still have to get one way air from Hawaii and dollar for dollar, it will be up there is price, even more than the 15 nighter. I booked in April 2006 for the 15 night sailing October 2007 and for a balcony we are paying only 1570.00 per person including port charges and tax.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

I would prefer to do the 14 day, but with taking the kids out of school and my wifes desirer to spend more time at the ports, it might be a lost cause.

I never though about Celeberty since I figured it would be expensive. But since you both mentioned it, I checked and it wasn't that much more. It was actually cheaper than Princess. Looks like I might have anouther option to consider.

Thanks again for your feed-back.

Princess Golden - Meaxican Riviera Oct/Nov '07
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera Oct '06
Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina/Mexico April '02
Disney Wonder - 3 day Bahamas Nov '99
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Passenger

CARNIVAL SPIRIT HAWAII CRUISE 2007: Fantastic cruise! Woke up every morning in a new port! Ship was more like a hotel the first week. Very few planned activities onboard. The last five days were very relaxing and (fortunately) the seas were unusually calm. We arrived back in Ensenada, MX mid day on the last day and were allowed to visit Ensenada like a regular port. Buses arrived at midnight to take back to the USA. They were packed and we boarded at 4:30AM. Although we had herd horror stories about the birder crossing, it was very quick. We got off the bus leaving our luggage onboard. We walked through Boarder Patrol and Customs very quickly. Our bus arrived a few minutes later and we all made early flights with plenty of time to spare. Although 12 days is a long time to vacation, the price per day was very low. I would recommend this trip to anyone.

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If you only have 7-days and you want to really see hawaii, then NCL's Pride of Hawaii is probably the best option. You fly to Honolulu and board the ship, and then every day you are in port, staying overnight in Maui and the Big Island (Hilo one night and Kona the next).

There are three ships, but Pride of Hawaii is the newest and the nicest, and this is its last year in service in hawaii (they are moving it to Europe).

I see prices as low as $399/week on all three NCL ships in Hawaii, or $899 per person with airfare included. That is a very good deal.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Beginner

As you may already know the Pride of Hawaii has left Hawaii, leaving you a choice of the 2 NCL ships that cruise the islands. The Pride of Aloha also goes to Fanning Island, so it is a 10 day cruise & include 2 days at sea. The Pride of America is the 7 day cruise going to all the Hawaiian islands, starting & returning to Honolulu. I've been on a couple other cruises & just returned from the POA one in Dec & it was EXCELLENT. So if you read some reviews about their being problems, ignore them. We were very surprised at how wonderful everything was & all the passengers we talked to felt the same way. The islands are all special in their own way with so much to do. Don't forget to spend some time on Oahu before or after your cruise too.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Passenger

We went on NCL Pride of America two years ago. Loved the ship. The only problem we had was the weather. We went in February and it rained pretty much non-stop 6 out of the 7 days we were on the cruise! Talk about bad timing and luck!
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Admiral

The obvious that wasn't really mentioned is NCL has an American crew and is US flagged so they stay in the Hawaiian Islands. The others are foreign flagged so they have to port in a non US place (usually Fanning Island) for maritime regs. So keep that in mind when planning a cruise.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82