Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Default Information PLEASE...........

My husband and I are are planning a Hawaii cruise in April or May HOPEFULLY. Radiance of the Sea is one ship we are considering, BUT we would prefer to go between March and April and there seems to be only HAL and NCL that go then. I've read so many pros and cons to HAL and NCL that I am afraid to veer from Royal Caribbean. Can anyone give me any information about these ships/cruise lines? Has anyone gone on the Hawaii cruise with more than one cruise line so that they can compare itineries. If you have sailed the Hawaii route before, is there a preference as to which side of the ship to be on? Seems that if you sail the same direction that one side would always be away from land view.

Thanks so much for ANY help you can give. This will be a special cruise for us and we are just used to RCCL but would LIKE to go on a different cruise line if it is comparable. We like the idea of the circle cruise but again not if HAL isn't "up to par" and from what I've heard, it's questionable. I realize that as with anything, some will love it and some hate it, I'm just looking for a nice clean ship, good service (not necessarily excellent) and enjoyable, restful time.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Admiral

We love the Radiance and have sailed her twice. We have only been on 1 NCL and did not like it. We cruised HAL once and loved it. You can try Princess. I think the Diamond Princess offers the most dates for this route, 5 sea days 5 port days, 5 sea days, very relaxing. You can always join us on the Diamond Princess in mid-February. We are celebrating our 35th anniversary. There are about 20 others also going from another cruise board. Only 76 more days!!!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Passenger

If your have the time take the Diamond Princess out of LA Harbor, it's 15 days round trip, with no hotels to check in and out of. No car to rent.l No meals to buy(unless you want to). No roundtrip Airfares to deal with, or overbooking and lost luggage to deal with. 4 nights at seas visit the islands, 4 nights back to just relax free shows every night it you want to we just love it. or trips to the Carribbean and Alaske are nice but just not as relaxing as the 15 day cruise to the Islands.
Caribbean Princess-2004
Sea Princess-2002
Golden Princess-2001
Royal Caribbean Grander of the Sea 2000
Grand Princess-1998
Star Princess (Old)-1997
Sun Princess-1996
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Beginner

Can't tell if you're planning on taking a long cruise from the continental states to Hawaii or just interested in a cruise around the islands. I have been on 3 cruises now & they actually all have been great. Just went on the 7 day NCL cruise of the Pride of America & it was wonderful in every way. We were very impressed with everything, especially after hearing some bad previous reviews. Everyone we talked to on the cruise thought it was excellent. So we can certainly recommend it if you want to cruise the islands.
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
First Mate

We've done HAL's RT San Diego to Hawaii in 2005, and we're booked again in April. Different ship-1 different port.

If I have to be on a ship for 15 days, I want it to be HAL !

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Admiral

What I can add to this discussion is I loved the Radiance. Except for the larger FOTS, it is the best ship I have ever cruised. But - if it does not fit into your plans, make a judgement and hopefully it will work out.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default Hawaii cruise

Go with the Diamond Princess.We have been on it to Alaska and once on a repo cruise.Both times it was incredible.
I highly recommend Princess.

R&R
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Information PLEASE...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chejo
My husband and I are are planning a Hawaii cruise in April or May HOPEFULLY. Radiance of the Sea is one ship we are considering, BUT we would prefer to go between March and April and there seems to be only HAL and NCL that go then. I've read so many pros and cons to HAL and NCL that I am afraid to veer from Royal Caribbean. Can anyone give me any information about these ships/cruise lines? Has anyone gone on the Hawaii cruise with more than one cruise line so that they can compare itineries. If you have sailed the Hawaii route before, is there a preference as to which side of the ship to be on? Seems that if you sail the same direction that one side would always be away from land view.

Thanks so much for ANY help you can give. This will be a special cruise for us and we are just used to RCCL but would LIKE to go on a different cruise line if it is comparable. We like the idea of the circle cruise but again not if HAL isn't "up to par" and from what I've heard, it's questionable. I realize that as with anything, some will love it and some hate it, I'm just looking for a nice clean ship, good service (not necessarily excellent) and enjoyable, restful time.
A lot depends on what you want in terms of activites and
nightlife.
We have done both HAL(Alaska) and RCL (Caribbean)
we preferred HAL , it seemed that the ship was quieter and
we where able to find a private quiet spot to sit and relax.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess