CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Is Hawaii Cruise suitable for kids ages 6 and 8? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/350112-hawaii-cruise-suitable-kids-ages-6-8-a.html)

akosolofski April 18th, 2008 02:11 PM

Is Hawaii Cruise suitable for kids ages 6 and 8?

I am wondering if taking kids on a long trip to Hawaii is suitable for kids ages 6 and 8? This would be our first cruise. I am not sure where to start but this would help.

Thanks
Angela :roll:

spikesgirl May 1st, 2008 05:31 PM

Angela - You might want to check out something with NCL and I think it's about 7 days long. There is an island a day, plus an overnight in Maui on some itineraries.

There are tons of things to do in Hawai'i, but your kids might be at the age where they'd be happier in a hotel in Honolulu. Six might be a bit young for some of the Nature experiences, like Waimea Canyon, Haleakala, Volcano National Park. The islands are, however, very kid friendly - Hawaiians love kids!

Princess also offers a cruise, but it's much longer and has lots of sea days, which might be hard on your kids as well. I would suggest definitely looking at one of NCL's island cruises instead.

My first suggestion would be to find a local TA and see what they suggest.

Good cruising!

Rev22:17 May 13th, 2008 04:00 PM

Re: Is Hawaii Cruise suitable for kids ages 6 and 8?

Angela,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I am wondering if taking kids on a long trip to Hawaii is suitable for kids ages 6 and 8? This would be our first cruise. I am not sure where to start but this would help.

A cruise to Hawai'i with your children should be great -- and unlike the other responder, I do NOT recommend the NCL America seven night cruise around the islands.

>> On the days at sea, all of the major cruise lines have extensive programs for children (ages 3-7) and youth (ages 8-12) orchestrated by professional counsellors. The worst challenge that you may face during the cruise may well be tearing your children away from these programs when it's time to get ready for dinner or whatever. Your children also are old enough to attend the evening shows, which are very family friendly on the major cruise lines.

>> All of the Hawai'ian ports of call have great activities for children, ranging from boat tours to a visit to a live volcano (yes, it's safe!) from Hilo.

By way of preparation, it might be good to take your children to out for a few dinners at nice restaurants just so they get the hang of putting their napkins on their laps when they sit down at the table, using utinsils from the outside in, using the bread and butter plates to their left, etc.

And to anticipate a very common question, the evening dress code for children is exactly the same as for adults.

Norm.