CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Pearls (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/350263-pearls.html)

SSLETSCRUISE April 22nd, 2008 10:30 AM

Pearls

Hi Everyone,
Now is the big count down. Only 2 weeks until we leave on our Princess cruise from Tahiti to Hawaii. I have been looking forward to this for 3 years and now it's finally here. I just need to know where the best place is to buy pearls? Papeete, Moorea or Bora Bora. I know it isn't Christmas Island since from what I understand it is a very small island. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Ssletscruise

spikesgirl May 1st, 2008 05:23 PM

Your best spot will probably be Papette, just becuase there are more stores there. Prices fluxate wildly from store to store so don't be taken in by your first stop. Check into Vaima Center and watch the video (it will give you pointers. Also don't forget to check Quartier du Commerce out (behind Tahiti Sports) - they have some good values. You will pay about $100 (and more) for a pearl in a setting for a good quality black pearl The important thing is to find a clerk that you like and feel comfortable with. There are LOTS of choices. Have fun!

spikesgirl May 1st, 2008 05:24 PM

Your best spot will probably be Papette, just because there are more stores there. Prices fluxuate wildly from store to store so don't be taken in by your first stop. Check into Vaima Center and watch the video (it will give you pointers. Also don't forget to check Quartier du Commerce out (behind Tahiti Sports) - they have some good values. You will pay about $100 (and more) for a pearl in a setting for a good quality black pearl The important thing is to find a clerk that you like and feel comfortable with. There are LOTS of choices. Have fun!

SSLETSCRUISE May 2nd, 2008 02:51 PM

Thank you for your reply. We leave this Tuesday and I am so excited I just can't wait. I am not a huge fan of pearls but the more I have been looking at them the more I do like them in a setting. I just received an email from a jeweler advertising chocolate pearls with chocolate diamonds. It was really pretty but I am not comfortable purchasing things I am not familliar with. I know that black pearls are the thing to buy in Tahiti. I usually try to purchase a little token when I travel. Some people collect plates I collect jewelry. LOL

Thanks again to all. I'll write when I get back :)

Phil&Liz May 2nd, 2008 03:00 PM

You could do as I did when I was there in 2000......I bought 5 loose pearls of various quality/sizes and had them set here in the states.

Phil & Liz

lindazoo July 21st, 2008 09:30 PM

hope you had a good trip and bought your pearls in the south pacific and took your credit card with you....but they are so beautiful.

SSLETSCRUISE July 22nd, 2008 04:35 PM

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did bring my credit cards along with the intention of purchasing a strand of the beautiful Tahitian Pearls. While we were in Tahiti we did shop for pearls but they were so expensive. I ended up purchasing a single pearl on the ship I'm not so sure it was a better deal but, we had quite a bit of ship credit so I decided to spend it on a pearl. Before going on the trip I was not a huge fan of pearls but while in the South Pacific I developed an appreciation for them. Of course I couldn't go home without at least one :)

Our trip was super, we couldn't have asked for anything more (except having more money) our travel mates (met here on cruisemates) were absolutley fabulous and the Tahitian Princess was great. We loved every minute of our trip, even the 4 days at sea. On the last day I realized I hadn't even had a chance to try the pizza. We were too busy eating the warm cookies in the afternoon mmmm I miss those. We can't wait for our next big trip (Greece). Hopefully, we can travel with our new friends we met here on Cruisemates. That's the plan anyway.

Take Care,
Ssletscruise