CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Hawaii - Cruise or Land (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/383130-hawaii-cruise-land.html)

anniegb June 15th, 2011 02:05 PM

Hawaii - Cruise or Land

For 2012, I have rejected the Caribbean in favour of Hawaii. I think it has more of a wow factor. Awesome is reserved solely for the Grand Canyon :)

At this stage in the planning process, I intend to fly to HNL. I know a flight time of 24 hrs from Europe is long.

The debate is between a cruise or a land tour of the islands.

What would your advice be for a first time visitor to the islands? This trip is unlikely to be repeated as I have far too many other places I wish to visit. The length of the visit can be variable upto a month -is that too long? Bear in mind I am a bit of a history buff and not a shopper.

Thanks in advance

Annie

Doug S June 15th, 2011 02:39 PM

Done both. For a first time I'd do the land tour. A follow up cruise is fun, but I'd island hop from condo to condo on my first venture. On our cruise this year we re-visited many of our previous visit's destinations and that was nice.

My impression... land in Honolulu, do the Pearl Harbor tour, cruise the Waikiki beach strip on day one, then jump over to the other Islands ASAP. It was pretty much a tourist trap to me.

Fit a luau into your program somewhere. They are kinda hokey, but a fun time.

Trackypup June 15th, 2011 03:01 PM

Normally I automatically say Land. But you have up to a month with is wonderful. You could do a little of both to save moving around so much. You could either fly to Honolulu and do Pride of America which as long as you lower your cruise expectations a tad...ok more than a tad... it's a fantastic way to get an overview of Hawaii, it also does the afternoon cruise by the Na Pali coast and an evening sail by the Volcano.

You could also fly into Vancouver and spend a couple of days to break up the flight and do a one way sail to Hawaii. They do those in September after Alaska...or other way around in May.

Or, you could just do a straight up land trip, moving between the islands isn't too bad, especially with a month :)

anniegb June 15th, 2011 03:47 PM

Thanks Doug and Trackypup.

Trackypup I hear you POA - think floating motel? as someone on the 'other board' described the vessel.

I am inclined to land trip - I only thought of POA because of evening sail past of volcano but then again I have been in Sicily when Etna erupted.

Annie

Lakers Fan June 15th, 2011 05:05 PM

Dualing banjos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1376408)
Normally I automatically say Land. But you have up to a month with is wonderful. You could do a little of both to save moving around so much. You could either fly to Honolulu and do Pride of America which as long as you lower your cruise expectations a tad...ok more than a tad... it's a fantastic way to get an overview of Hawaii, it also does the afternoon cruise by the Na Pali coast and an evening sail by the Volcano.

You could also fly into Vancouver and spend a couple of days to break up the flight and do a one way sail to Hawaii. They do those in September after Alaska...or other way around in May.

Or, you could just do a straight up land trip, moving between the islands isn't too bad, especially with a month :)

My wife wants to fly to Honolulu and do the Pride of America .I want to fly to Calif and cruise from there .

Trackypup June 15th, 2011 06:51 PM

In all honesty, I'd do Pride of America again strictly for the itinerary. The food in the dining room was bad but the buffet was actually really good. As it did an overnight in both Kauai and Maui we ate on land two nights. The rooms were absolutely fine.

We have limited vacation time, there's no way in hell I'd spend 10 days at sea for 4 days in Hawaii.

Trackypup June 29th, 2011 01:36 PM

Did you decide on anything Annie? We just booked a week in Honolulu for September, can't wait for some sun!

anniegb June 29th, 2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1378765)
Did you decide on anything Annie? We just booked a week in Honolulu for September, can't wait for some sun!

Hi

I actually decided to cruise with POA and combine it wth some time on Big Island. I know I am lowering my standards :)

However I have since discovered that there is no such thing as a non-smoking cabin on POA - so that idea is scuppered.

So I have booked nothing as yet but I am now veering towards Cuba - tour of island/Havana with a beach stay at the end. The flight time is also a lot shorter.

Anyway I have sun break booked for Dubrovnik in August - looking forward to that.

If POA implements non-smoking cabins, I could change my mind.

Enjoy Honolulu.

Annie

drgimlin July 12th, 2011 11:50 PM

Do both

We spent over a week on both Oahu (mostly north side and interior, I agree with negative impression of Honolulu, save the Arizona memorial) and Big Island without running out of things to do and see. We'd like to do the same on Kauai some day. Recently searched cruises to see if we could combine a longish stay in Kauai with the volcano sail by, and POA was the only possibility. Since we love sea days, maybe we’ll do one of the cruises that originates on the west coast, includes the volcano, and ends in HI, then fly to Kauai for a few days or more.

anniegb August 9th, 2011 11:45 AM

NCL Smoking Policy Change

Hawaii is now under consideration as smoking is no longer permitted in cabins.

Annie

Trackypup August 9th, 2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniegb (Post 1386145)
Hawaii is now under consideration as smoking is no longer permitted in cabins.

Annie

I was just going to post that!! :) wanted to make sure you saw the change in policy.

anniegb August 9th, 2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup (Post 1386173)
I was just going to post that!! :) wanted to make sure you saw the change in policy.

Interesting that Cruisemates article says Cruise Ship is best way to see Hawaii but a Kuki article suggested - see Hawaii 1st by land :)

Because of the flight time etc I was going to do both - trying to avoid too much duplication - decisions, decisions etc

BTW I was truly 'flamed' on another board for saying I was cancelling cruise because of smoking policy - hate posts were something else and eventually they pulled the whole thread. :)

Thanks again :D

Jason Leppert August 10th, 2011 02:10 AM

Keep in mind also that a Hawaiian cruise makes for a fantastic opportunity to see all of the islands in a short time span. That is it provides a nice sampling of all the islands that is convenient without the need to island hop via plane. You can decide which is your favorite island and always return there for a more extensive land trip.

anniegb August 10th, 2011 04:19 AM

Thanks Jason.

The flying time to Hawaii is 24 hrs o/w from my part of the world. For that and other reasons, a return visit is very unlikely.

Annie

Dhill August 10th, 2011 06:26 AM

You should visit Kona on the big Island and if your hungry think about eating at Bongo Bens Some of the best food we ever had a real laid back type of place. Have Fun wish I was going Oh and by the way if you want to visit the green sand beach thats about a 3 mile walk just a little warning but there are locals driving back and forth that will give you a ride for a donation

anniegb August 10th, 2011 10:58 AM

Thanks Dhill - I will keep that in mind.

Annie