Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Do You Shop the Onboard Boutiques?

Or do you save your money to shop in the ports? Do the sidewalk sales intrigue you, or do you walk on by? How about the ten dollar pashmina's, or watches... Have you ever purchased an evening dresss there? Can you say no no, or do you say, I'll take it all

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Admiral

I can say "no, no"!

The only time I've bought any clothes on the ship was on our last Princess cruise when they marked everything down on the last night! I bought some earrings for $5.00 and a sweatshirt with cats on it for $10.00.

I'd NEVER pay the original price in a "ship shop!".

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Default Do You Shop the On-Board Boutiques?

Sure do! Picked up some nice things that way. Made some mistakes, too, especially those piles of t-shirts they offer last day on board. They're always too small, so I don't do that any more.

Judy
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

I shop the sales on board. DH and DS got great deals on Fossil watches last cruise, and i bought a pair of beautiful tanzanite/diamond earings. DH got a great deal on Tommy Bahama silk trousers $20.00!!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 09:11 PM
Admiral

I buy onboard and in ports.

Got a lovely Fossil watch onboard, as well as some less expensive watches for friends.

I picked up a cute bag and a beautiful shawl last cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Well for me i can't really buy clothes on board (plus size) andthey don't have much that will fit. But have bought jewelry and last cruise a pashmana (sp).

Probably would buy t shirts during end of cruise sale if they apeall and have to do with current cruise.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Shop Till You Drop!

I say,"Look, look, look! Shop till I drop....love to get a bargain! I LOVE TO SHOP! I have just as much fun looking as I do buying.

Love to shop with my friend...we encourage one another...! You have to buy that....that's a great deal...You have to have that! !

I love to find something that I can't find at home or that no one I know, has one! ! And I love to buy for others...that's the best!

I can hardly quit buying for my new little grand daughter...she is almost 7 months old...she is so beautiful...I just bought her a pair of the cutest white sandals last week...I'm outta control...!

Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Passenger

Sometimes it gets boring on the days at sea and then we shop. Also, that is when they offer many "deals". Know your prices, some jewelry are good deals other pieces are not. For example they had a loose gem stone sale at prices per carat. That was great, but the stones needed to be mounted when I got home which would add to the price and knowing me they would sit around forever before I got them mounted. Idid get a good deal on some amber and silver this year. I son't usually by t-shirts or clothes and such.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Trip,

Or do you save your money to shop in the ports?

A bit of both.

My most frequent purchase is polo shirts with a logo from either the ship (absolutely NOT a logo of the cruise line) or a destination, but I'll buy other things that I can use if they are reasonably priced. As a former shipboard engineering officer, one of my favorite shipboard purchases is a set of gold cuff links and studs in the shape of the engineer's propeller logo. I also bought my film camera -- a nice Nikon APS unit with all kinds of features -- aboard ship several cruises ago.

I also tend to shop for local products that I can use, either personally or as gifts, in various ports of call. Alakan jade, Granadan spices, Mexican vanilla and tequilla-based liquers, Caribbean hot sauces, French and Madeiran wines, Dutch cheeses, and many other products are not readily available, or would be considarably more expensive, at home.

Norm.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Passenger

I am with Norm. I love the local products. It depends on where you are going. I go "off the beaten path" alot and can get some unique stuff. YOu can't beat mexico for silver. Just make sure that it is stamped sterling or 929 on it. I bought a great local perfume in St. John that is made is St. Thomas. I better go back when I run out or find out if I can buy some on line!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am an "evil smoker" and I do purchase cigarettes onboard.

I also pick up some local products. On my last cruise in Hong Kong and China we brought back more "stuff" than we have ever brought back from any other cruise.

Silks, robes, jade, real and knock off items were all purchased. We had almost a full 28" suitcase that weighed 60 lbs. full of "stuff". I will say that my bedroom looks great with our new curtains and duvet and cover.

Take care,
Mike (Who is wondering about himself talking about clothes and curtains)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

On my last Princess cruise I waited until the last night and got a fantastic deal on a Croton watch. Shoppers have to be price saavy; usually waiting until the last day/night at sea will benefit your purchase power, but sometimes the item you had your eyes on all week long could also be gone by then. Shmooze up to one of the salespeople in the shops and if you're lucky someone will "hold" the last item for you at a substantial discount.

Again, no matter where you shop, know your prices before you sail if you have a particular item in mind; shop the internet for comparisons first...and yes, you can haggle on the ship shops if they think you will turn away forever!

The best diamond and gold bargains I ever haggled for successfully was in Grand Cayman - they are very eager to take American $$$$ in cash!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Trip,

Or do you save your money to shop in the ports?

A bit of both.

My most frequent purchase is polo shirts with a logo from either the ship (absolutely NOT a logo of the cruise line) or a destination, but I'll buy other things that I can use if they are reasonably priced. As a former shipboard engineering officer, one of my favorite shipboard purchases is a set of gold cuff links and studs in the shape of the engineer's propeller logo. I also bought my film camera -- a nice Nikon APS unit with all kinds of features -- aboard ship several cruises ago.

I also tend to shop for local products that I can use, either personally or as gifts, in various ports of call. Alakan jade, Granadan spices, Mexican vanilla and tequilla-based liquers, Caribbean hot sauces, French and Madeiran wines, Dutch cheeses, and many other products are not readily available, or would be considarably more expensive, at home.

Norm.

Norm,

I do buy clothes both on the ship (logo tees) and in port if I see something I need at a good price.

DH & I will purchase gifts for our kids & grandkids.

Do you get food items through customs?

Barb
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Admiral

We've bought some great gifts on board ship. But like all of you have previously stated...know your item and it's retail price!

But you can't beat the location for gifts for friends.

We buy in the ports too...just not all that touristy stuff. We prefer to go a little off the beaten path...to find that unique special item.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Barb,

Do you get food items through customs?

Yes. There's no problem with any food that is processed and packaged, including spices and rum cakes from the Caribbean and vanilla or vanilla extract from the Mexican Riviera, or hot sauces, jams and jellies (incluidng preserves), or processed coffee (either whole bean or ground) from anywhere. The "naughties" are raw meats and raw vegetables, wihich require inspection by the Department of Agriculture (USDA). The cruise ship piers do not have either facilities or USDA staff to conduct the agricultural inspection.

Norm.