Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Curly Whirly, Flat, or Frizzy?

Does your hair go banana's in the Caribbean humidity? If it does, what do you use to tame it? Share it PULEEZE!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

my stylist told me that any product that has silicone in it will tame the frizzies. John Freida's "Frizz-Ease" is pretty much the standard when it comes to silcone products that you can get at the drug/discount store.- its great stuff and you only need to use a tiny bit.
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Admiral

I hair that is stick straight. I like it curled. When it's humid curling irons don't help much cause it can fall flat in minutes. If it's extremely hot and humid I just slick it back with gel and hairspray in a pony tail. Worse comes to worse there is the trusty baseball cap for a sporty look.

I also try to get haircuts that work with my hair type. No layers in the back just around the face. Less styling required and it can still be pulled up or back easier then with a bunch of layers. For dryness I always pack a deep conditioner like Nexis Kerafix a salon brand of conditioner is usually far better then what you can get at a drug store. I also use a leave in conditioner to prevent too much sun damage to the hair. I used to be a hairdresser. I also like a clarifying shampoo to prevent build up. I switch between that and a normal shampoo.

Headbands, barrettes, and bobby pins, and pony holders come in handy on a cruise so pack some just in case, or go to the salon for a nice french braid. I used to be a hairdresser.
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:03 AM
susiesuds

My hair is really wavy, especially in the humid climates on a cruise. Instead of fighting it i work with it. Im a huge fan of the Garnier Frutrise line of hair products..they work really well. When i get to an island, after i get out of the water i spray this stuff called "surf hair" in my hair to give it a texturized look..it looks like i made it wavy on purpose and i look normal to take pictures haha

as for on the ship..i usually flat iron..or use big rollers
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Susiesuds: Is the "Surf Hair" product by Garnier too? My 16 y/o daughter uses their no frizz line, and it sounds like the Surf hair stuff would be great for a beach or pool day.
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:02 PM
susiesuds

yes it is. make sure you buy the spray and not the cream..the cream comes out really gross. As soon as i get out of the salt water i just ring out my hair and spray it in and let it air dry and i get perfect waves. If only i could get that everyday! lol I use the lenght and Stregnth and Shine collections. My hair has never been healthier!
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Admiral

What do I use? A hat!

donna
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Taming the humidity frizzies

I agree with LisaK - the best products I found for my naturally curly wringlets are John Frieda's Frizz Ease gel or hair sprays - apply while hair is still damp and DO NOT BLOW DRY! The other option is a clear product called Citrus Shine (forget who makes it) - but also is great for taming frizzy hair in humid climates. If you apply any botanical mousse to wet/damp hair that works well also - but remember, when you apply mousse and then blow-dry hair you will end up with over-fluffy "helmet head". I also use a "diffuser sock" if i need to blow dry quickly (using cool air only - hot air causes mega puffy volume to wavy and curly hair). You can buy the sock at any retail beauty supply store or in the larger chains like CVS, Eckerd, Walgreens, etc. It costs about $3.00 or so and the material is like that of a washable air conditioner filter. I do not EVER use brushes when styling my hair - just work your magic with your fingers and hands - "scrunching" while cool drying is best. Try these tips before your trip.....you'll love the results!

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Admiral

another great products for humidity-- White Rain hairspray. Don''t waste your money on expensive salon hairspray - this stuff is the best for holding your hair in the Caribbean humidity
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to preppygirl7589

humidity?? i was born in humidity!!! im from new orleans so there for humidity is my life and my hair is naturally curly so i enjoy a "break" from the real La humidity when im in the caribeen