Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Scentfully Delicious, or Phewww?

What is your favorite scent? Which one makes you want to run away from the wearer?

I have to admit, if there was a perfume anonymous , I would join. Onmy last cruise I bought 3 on the islands. I have found great perfume prices, sometimes better trhen the Caibbean, at the Festivale Marketplace.

Miss Dior Cherie, is new & wonderfuly spicy, and the new Calvin Klein, Euphoria, is a winner too..Rarely do I rebuy a fragrance, But a couple have been repeaters....

Poison, to me is poison..I cannot ell you how much it offends muy poor nose

Before a cruise, I take the perfume samples out of the magazines, with the pricing,and when I look for it on the ship, or in port, I know what I will be saving..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Admiral

my top two: Magie Noir by Lancome - spicy with a just a touch of sweet
Tresor - by Lancome - romantic, light floral.
I agree with your Trip - Poison is awful. Another one that i do not like is Giorgio -- waay to strong.
I have severe allergies so i have to be careful what i wear, and unfortunatly strong perfumes give me an awful sinus headache.
Perfume should be subtle - you should have to get upclose and personal to someone to smell their scent.
I love scented body lotions from Body Works - Mango Madness is my favorite spring/summer scent, as is Cucumber Melon - they are so fresh smelling.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:40 AM
First Mate

all of the avon scents. too me they are too strong and cheap smelling ( sorry if i offend anyone ).

no matter what you wear, remember , ''' a little dab will do ya ''''' in a crowded area.
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Definately "Pheeeewwww!" I am so allergic to scents that someone else's stench can give me an asthma attack, or worse, a migraine, ruining all the fun. Please remember that when dousing yourself with the "good stuff"!

donna
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

My favorite perfume is Estee Lauder.
I like to use Private collection at night and in the day, Pleasures or Whit Linen
i like all of the fragrences except the origional one Estee. way to strong.
they should be light, floral, not overwhelming.
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Carole, do you remember White Linen being one of 3 fragrances that you were supposed to layer? That didn'twork, and White Linen, was the one left standing...My next door neighbor used to be a rep for them and I got lots of goodies

Old May 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Default Scentfully Delicious or Pheww

I'm not allergic to perfume, but often wish thqat the ladies would wear body lotion instead. It's not so potent. I think that Youth Dew (Estee Lauder) and Poison are terrible.

Judy
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Admiral

I'm definitely showing my age here, but I love Chantilly cologne! I use very little.

My dear Mother always said, "If someone shakes your hand and compliments your perfume, you're wearing too much!"

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Passenger

I use shower gel,lotion,and spray of the same scent.All very light.My favorite are from victoria's secret.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Beginner

I love the scents at Bath & Body Works. They smell great without stinging your nose. I usually get the shower gel, body spray, lotion kit in one scent. Their scents are a little more subtle than your normal perfume. I usually just use a little Curve in the morning in addition to the B & B Works stuff.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Captain

I can't believe someone else uses Magie Noie. I thought I was the only person alive who used it. I've worn it for twenty years. Before that I wore Chantilly and still do for light summer time wear. And I do still have a bottle of Arpege (Fern, I think I outdid you!) I break out from time to time.

Other than that I get too overwhelmed by a lot that's out there. One of my employees was always coming in with bottles of Bath and Body Works lotions, sprays and candles. I finally had to box it all up and send her home with it one day. It was just too much. Scent should be delicate, not hit you in the head with a hammer.

As a teenager I used to babysit for a wonderful lady who bathed in Youth Dew. I would come home and reek of it just from being in her house! Drove my dad crazy (but that was a bonus).

I get a catalog from a mail order place names something like "Vermont Store" and they sell stuff we remember from years ago. One of my favorite parts is looking at the old perfumes you can still get from them like Tweed, Ambush, Evening in Paris (gag), and Yardley Lavendar. And when was the last time you bought any Tangee lipstick!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Admiral

MagnoliaBlossom- isnt' Magie Noir the best? I like you have used that scent for about 20years. I have tried different and new scents, but i still go back to the Magie Noir. I haven't found anything that smells as good as that does. Tresor comes in a close second, but it is a bit stronger and more floral, doesn't have the spice undertones that our Magie Noir does.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Admiral

The grandaughter of TANGEE, came into my store a ew years ago, she was designing handbags and wanted do sell us..The name continues...

When I was a kid,rsh,and get the stick Ambush cologne...they also had Tabu It had a silver foil inside the bottle, and if it was not closed tight, it shriveled

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Admiral

MB, you win!

Quote:
I can't believe someone else uses Magie Noie. I thought I was the only person alive who used it. I've worn it for twenty years. Before that I wore Chantilly and still do for light summer time wear. And I do still have a bottle of Arpege (Fern, I think I outdid you!) I break out from time to time.
I'd like to try Magie Noir. Where can I find it?

I remember the Ambush stick and Tabu!

My Mother wore Royal Secret for years. (This may seem "weird"!) I still have her last bottle and get it out once in a while. Brings back so many memories!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Captain

Smell is one of the most powerful senses. It is after all the first cranial nerve and how primitive animals found their food as well as their foes.

Magie Noir is made by Lancomme. Not all stores carry it and I don't think I've ever found it on board but shoreside shops usually have it, especially in St. Maarten. Dillards has it at home. It's just such a great scent and I just keep coming back to it, but then maybe it's the spell cast by the name.

I have been trying to remember the name of a scent a neighbor used to wear. it was made by Estee Lauder I think and was sorta the evil twin of Youth Dew - if you can imagine! Overpoweringly strong and floral. Anybody remember?

I don't remember the silver lining to the Ambush or Tabu bottles. Boo.
And remember the guys' Jade East?

Fern, I think it's great that you still have your mom's perfume. I'm sure you can sniff it and close your eyes and have wonderful memories. My mother is very allergic to scented things and hasn't worn perfume in years now, but I still remember a scent she used to wear. She's 83 now and has no idea what she used to wear but I can still remember that stark label and the rectangular bottle. I used to climb up in the bathroom closet and sit there sniffing from the bottle.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Fern - do you have a Filene's, Macy's or Lord and Taylor department store near you? Don't know if Nordstroms carries it. IF so you can find Magie Noir there- go to the Lancome cosmetics counter.
If you are in St. Maarten in the near future the store called Lipstick has it.
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Chanel No. 5 for me. I've tried others but have never liked anything as well.

Caribbean Travel Photos & Pictures
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Captain

Chanel #5 is certainly a classic. I wore it during high school but don't remember why I got away from it.

I REMEMBERED the super sweet scent - it's White Shoulders. Anyone remember it. Actually, I didn't exactly remember it, I had to go to
vermontcountrystore.com and look through their scents to jog my memory.

Here are some other oldy goldies:
Blue Waltz, it came in a cute little heart shaped bottle
Windsong
L'Aimant - my grandmother wore this and it wasn't a liquid but kind of a cream that came in a black bottle and was applied with a little wand.
Woodhue and Tigress.

This has been a nice walk down Memory Lane. Thanks, ladies.
MagnoliaBlossom
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Do you also remember L'air du Temps? it came in this pretty glass bottle with a milky white top in the shape of wings?(i think)
Charlie was the really popular fragrance when i was in college.
Wind Song - i remember the song- " I can't seem to forget her, her Windsong stays on my mind"
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Captain

My mom still has stome L'air du temps on her dresser. She hasn't worn it in years but she likes the bottle. Hers has two pretty little birds on it.
I still have an old bottle of Charley in my make up drawer. Once in a while I break it out, spritz some on and remenisce (sp).
Yep, windsong had a great slogon.
One of the others was Arpege. I was having a discussion some time back similar to this whole thread with a lady and said I wore Arpege on occasion. She smiled and said "promise her anything, but give her Arpege" . That hasn't aired since go-go boots were the rage but it's still stuck in our minds. Talk about great marketing. Wonder what our kids will remember.

As well as tahe scents I remember how pretty some of the bottles were. Especially Avon. My grandmother was really into avon and always had the latest bottles on her dressing table. I remember her Topaz was tall, tapering and had a big old topaz on the top. I thought it was faaabulous at the critical age of about 7. There was another one that was kind of heart shaped and blue with a frilly cap. I think if was Here's My Heart.
I think i kinda liked that one but the topaz was a bit spicy or something for me at that age.

OF course you always had to "sample" these things while your mom was out hanging clothes on the line and you could never understand how she knew!
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Im not a huge perfume fan. I prefer fruity smelling lotions. Bath and Body Works Frozen Strawberry Daquiri is my favorite. Everyone always comments on it when I wear it!

IMO the absolute worst perfume every created is Red Door. I cant even stand in the same room with someone wearing it.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Passenger

I love Creed fragrances Sring Flower is a light fruity scent and they
have a new one Virgin Island Water that transports you to an Island when you wear it, ahhhhhhhhhh take me away
Galaxy
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Black Suede,British Sterling, English Leather for men. Charlie for the ladies. Can't beat the fragrance, or price
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Or Odor de la PHEWWWWWW for the strong at heart!
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Captain

I've worn Obsession by Calvin Klein for 20 years. I still like it, my husband too, but it reallyis time to find a new scent.
I don't like florals, prefer scipy scents. Looking forward to sniffin around on our cruise in October & getting something new.
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Hub - i don't like florals either, prefer spicy scents thats why i wear Magie Noir by Lancome.
I just got a sample of Polo Black for men by Ralph Lauren, very nice, not overly strong but very masculine, DH will definatley have to try that one.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Now, I wear Poison, but I remember in college being addicted to Emeraude. Now, it makes me sneeze!
Marty
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Admiral

I am a citrus kind of gal...The new Diesel, is my summer choice..The original Ralph Lauren got me started wayyyyy back when, on the fruity scents..Anyone remember New West?

Old July 4th, 2008, 01:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

L'air du Temps" is still available - maybe not the pretty bottle with the
swans anymore but it's my mother-in-law's favorite and I just gave her
some a few months ago for her 92nd birthday.
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Admiral

I vaguely remember a cologne that smelled like chocolate to me. Was that Charlie?
Marty