CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Professional photos on board (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/312966-professional-photos-board.html)

Sea Trekker April 25th, 2006 10:08 AM

Professional photos on board

How many of you pruchase the ships photos on formal night?
How much do you spend?

Trip April 25th, 2006 12:30 PM

I wish I felt like I looked good enough to buy any....:( I know they charge so much too....my hang up saves me money!

Madismom April 25th, 2006 01:13 PM

We usually buy at least one black & white from our formal night. I feel that's it's a nice way to remember the cruise and it gives my hubby and I a recent photo together to show off. If I see a photo I really like from any other part of the cruise I will usually buy it....but I have to REALLY like it. Otherwise we take so many pics ourselves that we don't need the extras.

Brenda in Canada April 25th, 2006 02:20 PM

I have to admit this was a bit of a downfall for me on our family cruise last Jan./05. Having 2 cute kids makes it difficult to NOT buy! :) Plus I probably thought-who knows when we will go on a cruise again..... I admit they are not cheap!
Next cruise(whenever that is)-I will try and resist more!
Brenda

LisaK April 26th, 2006 10:14 AM

Trip - we think that you are beautiful!
We do buy formal family portraits-one maybe two- that's it. We do sometimes buy a few of the candids.

nlb1050 April 26th, 2006 10:17 AM

On first cruise bought 4 from first formal night and have not bought any since. Don't even take them anymore. Hubby doesn't want to. And try our best not to have any others taken. Why bother if we are not going to buy.

Darcy April 27th, 2006 09:48 AM

It depends on how they come out. I've bought quite a few over the years. When to you ever get the whole family together and all dressed up? For us it seems to be only on cruises.

Luanne Russo April 27th, 2006 09:50 AM

Don't tell the cruise lines, but I can't help but buy them. I still have some left over from the last cruises that need frames. I can't help not buying them.

Luanne

showcat April 27th, 2006 10:23 PM

I've been on 3 cruises. On my first I brought a bunch of professional photos they were beautiful.

The last two cruises I hated all the pictures with me in them. Ok Im really, really picky I did some modeling so this makes me a detail nut, regarding lighting, my expression, skin tone, wrinkles etc. I think my own photos with my digital camera came out great but the professional ones I found very unflattering so I didn't buy any. I was not impressed with the photographers at all. I think they should offer to airbrush! They also need to do simple things like shoot at eye level or lower to make petite woman like me look taller. It's a photographer trick.

I did like the black and white photos they took of people laying on deck in the sun. They made everyone look bronze and beautiful, but I wasn't in any of those.Bummer I would like to see more black and white photos much classier overall, with a retro feel.

merryheart May 3rd, 2006 12:10 AM

Gotta Have One, Right?

Well, my first cruise ever is coming up on May 13th...WOOHOO! And I know we'll have to buy at least one nice photo for the memory...LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Rose_Merry.gif

dina May 3rd, 2006 08:17 AM

We only took two photos during our trip and thats because the poor photographer looked bored and we where waiting to go to dinner. We didn't buy either of them. We did buy one of the pictures where we were getting off the ship in St. Thomas. We pretty much avoided getting pictures taken when we could. Its just not our thing.

mehawk May 3rd, 2006 09:02 AM

It is hard to resist the pictures.

MaryLou May 3rd, 2006 06:31 PM

We used to buy at least one per cruise, but have gotten away from it.
I have a friend who gets tons of photos taken during the week; gathers them up daily and puts them all in one place, then on the last night, they lay them all out and pick and choose. They end up spending a fortune on professional photos on every cruise.

Sea Trekker May 5th, 2006 03:18 PM

We buy the formal night photos. If the ones coming down the gang way are half way decent we will buy them too. I hate it when they take a picture and I'm not looking the best. like when you arrive at the port from a long trip and look like H---. Ugh, not that one.
the cost are inexpensive when you compare them to what a photo studio whould charge. That's why we spend $$
Carole 8)

centralcalicruzer May 5th, 2006 05:07 PM

On our first cruise the formal shot came out really nice, so we bought it and one other. On our next cruise (we've only been on two together), it was our honeymoon so I bought a few more than the first cruise. The formal shot was not as good as on our first cruise, but it was pretty good and it was our honeymoon so I bought it. My hubby didn't want to buy any, but I bought some anyway because hey, it was our honeymoon. I think I spent about $50.00 total, one 8X10 and several 5X7. We took photos with our tablemates and bought those, plus a couple of others that came out nice. We are taking my kids on our next cruise, so I am sure we will buy at least the formal shot, maybe a few others, it just depends on how they turn out. I try not to spend too much, and I take a lot of photos myself, but some of the ship's photos turn out really cute. I figure after a few more cruises I won't feel the need to buy them every time.