Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Professional photos on board

How many of you pruchase the ships photos on formal night?
How much do you spend?
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I wish I felt like I looked good enough to buy any.... I know they charge so much too....my hang up saves me money!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 25th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Passenger

We usually buy at least one black & white from our formal night. I feel that's it's a nice way to remember the cruise and it gives my hubby and I a recent photo together to show off. If I see a photo I really like from any other part of the cruise I will usually buy it....but I have to REALLY like it. Otherwise we take so many pics ourselves that we don't need the extras.
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I have to admit this was a bit of a downfall for me on our family cruise last Jan./05. Having 2 cute kids makes it difficult to NOT buy! Plus I probably thought-who knows when we will go on a cruise again..... I admit they are not cheap!
Next cruise(whenever that is)-I will try and resist more!
Brenda
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Trip - we think that you are beautiful!
We do buy formal family portraits-one maybe two- that's it. We do sometimes buy a few of the candids.
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Admiral

On first cruise bought 4 from first formal night and have not bought any since. Don't even take them anymore. Hubby doesn't want to. And try our best not to have any others taken. Why bother if we are not going to buy.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

It depends on how they come out. I've bought quite a few over the years. When to you ever get the whole family together and all dressed up? For us it seems to be only on cruises.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Don't tell the cruise lines, but I can't help but buy them. I still have some left over from the last cruises that need frames. I can't help not buying them.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Admiral

I've been on 3 cruises. On my first I brought a bunch of professional photos they were beautiful.

The last two cruises I hated all the pictures with me in them. Ok Im really, really picky I did some modeling so this makes me a detail nut, regarding lighting, my expression, skin tone, wrinkles etc. I think my own photos with my digital camera came out great but the professional ones I found very unflattering so I didn't buy any. I was not impressed with the photographers at all. I think they should offer to airbrush! They also need to do simple things like shoot at eye level or lower to make petite woman like me look taller. It's a photographer trick.

I did like the black and white photos they took of people laying on deck in the sun. They made everyone look bronze and beautiful, but I wasn't in any of those.Bummer I would like to see more black and white photos much classier overall, with a retro feel.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gotta Have One, Right?

Well, my first cruise ever is coming up on May 13th...WOOHOO! And I know we'll have to buy at least one nice photo for the memory...

Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
Admiral

We only took two photos during our trip and thats because the poor photographer looked bored and we where waiting to go to dinner. We didn't buy either of them. We did buy one of the pictures where we were getting off the ship in St. Thomas. We pretty much avoided getting pictures taken when we could. Its just not our thing.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

It is hard to resist the pictures.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Admiral

We used to buy at least one per cruise, but have gotten away from it.
I have a friend who gets tons of photos taken during the week; gathers them up daily and puts them all in one place, then on the last night, they lay them all out and pick and choose. They end up spending a fortune on professional photos on every cruise.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We buy the formal night photos. If the ones coming down the gang way are half way decent we will buy them too. I hate it when they take a picture and I'm not looking the best. like when you arrive at the port from a long trip and look like H---. Ugh, not that one.
the cost are inexpensive when you compare them to what a photo studio whould charge. That's why we spend $$
Carole 8)
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our first cruise the formal shot came out really nice, so we bought it and one other. On our next cruise (we've only been on two together), it was our honeymoon so I bought a few more than the first cruise. The formal shot was not as good as on our first cruise, but it was pretty good and it was our honeymoon so I bought it. My hubby didn't want to buy any, but I bought some anyway because hey, it was our honeymoon. I think I spent about $50.00 total, one 8X10 and several 5X7. We took photos with our tablemates and bought those, plus a couple of others that came out nice. We are taking my kids on our next cruise, so I am sure we will buy at least the formal shot, maybe a few others, it just depends on how they turn out. I try not to spend too much, and I take a lot of photos myself, but some of the ship's photos turn out really cute. I figure after a few more cruises I won't feel the need to buy them every time.