Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Default Black dresses... Yawn

I for one am sick of women in black dresses. Boring, dull and conformist.

I love to see women in bright colors, pastels, jewel tones, patterns, sequins etc.. Is it just me?

I find black does not flatter most complexions well unless your have a skin tone like Cher or Elizabeth Taylor. The Color Me Beautiful book calls this skin tone winter and they are the one's who can wear all black or white the best.

Being of Italian decent almost all the woman wear black to everything. Looks like a funeral. I went to a Christmas party I was the only one in bright red, the rest looked like they were in mouring. I got some looks, but I didn't care. The next year I choose plum to the same event; that was as dark as I go. Being half Irish I did not inherit the olive complextion so black near my face makes me look washed out. Maybe this is part of the reason Im not into it. I do like it mixed with bright colors such as a black suit or skirt with a bright top. Nice sparkly jewelry also helps.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Admiral

My only black dress has sparkles all over (mix of colors). With my red hair and fair complextion I don't like how all black looks on me. I go for prints instead.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Admiral

I also resist wearing the little black dress. I wear bright colors. My olive skin type helps out with that.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Admiral

i am also not a huge fan of black. I love color- Red and jewel tones especially. My black is navy blue.
Old April 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Admiral

I also hate black, except maybe as an accessory. Mostly everything I own is PURPLE of one shade or another, but I am also partial to bright colours and prints. You'll never see me in black!

donna
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Accessorize!!

The black sack with nothing else does little or nothing for a lady but a well fitting black dress with the right jewelry, wrap and shoes can be stunning on almost anyone.

It is also something that can be dressed up or dressed down for formal to informal. It's probably the most versatile weapon in the wardrobe. However like any weapon it has to be of good quality to begin with.

Take care,
Mike (Who's spent hours in "the chair"

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Default Black Dresses - -Yawn

I agree with Mike. Anyway, one of my travel tricks is to pack a pair a dressy black pants, which saves on space, and then bring several tops to go with them. But think a really chic black dress properly accessorized looks terrific.

Judy
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Admiral

I love black...but since I have an olive complexion...I make sure that there is always lots of color or bling near my face.

LisaK's point about navy blue being her black is excellent...my only problem has been matching the blues (different dye lots!) I know it's the same with black..but some how not as glareingly obvious.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Admiral

showcat,

Being of Italian decent almost all the woman wear black to everything. Looks like a funeral. I went to a Christmas party I was the only one in bright red, the rest looked like they were in mouring.

So your association of black with mourning comes straight from your Italian cultural heritage (which, BTW, I understand very well, having lived my whole life with wonderful Italian neighbors)....

Yes, it's the Italian custom for a family to wear black for a whole year as a sign of mourning/grieving following the loss of one of its members. After the mass marking the first anniversary of the death, they revert to normal colors. I think that Spain might have a similar custom, but most of the rest of the world does not so most of us do not draw a similar association.

Interesting. Very, very interesting!

Norm.