Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default How many men wear a tux or the simple dark suit?

My dh has worn the tux a few times, he preferes to only pack the dark suit.
This New Year on the Century he will bring the tux.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Admiral

dh wears the dark suit - usually navy
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For 18 cruises I went with a tuxedo. On my last cruise I purchased a very nice dark suit. I considered all factors and because I had lost a considerable amount of weight and my old tuxedo no longer fit I went with the suit.

I may now well be over to the dark side, however I will probably go with a tuxedo for NYE. It is the most festive night of the year. If my weight loss has stopped I may just stay with one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Hubby wears a dark suit. We aren't in a position for him to need a tux and as it is he hardly ever wears the suit. In 31 years of marraige this is only the 3rd suit he has bought and only did so because the last one didn't fit anymore.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We also do the dark suite. Looks very nice, and on ships out of Galveston, you don't see a lot of Tuxes.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Sea Trekker,

My dh has worn the tux a few times, he preferes to only pack the dark suit.
This New Year on the Century he will bring the tux.

I wore a suit on my first few cruises, then decided to spring for a white dinner jacket outfit. I have since added accessories to give it more variety.

Norm.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
Captain

Default Suit or Tux?

I used to always wear a dark suit. About three cruises ago, I bought a tux, and that's what I wear now. After all, a tux is just a suit with a black thing around your waist and some rubber bands holding up your pants.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Admiral

My DH wears the dark suits.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Admiral

I prefer to wear the tux myself. I don't get the opportunity to wear it often so I take advantage of it.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Michael you look very handsome in your tux
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: How many men wear a tux or the simple dark suit?

I bring BOTH a Tux and a Dark suit.
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Hubby has a wonderful double-breasted tux that he looks FABULOUS in - and that's what he wears. We've only cruised with Carnival, so he hasn't needed a suit as well, and I love him in his tux!
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Hubby wears a dark suit. He's much more comfortable in it. But he does wear French cuffs with cufflinks.
2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Default How Many Men Wear a Tux or a Simple Dark Suit?

My DH brings both even though he doesn't not own a tux (not enough need). But he plans to wear a tux for New Year's Eve, I know. He looks FABULOUS in a tux!

Judy
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Passenger

Tux only...in fact, I take two different jackets...standard black and white dinner jacket as well. Formal means formal....
Conquest 1-05
Destiny 10-06
Pride 9-08
Freedom 10-09
Old July 1st, 2006, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Judy,

My DH brings both even though he doesn't not own a tux (not enough need). But he plans to wear a tux for New Year's Eve, I know. He looks FABULOUS in a tux!

It does not take many skipped rentals to pay back the price of a tuxedo or a dinner jacket outfit -- especially if you watch for deals on the latter.

>> 1. Most tuxedo rental shops have periodic sales of used outfits. They are renting outfits for weddings and such, where exact match of colors is critical, so they can't rent anything that might have faded even half a shade from routine cleaning, so they tend to sell outfits at serious discounts after only a few rentals. We, as individuals, do not have such constraints, so we can wear those outfits many more times. They usually will tell you when they will have such sales if you ask.

>> 2. Liquidators like Railroad Salvage and Building 19 often get brand new tuxedos and dinner jacket outfits from insurance auctions and manufacturers' overruns and sell them for a fraction of the normal retail price. Watch the circulars of the liquidators in your area for great deals.

In many cases, you can buy outfits on sale for less than the cost of two rentals. Of course, full price is usually cheaper than three rentals.

Norm.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

On the cruises I have been on -at the most- maybe 30% of the men wore tuxes-and this was on HAL-much less then that on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. In 11 cruises hubby has always worn a suit.

Next year we will do our first euoropean cruise-for this cruise my huibby will rent a tux as we have heard-europeans go for the tux more.
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
First Mate

We only cruise HAL and DH has a gorgeous suit that he wore for the first few cruises and then he decided to buy a tux. I must say he takes my breath away when I see him in it. (not that he's not dashing in the suit). This is after 30+ years of marriage, too!
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
BEACH DOUG

Old August 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

momofmeg,

On the cruises I have been on -at the most- maybe 30% of the men wore tuxes-and this was on HAL-much less then that on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. In 11 cruises hubby has always worn a suit.

There's actually a very interesting dyanmic here. On lines that attract an older crowd, like Holland America Lines, you'll see a high percentage of men wearing dark business suits because most of the men own suits that they wore to work before they retired still fit. On lines that attract a younger crowd, you will see more tuxedos and dinner jackets because many businesses now have a "business casual" standard of dress even for professional staff. Those who don't own (or have occasions to wear) business suts tend to rent formalwear because it's considerably less expnesive to rent a tuxedo than to buy a reasonably good business suit.

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Capt Ron opts for a dark navy suit and wears different shirts and ties, depending on the evening. His most formal look is with a white shirt and navy tie.

Shar
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Beginner

yes i agree Tux only...in fact, Its two different jackets.i wear tax on many occasion
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Beginner

My hubby has always worn a dark suit. Part of your decision should be dependent on the cruise line. Carnival is one of the least expensive cruise lines and tuxedos are few and far between. Princess is a moderate price line, and no more than 25% of the men wear tuxes. the Wind Star line is pricier, but they have a dress code of "casual elegance" and don't have a formal night. We have never cruised on the high end, $12,000 per cruise lines, but suspect that tuxedos might be more popular on those.

Grandma June
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Passenger

I don't have a suit so i wear Mess Dress

Carnival Elation - Jan 2010
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Beginner

From what I have seen for the past few years, you are lucky to find men wearing shirts with collars!!!! Heck woman don't really get dressed up anymore, and they change right after dinner and pictures. They would rather show their tatoos.........................
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Beginner

Default How many men wear a tux

From what I have seen for the past few years, you are lucky to find men wearing shirts with collars!!!! Heck woman don't really get dressed up anymore, and they change right after dinner and pictures. They would rather show their tatoos.........................
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:12 AM
First Mate

Default Tux or Dark Suit

Gave up the tux about 10 cruises ago and don't plan to go back. It's the dark suit from now on. Less packing, less weight, less storage.
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

On Carnival, as we speak, couldn't stay away from the computer for too long!!! DH wears both and is comfortable with ether. Now dad, he's a farmer from England, and suit works better for him. Personally, l fancy men in formal gear, even I bought a little one for my 6 month baby as a joke! but that's me!

I promise pics as soon as we're back in NY!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
momofmeg,

There's actually a very interesting dyanmic here. On lines that attract an older crowd, like Holland America Lines, you'll see a high percentage of men wearing dark business suits because most of the men own suits that they wore to work before they retired still fit. On lines that attract a younger crowd, you will see more tuxedos and dinner jackets because many businesses now have a "business casual" standard of dress even for professional staff. Those who don't own (or have occasions to wear) business suts tend to rent formalwear because it's considerably less expnesive to rent a tuxedo than to buy a reasonably good business suit.

Norm.
I haven't not noticed this- it seems to me HAL and Celebrity have the most Tuxes, then Princess, with very few at all on RCI, Carnvial, NCL, and Disney. Now that is all the lines I have cruised.