Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flspeedo
Obviously from my screenname, you can tell I wear Speedos. I work out alot and have worked hard to have a body for one, so I'm going to continue to wear one. I won't ever see these people again anyway.
Go for it and post pictures. We like speedo pictures. Rod is Carnival's Speedo king and Dave the Wave is Royal Carribean Speedo king. However, we are looking for Speedo kings for the other lines. You could be the Princess Speedo King.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Admiral

The only time I have had an issue with men in speedo's was a trip to a water park. While waiting at the bottom for others in our party to finish, lets just say my young daughter (at the time) got quite a view from the man who wore one while he launched from the top, lets just say, it wasn't really "on" when he stood up at the bottom. We waited away from the slide as the was with a group in which all the men were sporting them.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:33 AM
david30101

About the water park..Regular shorts will do the same thing.."fall off" if not secured properly. Why do you think professioal divers wear speedos. ..I wear speedos and will be on a ship next month.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to flspeedo Send a message via Yahoo to flspeedo

I'll also be in my Speedo on board Mariner of the Seas October 26th.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Familiar Face

I wore my Speedo all week aboard Mariner of the Seas last week around the Solarium pool. Hope ya'll enjoyed the cruise as much as I did!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I wore my Speedo all week aboard Mariner of the Seas last week around the Solarium pool. Hope ya'll enjoyed the cruise as much as I did!
Pictures Please!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

I just returned from a special 2 night Inaugural sailing of the Celebrity Solstice and again wore my Speedo on Tuesday while on board. Found a great spot on an upper deck to relax and work on my tan. For those looking for a quiet spot on this amazing ship, check out the Solstice Deck. All lounge chairs on the entire ship are all padded with even some double loungers for two people. What a ship, I would highly recommend it and can't wait to sail her for a full 7 days@
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Every time I hear or see the word Speedo, it takes me back to when I lived in Germany and used to go to the schwimmbad (public pools). The Germans have NO problem showing off their bodies....I would see hugely fat men with a bad case of tummy covering up the actual speedo walking around completely comfortable. The suits were stretched almost beyond their endurance, sometimes I wondered if one were to snap would it kill anyone!

I was embarrased, but they thought they were the sexiest things alive....want to know whats worse? When they take them off!!!!! Yep, in Germany in a schwimmbad you can go naked and they do! Old naked fat men and women. And it was just about only the old ones who wore them..there were some sexy German men but they werent wearing them...

Old December 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to AKLydia
Default speedos

I think they're nasty. however if you want to wear one go for it. Any suit you wear should be because you want to wear it and like it on yourself. If you're wearing it for attention or to please someone else it's probably missing the mark. If you think women think they're hot or something you're probably missing some signals sorry but most women don't or at least ones that I know. I could care less what each person looks like in their choice of suit that is definitely a choice they make, and if you're spending your time critiquing other people you probably need to do some self reflection. I can wear a tiny bikini, however I do not why because first off there are families on cruises and I don't need a bunch of men who aren't my husband ogling me (potentially married men with pissy wives). It would probably get my husband all upset and as a mother how can I play easily with my babies in a skimpy two piece.
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Speedos......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvabill
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou
I know you have all witnessed men in Speedos on your cruise. It's just my opinion, but I believe they should be banned (for men of all builds!) . There is just too little material in those suits. What do you all think?
As I've said before, a man has got to know his limitations!

[/img]
I'll say this one more time, a man has got to know his limitations!
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to vi reynolds

I certainly believe that people should wear what they enjoy and feel comfortable with.

Now, personally, I prefer the boxer shape for swimming tracks for men.

With women, well, I'm packing a few swimming costumes, one of which is supposed to be very supportive but it's also trendy, and a bikini (the bottom is on the high side one of those retro ones). I shouldn't complain too much because I'm not a large size, however, I was about 2 sizes thiner (at least in the middle) before my pregnancy. It didn't help either that my boy was born by c-section (he's 6 months old) but with moving to the US from England, the baby and everything, I haven't had a huge chance to exercise a lot, so I feel a little overweight around the middle by comparison. I was pretty petite before. However, I still intend to use the pool and the beaches and, maybe it is because I'm European (as someone mentioned) but I think enjoying the holiday should not only be for people who look like models. Whilst it's nice to be in good shape, I think we put too much emphasis in being size 0 sometimes.
Old June 21st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Size 0?!?!? I need a few more digits, please. But, I still wear my swimsuit at the beach.
Marty, the formally significantly slimmer
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Marty, I'm a kind of tiny red haired! Size 0, yes probably what I was before my wedding, skinny, short, kind of nothing!!! I should';ve been a fairy!! After baby, at least I have breasts!!!! as I said in another thread I also have a mild scar (c-sec) but my boy is well worth the experience and I would say, for anyone terrified of it (I was!) not to worry, it's a terrific experience, scary, yes, of course! but beyond the pale in terms of giving birth! I was not allowed to give birth as such, but it was still massively wow!!!! If any of you have tp give birth this way, okay, it's not ideal but it can still be special! Rowan was my first so I guess I can't compair but it was wow!!! What |I'm trying to say is that a lot of people have said not to wear certain swimming wear, why because you have a neat scar????
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Wear that scar with pride and joy, as it is the souvenir of a lifetime.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was obviously having a very vain day yesterday! Now the extra weight is now probably due to being lazy. I can't make my poor boy be my excuse for ever!

You're so good at cheering me up!
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Okay, Marty, thanks so much but I fear we departed from the original topic (I did! unintentially), at the end of the day style is very personal, but personally I have seen huge girls wearing a min-skirt comfortably and model-like ones being conscious. To me the moral tale, is do what you're comfortable with, push boundaries, explore, by all means but, I can't remember if it was you about my dad and a tux, I think it was, but i'ts so true: if it's not for you, don't do it! if you like it, go ahead!

To be honest, even large girls on minis look good if they have the confidence to carry them out. They normally wear lovely accessories, immaculate manicures things like that, that say to me that beauty is relative. Attention to detail often makes out for physical perfection. I have a dear friend back in England who is large and wears all fashions. Personality aside (she's adorable and bubbly, you Americans would love her!) and she wears what she fancies! I admire her so much! And here is me questioning everything about cruising: etiquette, brands, scars you name it! (obviously I haven't got her confidence, which is sad really!)

I must introduce Kim to Carnival, by the way! I mean my husband thinks she's good looking and she would wear a triangle bikini being a large size (I'm tiny so Dan is not per se into larger girls, I think with him, well different women are attractive in different ways), but he doesn't go for someone who looks as if made of wax!
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
david30101

WOW..I cant belive this topic is still near the top of the list. Its been almost a yr since Ive posted..Im taking another cruise in Nov 20 2009 on Miracle and will be wearing a speedo and a new wardrobe for the week..A Kilt. Started wearing kilts a few months ago and now I decided to wear them full time besides at work which isnt allowed.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
Pictures Please!!
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM
david30101

Default No Speedos in St Lucia "commercial beach"

I just got back from my cruise over Thanksgiving where one of the stops was St Lucia. We wanted to go to a beach semi private less crowded etc. But were talked into going to a popular beach that had allot of activitys and rentals etc. Of course I wore my speedo as always. Ive been there about an hour or so swimming then walking down and back along the waters edge when one of the locals that "ran" the beach yelled to me "Hey buddy, put some shorts on"..I glanced over waved and kept walking just ignoring him shaking my head. "Whatever". I continued swimming and minding my own business untill i left with family members that were with me. THis beach is not very toursist friendly, They haggle you every 5 minutes trying to get you to buy things. Even in water. I had 2 boats come right up to me and try to sell me tube rides and one in a sea kyack (cant spell) selling konch and "Monja" whatever that is. . Belive it or not, that was the very first public speedo negitive comment ive ever gotten from anybody in 25 yrs. I even showed up there wearing one of my Kilts wheich nobody sayed anything about. The pic below is taken in St Maarten the day before, Didnt have a problem there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg David on beach.jpg (87.5 KB, 41 views)
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default trade for a day

men and women should all agree to trade for a day. if youve ever had the freedom of walking or swimming/tanning withouth these stupid looking steve ercle clown pants you would understand, ladies try walking in them wet. they will give you some really great tan lines. why dont we just wear long jeans no sense just tanning just your ankles. americans are just too worried about what each other thinks. I here so many storys of guys that will wear speedos and thongs on out of the country vacations, no problem come home with family and friends. yeah right ! i would never do that yeah okay! who cares about what somebody might think, you live one time enjoy the beach how you want.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Great idea Norm!

That would show the people that like to reveal their underwear in public!!
I disagree with the wedgie idea as I was on the receiving end of one on my cruise to St Maarten and it was not fun. I was wearing a brizialian type bikini (not a speedo per sa, but a type of mens swimsuit which is smaller in the rear). This suit kept riding up on one side which caused me to keep having to adjust it (all day I'm told) and well my friends finally decided they had enough, two of them yanked them up my butt in front of everyone while I was at the bar getting drinks (for them no less), practically lifting me off the ground and I was totally humiliated! I say NO to the WEDGIE!
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Admiral

jordanhanson,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I disagree with the wedgie idea as I was on the receiving end of one on my cruise to St Maarten and it was not fun. I was wearing a brizialian type bikini (not a speedo per sa, but a type of mens swimsuit which is smaller in the rear). This suit kept riding up on one side which caused me to keep having to adjust it (all day I'm told) and well my friends finally decided they had enough, two of them yanked them up my butt in front of everyone while I was at the bar getting drinks (for them no less), practically lifting me off the ground and I was totally humiliated! I say NO to the WEDGIE!
You're missing the point. If one wants to deter socially unacceptable behavior (in the case of the earlier comment, exposed underwear), one must make the consequences of such socially unacceptable behavior sufficiently unpleasant to deter it. The combination of physical pain and public humiliation inflicted by a good wedgie would do precisely that, as you obviously learned from personal experience.

But to be clear, a bathing suit is not counted as underwear.

Norm.
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
I just got back from my cruise over Thanksgiving where one of the stops was St Lucia. We wanted to go to a beach semi private less crowded etc. But were talked into going to a popular beach that had allot of activitys and rentals etc. Of course I wore my speedo as always. Ive been there about an hour or so swimming then walking down and back along the waters edge when one of the locals that "ran" the beach yelled to me "Hey buddy, put some shorts on"..I glanced over waved and kept walking just ignoring him shaking my head. "Whatever". I continued swimming and minding my own business untill i left with family members that were with me. THis beach is not very toursist friendly, They haggle you every 5 minutes trying to get you to buy things. Even in water. I had 2 boats come right up to me and try to sell me tube rides and one in a sea kyack (cant spell) selling konch and "Monja" whatever that is. . Belive it or not, that was the very first public speedo negitive comment ive ever gotten from anybody in 25 yrs. I even showed up there wearing one of my Kilts wheich nobody sayed anything about. The pic below is taken in St Maarten the day before, Didnt have a problem there.
and you wear them well!
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:12 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1261 View Post
men and women should all agree to trade for a day. if youve ever had the freedom of walking or swimming/tanning withouth these stupid looking steve ercle clown pants you would understand, ladies try walking in them wet. they will give you some really great tan lines. why dont we just wear long jeans no sense just tanning just your ankles. americans are just too worried about what each other thinks. I here so many storys of guys that will wear speedos and thongs on out of the country vacations, no problem come home with family and friends. yeah right ! i would never do that yeah okay! who cares about what somebody might think, you live one time enjoy the beach how you want.
I wear mine all time, at home, at the local lake, on my boat, whatever. And of course on vacation as well. I dont even own any "clown pants"..I spend allot of time at gym so im not ashamed of my body. Not to many guys at 48 can still wear clothes from 30 yrs ago. My waist is still same size as from HS when I was 18. What gets me..Nothing is said about all the out of shape women wearing the same brief style swimwear, but its perfectly accepted for them....What is the *&^$#* Differance!!!????
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I don't understand why there are so many complaints about speedos and not an equal amount for plunging necklines revealing even more plunging bosoms. Ladies - I don't want to see your former glory and if you are in your current glory my DW doesn't want me to see that

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:06 AM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I don't understand why there are so many complaints about speedos and not an equal amount for plunging necklines revealing even more plunging bosoms. Ladies - I don't want to see your former glory and if you are in your current glory my DW doesn't want me to see that
EXACTLY!..You know in todays society women are allowed to get away with anything and everything even the way they dress..Body type dosent matter..Booty short shorts, bikinis, short dresses and skirts, any type of pants...Whatever..You women wear short shorts and dresses because of what? comfort, right?..What about us guys? were stuck with long shorts below the knees, and that goes for swimwear..God forbid if a guy shows any thigh!!..We want to be comfortable also. All you women that wears those type..Go wear those long shorts and long swimwear that us guys have to wear due to "society's" rules and you will know how we feel. Those rules dont apply to me..Im just saying and setting a example.

If a guy wears anything above the knee and a skimpy swimsut, even with a good body, they are considered "weird", "gay", etc. Even by there own kind..I wear Kilts and Speedos and I get weird looks..But yet women wear "pants"..Whats the differance? I wear whats comfortable..On my last cruise I heard a teen girl yell out "That guy is wearing a skirt" (Me in a Kilt). I then said.."hey look, that girl is wearing pants"..She then shut up and left.

Ok you guys, wear your long "dork shorts" get that "farmers" tan and the shorts stay wet after swimming with the wet spots under your clothes. My Speedo drys almost immediatly, and I get a good tan with it and I can wear it to and from beach or pool under a Kilt or shorts and not worry about wet spots. The taxi driver made my Nephew sit on a towel on way back to ship from the beach because his "dork shorts" were still wet.. My suit was already dry.

Last edited by david30101; March 14th, 2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Captain

I have to agree with David; it's nobody's business. Women can were tight short shorts showing ass cracks and fat thighs with bulging varicose veins but men can't get away with a speedo. Get over it. I'm not a speedo wearer, but I absolutely do not care if men around me do. I see it all the time in Europe. In fact, the men in Europe are in so much better shape, we as Americans should try to follow their example.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Can't remember if I commented on this but one reason men wear brief swimwear is to get a tan as much as possible.
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I always wear a speedo when I go to the beach, pool or any other time wear swimwear is the expected attire. I don't wear anything that would be considered obscene but I hate having a great tan to my waist and then having an untanned portion from my waist to my knees. I don't complain about other people and their choice of swimwear so why would I worry about what they think of mine. Plus, my wife likes the way I look in them and that is a good enough reason for me to keep wearing them.