CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Speedos...... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/313377-speedos.html)

MaryLou May 2nd, 2006 07:07 PM

Speedos......

I know you have all witnessed men in Speedos on your cruise. It's just my opinion, but I believe they should be banned (for men of all builds!) LOL. There is just too little material in those suits. What do you all think?

Mike M May 2nd, 2006 07:19 PM

It really doesn't bother me. Most of the time the belly hangs over so you don't see it anyway. LOL

Seriously: I don't mind. I'm the type who takes the same attitude as many Europeans and South Pacific cultures and doesn't pay too much attention any more. I vote to just chuck all of them.

Most of us don't look that great in a bathing suit so what the heck.

Take care,
Mike (Who isn't a nudist)

MaryLou May 2nd, 2006 07:24 PM

Mike, you do have a very valid point. Maybe we should all take the European attitude and just relax and enjoy!

nlb1050 May 2nd, 2006 07:46 PM

Speedos

It's as bad on some men as bikinis are on some women. They just either don't know how it looks on them or don't care.

You really have to have the right type of body for either.

Donna May 2nd, 2006 08:04 PM

I agree with you ML, leave the speedos at home.

Trip May 2nd, 2006 08:50 PM

Not being a European:) I cannot say in this case, to each his own...Sorry, that's just me;)

And I have to agree, that some women in bikini's also get an oh my...On one cruise, a woman was so into the music by the pool, she fell out of her bathing suit top!!

I am also from the generation, where, I can't see pregnant woman wearing two piece bathing suits...Go ahead, flame away if you want...:(

Rev22:17 May 2nd, 2006 09:28 PM

MaryLou,

I know you have all witnessed men in Speedos on your cruise. It's just my opinion, but I believe they should be banned (for men of all builds!) . There is just too little material in those suits. What do you all think?

The ideal Caribbean swimsuit is the one that takes the least spaec in one's suitcase.

For guys, that's Speedos.

For gals, that's the matching "separates" thong bottoms & triangle tops with sheer wrap skirt cover-ups.

And, of cousre, those who are overweight should shed a few pounds to fit into smaller sizes....

Norm.

Pootersdad May 3rd, 2006 07:01 AM

Speedos

The last time I looked good in a Speedo was probably when I was in high school. The older I got, the more difficult it was to suck in my stomach and talk at the same time, so I opted for the conventional swim suit. :D

LisaK May 3rd, 2006 09:19 AM

personally i do not like them. The only men who look half-way decent in them are professional swimmers/divers.
You know you are going to see it, and its good for an "Oh my goodness what was he thinking?"

grammy444 May 15th, 2006 10:02 AM

I think that most Americans are much to concerned with 'body image'! Europeans wear bikinis and Speedos to 1) get tan and 2) swim, and for the most part it has nothing to do with how they look. If you ever went to a clothing optional beach you would find the same thing - there you would see people with all sorts of body shapes, and many with deformed bodies as well, and they are out there not to show off what they have (or not) but to relax in a place where they are accepted. Yes, others may look, but not ogle!

JamesRT November 2nd, 2006 01:47 PM

Ban 'em!

CruisinK n J November 2nd, 2006 08:10 PM

Speedos

Ban 'em!

Judy

jonoxl November 3rd, 2006 03:23 AM

Guess I'll not bother packing my leopard skin thong
for this holiday then. :evil:

dina November 3rd, 2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoxl

Pack it. Its your vacation. :wink:

SeasickNotHomesick November 3rd, 2006 02:25 PM

It's a matter of choice. For a democratic republic, why are there those who resent men choosing speedos? I always wear speedos (I'm actually quite flattering - according to my wife and lady friends - so it helps) and it's entirely because for a better tan and better swim - yes, I don't mind the attention either.

First, let people wear whatever they like. It's as much their holiday as it is yours.

Second, can you imagine obese passengers placed on a food quota on their cruise because they're fat?

Finally, don't interfer with my choice of speedos and I won't interfer with your choice (or is it amount) of food!

jonoxl November 3rd, 2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoxl

Pack it. Its your vacation. :wink:

Dina, after having to personally kill the leopard with
my bare hands, then find out that the pouch was a
bit on the small side, I don't think that I'll bother on
this cruise. Next time I'll go for a bigger cat. :D

alviriv November 3rd, 2006 08:42 PM

Pack 'em

It gives us some good converstaion topics....

dfhawk60 November 3rd, 2006 10:51 PM

Wear what you want and enjoy your vacation!!

Fruitcake November 6th, 2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev22:17

And, of cousre, those who are overweight should shed a few pounds to fit inot smaller sizes....

Norm.

Why?
Shouldn't people be allowed to be happy with the way they look?
There are plenty of plus-size folks who are.
What if they don't care to shed a few pounds, and what if they don't want to fit into smaller sizes?

Just curious.

Fruitcake November 6th, 2006 04:38 PM

Reminds me of kids back in the day.

You know, there was always that kid on the playground whose bag of marbles was bigger than everyone else's.

jonoxl November 7th, 2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Reminds me of kids back in the day.

You know, there was always that kid on the playground whose bag of marbles was bigger than everyone else's.

Yep, and some folk just looked like a bag of marbles. :mrgreen:

Paul B November 7th, 2006 01:18 PM

Speedos, thongs, bikinis, why should anyone really care. If you are offended, you don't have to keep looking. I am sure that all of us wear or do things that someone somewhere might object to. If I am to be my brother's keeper, it should be to help rather than criticize.

Live and let live and you will live longer.

mteague November 8th, 2006 02:13 PM

Don't like em.

Why do men look in the mirror, suck in their gut, pat their chest and think they look great? Then they walk away and the gut falls out like a water balloon! They never think they look heavy, at least not mine!

CurtB November 12th, 2006 12:16 PM

I agree that it's the rare gentleman who shows to advantage in a Speedo.

However, I wonder how the ladies posting feel about the Britney epidemic known as the "muffintop midriff" :shock: ? It's certainly more prevalent by at least an order of magnitude.

fitguy January 21st, 2007 01:07 PM

Speedo Guy

Trying to figure out a way to make a statement/ask a question. Seems as though most of the reply's to this post agree that they do not want to see a grown man in speedo. Is that because you don't like the style or you think that the men that wear them look inappropriate because they are out of shape and overweight? Reason I ask is that I'm 47 and I'm told I'm in the best shape of my life at 6' and a very fit and firm 200lbs. Usually if someone guesses my age they generally guess late 30's. In an effort to start preparing for retirement and to be able to stay very active and do what I want when I want I started working out and exercising on a very regular basis when I turned 45. I just wonder if I wore a speedo if I'd be viewed as inappropriate as well.

TiffTurtle January 21st, 2007 11:05 PM

as long as nothings "looking around" its all ok......lol

kcormier19 January 22nd, 2007 12:07 PM

doesn't matter to me

personally, if a man wants to wear a speedo, thats great. if he has that much confidence all the better. the same hold true for a woman who wears a thong or a 2 piece that coveres less then the norm. sure it's a plus if they have the body to go with it but who am i to say someone should not wear something that makes them feel sexy or attractive or just good about themselves.

fitguy January 23rd, 2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiffTurtle
as long as nothings "looking around" its all ok......lol

Well it's just that I take great care in making sure I'm in the best possible shape I can be in at any given time. I've spent many hours at the gym just to get to where I am today. As far as it "looking around", it surely wouldn't be on purpose that the wood popped up, sometimes it just happens. Not on purpose, it just happens. And if it did I would simply discreetly cover myself with a towel as not to draw attention to it.

LisaK January 24th, 2007 09:58 AM

how do we put this delicately except to say that regular speedos leave nothing to the imagination.
For me personally i think that a man in good shape with a six-pack, wearing trunks is much sexier

Rev22:17 February 3rd, 2007 11:36 PM

Fruitcake,

Quote:

Originally Posted by I

And, of cousre, those who are overweight should shed a few pounds to fit inot smaller sizes....

Norm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Why?
Shouldn't people be allowed to be happy with the way they look?
There are plenty of plus-size folks who are.
What if they don't care to shed a few pounds, and what if they don't want to fit into smaller sizes?

Just curious.

The issue here is not one's appearance. Rather, it's the fact that "plus sized" clothing has more material, and thus requires more space in and adds more weight to one's luggage. This translates to a need to bring bigger suitcases and a likely problem with the airlines' weight restrictions.

And as an added bonus, loss of weight provides tremendous health benefits for those who are obese.

Norm.