Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Tips for dressing for shore.

When going ashore in most ports, leave the designer fashions on the boat and keep the jewelery to a bare minimum. This is most important in the Caribbean, Asia and African areas.

Nothing will attract the local street vendors and street people more than the well dressed and nothing makes you a target more than the sparkling jewelry. The ships have safes for those rings and necklaces so use them.

You can't hide the fact that many of us are white Anglo and in many areas that makes you stand out but you don't have to stand out too much. When I go ashore I don't look like I have too much money and try to "dress down". I actually don't have much money on me unless I find an ATM machine.

I have seen more than once people who are dressed to the nines that are mobbed by local vendors and street urchins while I have been bypassed for better prey. This was very evident on my last Asian cruise.

Last but not least: Treat people with respect and in most cases they will do the same to you. However there are times that a firm: NO is required.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Mike,

When going ashore in most ports, leave the designer fashions on the boat and keep the jewelery to a bare minimum. This is most important in the Caribbean, Asia and African areas.

Nothing will attract the local street vendors and street people more than the well dressed and nothing makes you a target more than the sparkling jewelry. The ships have safes for those rings and necklaces so use them.

You can't hide the fact that many of us are white Anglo and in many areas that makes you stand out but you don't have to stand out too much. When I go ashore I don't look like I have too much money and try to "dress down". I actually don't have much money on me unless I find an ATM machine.

I have seen more than once people who are dressed to the nines that are mobbed by local vendors and street urchins while I have been bypassed for better prey. This was very evident on my last Asian cruise.

That's very good advice.

The one point that I would add is to be sensitive to local customs and social norms. Particularly in Europe and in the middle east, one does not enter houses of worship with bare shoulders, midriffs, or knees and many Christian churches require women to wear some sort of head covering, such as a hat or a kerchief (see I Corinthians 11:1-16, noting that the women with shaved heads in ancient Corinth were the temple prostitutes, for an explanation as to why). The more that one can blend into the local population, the better.

Norm.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Admiral

that is great advise! don't attract undo attention upon yourself.
Hint: Do not overburden yourself with"stuff and packages while on shore, you become a target for pick-pockets this way.
Men - NEVER, NEVER carry your wallet in your back pocket. Put it in a zipped front pocket or carry a fanny-hip pack.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The small backpack is the best friend anyone can have when going ashore. It holds water and other needs for the day and can also handle your smaller purchases.

Cargo pants and shorts are one of the greatest inventions since sliced bread. Especially ones with a zippered front pocket. Just don't overload yourself and look like a pack mule.

Distribute your cash between your pockets and have an "emergency" source in the sock, bra, or pinned in the underwear.

Also, if you are on your own and outside the tourist areas of a port, take the "shopping sticker" you received and throw it away or put it on the inside of your collar or shirt. It basically brands you as a target.

Actually throw the thing away. Just show your ship's card when you buy something at an approved store and receive the same discount.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Passenger

All good advice. I too use a small back pack for water, camera, and "stuff". I also like to layer a bit with sport (like llbean or patagonia) shorts or capris, tank top or t-shirt. That way those pants can get wet and they dry fast. Don't forget sunscreen and a hat!! You see so many people coming back to the ship sunburned. I agree....ditch the stickers and store coupons from the ship! I find locals are great when treated with respect to their community.