Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Default Tan in a bottle?

have any of you tried any of the many formulations out there? If so what works best for you?
Have you tried any of the "natural glow" lotions that seem to be all the rage out now? body/face lotions that are supposed to give you a hint of color, a natural gradual glow.

Last edited by Trip; January 19th, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Lisa, I was also wondering about the spray on ones too, work..I am a child of the orange skin era, in the 60's... Oh my!

Last spring, in the Boston area, you could not find the Jergens glow product to save your soul...I got them in June in Florida I might try them again.. Last summer, the hunt was more important The mystic tan, I tried once, never again..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Default Tan in a Bottle?

I stay covered up as much as possible. Too old to be a beach baby. Besides, I don't like having all of those skin cancers removed.

Judy
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Passenger

I used Toma's Tan Perfect before my own and my SIL's wedding's and really liked the results. No streaks, no orange. Picked it up on friend's recommendation and have recommended it to others several times since!

Carnival Triumph- 1st Cruise!!
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Banana Boat used to have a spray on one, but I haven't used it in years. It went on well with no streaking and didn't turn orange.

I would never do a mystic tan. DH's ex-wife did it before her wedding/honeymoon and she turned ORANGE!!
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Never, but will do the tanning spa for a bit before cruising.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Captain

I use the Jergen's product and like it a lot. Very natural looking and has a nice smell. I've used several of the self tanners and found that the Neutrogena products work the best for my skin type (pasty blonde Irish-German). They have one that builds in layers so you can build the tan up to a certain level. That seems to work better for me than buying the light, medium or dark kind.

A few years ago my vanity got me (rule no. 1: never cruise with skinny, glamorous friends) and I got one of those spray on tans. It actually didn't look TOO bad, except for the hands and feet. But about 3 days into the cruise I noticed my tan was breaking down in places and my legs had this alligator sorta' pattern on them. Jeez.

I found a web site by doing a search of "self tanners" and there are lots of hints and message boards about products and how to make them look good. Might be worth your while.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Beginner

FAKE BAKE!! Have used it for years. Best product I've ever used! ***edited to remove commercial reference*** Lots of products available on the site, but I only use the tanning lotion.

Be sure and keep in the refrigerator to prolong product life. It's all natural - doesn't stain fabrics either - washes out. Doesn't flake off skin, just fades gradually. Biggest application secret is to use very little at a time and rub, rub, rub.

Have fun!!

(We're on the Island Princess Alaska Cruisetour June 15, 2006!!)
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Beginner

I don't tan, because I have extremely fair skin and hair, so I would look a little awkward if I did tan.(I've never been tan, I just can't physically get tan naturally) Plus, skin cancer runs in the family, so I use a TON of sunscreen =(
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Passenger

I love my tan in a bottle! I am very fair so I don't go out in the sun much...to much skin cancer in my family! I used to go with the Jergens lotion but lately I have been into the Aveeno lotion and I use the Jergens that they make for the face. It takes a bit of practice to not get streaks or dark spots. After a bit it's nothing to use. My friends now that I am back home in the North can't believe that my "tan" is fake. They think I go to a tanning salon. Make sure that you exfoliate it makes a difference!
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Default Fake Bake

Love , love , love this product. Just ordered some and rec'd yesterday. Heard about it thru the post here. I must say that the color is gorgeous.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Captain

Wow, what a great endorsement. I'm going to send for some.
Now, does anybody have a product that will make 10 pounds fall off my thighs, preferably overnight and definately without giving up any of the 3 major food groups - chocolate, cheesecake, cheap white wine.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Default Tan in a bottle

Magnolia Blossom,
The good news is that having a tan will give the illusion that you are 10 pounds lighter - at least that's what i tell myself!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Wow, what a great endorsement. I'm going to send for some.
Now, does anybody have a product that will make 10 pounds fall off my thighs, preferably overnight and definately without giving up any of the 3 major food groups - chocolate, cheesecake, cheap white wine.
Magnolia!!! Don't we all want that?

My favorite tanning cream is Bain de Soleil Deep Dark. Don't be scared by the deep dark part...it's not THAT dark, and it goes on with a slight tint so you can see where you're putting it. But I go to the tanning beds too..I got so burned in Hawaii a couple of years ago, that I learned my lesson, and now have a decent base tan before I go anywhere tropical.

Becky
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Yes, I've tried a few, and funny Trip should mention not being able to find Jergens, because I have the same problem. It is the one that works best for me, and it is hard to find.
I like the product, however I have two problems with it, in that it stains clothes and car seats, especially if you wear something white), and if you have barely visible "age spots" they will be come glaringly obvious.
I guess maybe I should just stay pasty white....;-)

donna
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I tried that when I was about 20 .Then I was a sun worshiper for many ,many years .
Closed Thread