Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default What's so uncomfortable about a tux, suit, or gown?

I've really never been able to figure out why someone would find a tux, suit, or in the case of ladies.. a gown uncomfortable enough to warrant avoiding them, or trekking back to the cabin to change out of them.

I've found that if the clothing fits the way it should I'm just as comfortable as in a pair of blue jeans (which I might add I don't find particularly comfortable). Put me in a baggy sweat suit, and I understand comfort, otherwise to me it's sort of all the same.

But at the end of the evening, if I'm in a baggy sweat suit, Mrs. Kuki is alot less likely to want to help me out of it

Can anyone put into words, so a simply guy like me can understand, what's so uncomfortable?
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I don't think Bruce, or I have ever changed after dinner, but I think, many times for woman, its whats under the dress, that may make it uncomfortable. Different undergarments for different kinds of formal wear, can dictate comfortablity.

I think with a guy, maybe the only thing that could be a pain, is a new pair of shoes...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

I am thinking the "uncomfortable" issue is perhaps more just attitude. If someone is not the type of person to get all dressed up to start with, then they perhaps are the ones going back to change after dinner.

If I am going to take the time to go get my hair done and take the effort to put on a beautiful gown, why waste my money and effort to change into something less flattering and that won't knock someones socks off so to speak. So I guess I would have to say, "Dang straight I am going to wear it the rest of the evening and enjoy the attention for it too! " I don't get the opportunity to do that at home, and I am sure not going to bypass it when I do.

Jane

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

I've found that if the clothing fits the way it should I'm just as comfortable as in a pair of blue jeans (which I might add I don't find particularly comfortable). Put me in a baggy sweat suit, and I understand comfort, otherwise to me it's sort of all the same.

There are three things that can make clothing uncomfortable.

>> 1 Poor fit. There's nothing worse than clothing that's too tight -- especially shoes and collars that are too small.

>> 2. Poor fabric. There's nothing worse than burlap, but denim is not much better.

>> 3. Poor workmanship. A rough stitch against ths skin is awful.

I also find that rental formalwear often does not fit as well as something that's proeperly tailored for me.

Even so, I have never changed out of the prescribed evening attire before the end of the evening.

But at the end of the evening, if I'm in a baggy sweat suit, Mrs. Kuki is alot less likely to want to help me out of it.

That sounds like pretty strong incentive!

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Guys count your blessings that you don't have to deal with Pantyhose. On one of our formal nights the seas were a bit rough so trying to walk in heels was a major issue for all the women. We looked like drunken sailors weaving down the halls trying to balance. It was pretty funny. After dinner, I decided I'd better change before I break an ankle.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Passenger

I think for most women it's the heels. I don't wear them at home chasing around my kids on regular basis...go figure! But...I will sacrfice a gorgeous pair of shoes for the right outfit. Especially on a formal night. It's nice to get all dressed up!
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Admiral

We never change on formal night. W don't get that dressed up a t home so this is only chance. In fact while deciding on next cruise one choice was NCL and when I told hubby that there is no real formal night he actually told me it is nice to dress up and he doesn't mind. He doesn't have a tux but a very nice dark suit, I pack 2 shirts with ties so he does look a bit different each formal night.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Admiral

dina,

Guys count your blessings that you don't have to deal with Pantyhose.

Neither do ladies. Stockings & garter belts are perfectly acceptable. Some husbands might even prefer them....

On one of our formal nights the seas were a bit rough so trying to walk in heels was a major issue for all the women. We looked like drunken sailors weaving down the halls trying to balance. It was pretty funny. After dinner, I decided I'd better change before I break an ankle.

Of course, you could change into shoes that would be safer under the conditions without changing the rest of your attire. It's probably a good idea to bring a pair of dressy pumps with a low heal, or perhaps dressy flats, to wear in case of rough weather.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Admiral

fleaberry,

I think for most women it's the heels. I don't wear them at home chasing around my kids on regular basis...go figure! But...I will sacrfice a gorgeous pair of shoes for the right outfit. Especially on a formal night. It's nice to get all dressed up!

You could wear dressy pumps with a more modest heel, or even dressy flats if necessary, if you are not accustomed to walking on spike heels. There's no need to wear something that makes you miserable just because it's a formal evening.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
dina,

Guys count your blessings that you don't have to deal with Pantyhose.

Neither do ladies. Stockings & garter belts are perfectly acceptable. Some husbands might even prefer them....

On one of our formal nights the seas were a bit rough so trying to walk in heels was a major issue for all the women. We looked like drunken sailors weaving down the halls trying to balance. It was pretty funny. After dinner, I decided I'd better change before I break an ankle.

Of course, you could change into shoes that would be safer under the conditions without changing the rest of your attire. It's probably a good idea to bring a pair of dressy pumps with a low heal, or perhaps dressy flats, to wear in case of rough weather.

Norm.
Hi Norm,

I did think about taking garter and stockings. Unfortunately, depending on the length of the gown and how it fits, you'll end up with showing everyone that your wearing them. They make lumps where the straps are. I didn't want to offend any of my fellow passengers with telegraphing my undergarmets. I do agree that they are more comfortable then pantyhose.

I limited my shoes to one pair of formal heels and my gown would drag on the floor if I wore flats. I preferred not to ruin my silk dress by doing that but thank you for the tip for next time.

Carolin

Old May 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

if your clothes fit you properly and are of good quality they should not be in the least bit uncomfortable. Its all in what you are used to.
My gowns are form-fitting so the proper undergarments are required. Actually i like the way they shape, hug me and "lift", are they uncomfortable? No, because they fit properly.
Same goes for shoes, if they fit you properly they should not be uncomfortable to walk in
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Carolin,

I limited my shoes to one pair of formal heels and my gown would drag on the floor if I wore flats. I preferred not to ruin my silk dress by doing that but thank you for the tip for next time.

Could you use something with a lower and wider heel, like a pump?

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Admiral

The heels I wore were 2 inches with a wider heel. I'm short (4'11") so any height I can get I take.

Normally, I'm very comfortable in them but the swaying of the ship was even too much for them. Perhaps next time, I'll go with a shorter cocktail dress instead of a gown so that I won't have to worry about length.

Old May 17th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to smw047

Sally Hansen has a product out that eliminates the hassle of pantyhose or stockings...though the whole garter belt and stocking thing is a different feel for a different mood...that's for another time though Back on track- it comes in a can and is applied to the legs by hand without any real mess ..just a quick hand wash afterwards and you're done. The product gives an airbrush effect to the legs and comes in quite a few shades. I've never been one to fuss with pantyhose and prefer none to any, but have found this product really add to any look...and even accentuates nicely tanned bodies!
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Default Trip are you packed yet??

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Default heels

Sorry Rev,
but I am a shoe hound and can't sacrifice fashion for a few hours of comfort! I don't wear heals that are spiked or too high, but when you are used to dansko clogs, it is a stretch. Plus if I get a pedicure at the salon I have to show that off! Good thing I only get to cruise once a year to have to make these so very important decisions!!!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Admiral

fleaberry,

I don't wear heals that are spiked or too high, but when you are used to dansko clogs, it is a stretch. Plus if I get a pedicure at the salon I have to show that off! Good thing I only get to cruise once a year to have to make these so very important decisions!!!! (boldface added)

So the real problem is that you are taking only one cruise per year? Okay, then Dr. Norm prescribes monthly cruises of not less than fourteen days so you'll get more practice walking in heels and thus feel less awkward when doing so! :-)

Seriously, the point was simply to have some dressy shoes that would provide adequate stability in event of rough seas available in case of need. I mentioned "pumps" as an example of a dressy shoe with a lower and wider heel, and thus better stability, than a shoes with spike heels, but open shoes with a similar heel and enough "upper" in the back to keep your heels from sliding sideways would work just as well.

Norm.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Default What's Sol Uncomfortable about a Tux or Gown?

For me, it's the d***mned shoes! I have problems with my feet (caused by arthritis and diabetes) and can only wear a wide width. It's difficult to find a fashionable evening shoe that's a D width. They're mostly called "comfort shoes." I call 'em frumpy.

Just discovered that my one pair of dressy shoes that were comfortable are among the missing. I think I left them on the Queen Mary last month.

Judy
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Admiral

Judy,

For me, it's the d***mned shoes! I have problems with my feet (caused by arthritis and diabetes) and can only wear a wide width. It's difficult to find a fashionable evening shoe that's a D width. They're mostly called "comfort shoes." I call 'em frumpy.

Most shoe stores probably don't sell enough shoes in your width to support the investment in inventory. Nonetheless, they should be able to order your size for you.

Norm.