Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default This Croc, Won't Bite!

On GMA this morning they showed a lightweight brightly colored, rubber shoe called, Crocs. While not for my tastes, they sure looked like it would make a great beach shoe.

They are waterproof, of course, and they float, if you wear them in the water..Not sure if the bottom is pebbled, but maybe good for Dunns River climbing. I am sure a quick search will show you many options..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Ocean State Job Lot(my fav store!) has something very similar on sale this week! I think they were like $10.00 per pair. They have a pebbled bottom. The only draw back might be that since they are rubber they would get really hot and sticky if you wore them for anything else than in the water.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Admiral

You know Lisa, now that you mention it, I did see those in the ad. too. OSJL is one of my fave stores. I bet the $10.00 is a deal, compared to what the Crocs might cost!

Old May 26th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Passenger

My husband wears a black pair of crocs to work. The inside sole is pebbled and feels good on your feet (especially after a 12 hour shift!). Also, my 8 year old has a purple pair. One nice feature of the real crocs (not sure if the Job lot ones are original) is that you can put them in the top rack of the dishwasher and they come out looking brand new....honest! I tried it not with any other dishes in it but it really did work great. I think they will be our official boat shoe for this summer. Especially since they float if the kids lose one overboard they can go get it!
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Passenger

Payless sells a "Croc" like shoe by AirWalk for about 1/2 the cost of crocs. I work in a hospital and wear them to work a lot. I have about 10 or more colors. Even cheaper when they have BOGO sales.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Passenger

You can find Crocs online. Not sure we are supposed to link here, so just google it!
They will tell you where you can buy them, too. Dillard's and Pacific Sun carry them. The real things are only $29.99 a pair.

I have three pair.
I wore a pair at Disney World last month, walked all over Epcot all day and into the evening. Temps were in the 80s. My feet did not sweat.
My feet did not ache.
They are wonderful!

A friend of mine introduced me to them. She and her husband wear them all the time!

I definitely will pack my Crocs for my next cruise.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM
First Mate

Default beware of knockoffs!

My husband and I have been wearing (real) crocs for 3 years. They are not rubber, they are closed-cell resin (it's a patented process that only Crocs has the rights to). They are anti-microbial, which means they resist bacteria growth and getting smelly. The knock-offs are cheap plastic and do not have those features. I have 11 pairs of crocs, both the *beach* model (clog-style) and the new flip-flop style. Crocs are $29.95 so I can't imagine throwing money away on knock offs. Crocs has also filed suit against the companies that make the knockoffs so I will imagine they will be pulled off of the market (I know WM sells knockoffs, too). We've worn them on beaches and the sand and water just wash through them. We wear them on our 1 mile walk on the deck each day when we're cruising, and we wear them on the 5K Komen race for the cure every year--no blisters! We haven't worn sneakers since we discovered crocs. In the winter we wear them with socks--they are so much more sure-footed than conventional shoes in the snow. Real crocs, because of the material, conform to your individual feet as you wear them, so they become even more comfortable as you wear them. I still have my original pair from 3 years ago and I wore them when we were building our new screened room and climbing up and down off of the roof--no slipping or sliding! My biggest problem is trying to figure out which colors I take on cruises...(thankfully they only weigh about 1 oz. each, so I can tuck them into all sorts of places in the luggage without worrying about the weight restrictions.). My husband has several pair, too, and loves them, especially since he would never wear sandals and didn't have comfortable shoes to wear in the summer. Can you tell how much I love my CROCS??
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Default cleaning CROCS

I've never put my crocs in the dishwasher and am not sure I would (I've seen other people say that they do that, too). I'd be afraid the hot water and dishwashing detergent would be too harsh. When we bought our first pairs (online at crocs.com because very few stores carried them at the time--happily that's changed!) CROCS suggested on their website to use Armorall to clean them--it really restores the shine and removes any dust and dirt. So, we just give them all an Armorall treatment every so often. Since my original pair has been worn for hundreds of miles and still looks good, I think it works!
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Passenger

Default crocodile dundee

Since my 8 year old cannot find her pair of crocs I picked up a pair of fakes at Wallyworld....they are NOT the same. They are ok for her to trudge around in, but I think if we can't find them they will be replaced for the summer. As I said before, they make great shoes for boating, as they don't slip and can go through water and they have a closed toe. I don't know what to tell you about the dishwasher but the real ones came out great even with the detergent and the hot water. They are the best!
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Gotta get CROCS

I tried on a pair of CROCS whenwe were in Hawaii and loved that they are almost weightless, and they are well cushioned. I really want to get a pair, but am waiting for Dillards to get some more in the style and color I want. I guess they are really big sellers.
Those of you who wear them sound like me when I talk about my Birkinstocks. To me there is nothing more comfortable as they are. I retired as an RN last year, and I wore them for 12-13 hour shifts, being on my feet nonstop. I also have several pairs of Birk. sandles that I could not live without.
Neither Birks or CROCS are attractive, but who cares, when you can comfortable walk for miles in them!
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Admiral

When I was in Key West recently, the woman I was visiting wear Birkies all the time, and has a ton of them..We looked for the Heidi Klum ones, with rhinestones, but no one had them, & they are $$$. If I ever were to wear them, I would need a rhinestone or two, or 4

Old July 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Default This Croc Won't Bite

In SoCal, Nordstrom carries Crocs and the L.A.Times did an article on them! I've never tried them on; maybe I should. I have a wide foot and othe problems with my feet, so I don't know if they'd fit.

Judy
Old July 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Judy, this friend tried some Crocs on in Key West as well, she has a narrow foot, and they didn't work for her..look alikes worked better..I bet they would be fine for a wider foot.

Old July 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Admiral

I've been resisting crocs for 2 reasons:

1. I have a narrow foot and the ones I tried on seemed awfully WIDE;

2. They aren't, IMHO, very attractive!

I admit it, my love of shoes sometimes finds me wearing those that aren't the most comfortable. Crocs DO look so very comfortable, I might have to give in!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
First Mate

be careful, because your concern about the looks will wilt and die when you try them, so be prepared to cross over to the *dark side*. No one loves cute shoes more than me (except maybe for Imelda Marcos) but now I only wear *regular* shoes to work. My theory has always been if I like a pair then I get them in all colors, which now has spilled over into my Crocs obsession. It's nothing but crocs for me when I'm not at work. In the winter we wear them with socks for these cold Midwestern days. I wear a 9 narrow and have never had a problem with them being too wide. My DH has a very wide foot and his fit, too. The real Crocs conform to your own foot the more that you wear them and the heel cup helps prevent your foot from sliding around too much. I usually wear mine with the strap forward, clog style, and they never slip off or give me blisters. DH likes to wear his with the strap back, sandals style.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Ok desdemonia, I'm sold!!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Passenger

What is the best style for cruising and more specifically water type shore excursions followed by shopping. There are about 20 styles online. I have been recommended the beach and the cayman but i can't find a difference between them. Do any croc "experts" know the difference and which would be best.

Thanks

Freedom in less than 2 weeks
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM
First Mate

They are the same style but the sizing is different. The Beach style is sized in ranges, for example a Medium is a 8-9 for women and a 7-8 for men, etc. The cayman style are size specific, which some people prefer. ( I have both and the caymans are a tad more snug in the fit)

You can't go wrong with either. We wear them for walking on the beach (the sand and water wash through them) and then continue on for the power shopping. I think DH wishes I didn't find them so comfortable because I certainly enjoy shopping more than I used to--no tired feet!
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Yeoman

Desdemona, you must have stock in Crocs! :-)

I think I have Cayman -- they fit better than Beach.
I see lots of people down here in Florida wearing them.
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM
First Mate

Quote:
"Fruitcake"]Desdemona, you must have stock in Crocs! :-)

I've always said that if I had a dollar for every time I've been stopped in stores, airports, resorts, on cruise ships, etc. and asked about crocs I'd be able to buy ALL of the colors I'm not exaggerating to say that we've been stopped by people over a hundred times since we started wearing them 3 years ago. So, when Crocs began to be publicly traded in February we jumped on the chance to buy a few shares. That just reinforces how much we love them!
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Yeoman

I just read an article on the business pages of our local paper -- all about Crocs and their popularity and their rising stock prices! I am glad you bought some stock as you are such a strong advocate for the product!

I am seeing more and more people wearing them these days down here. They are perfect for our summer weather, especially.
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
First Mate

Default new style

the new Mary Jane style Crocs is now out--just when I thought I was done buying them for a while...
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Desdemona01

Do you have the Jibbitz for crocs? I'm a fellow croc lover and they are little decorations for your crocs. You push them through the holes.

Jane
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Xmas Tree shops here in N.E. had Croc knock-offs for much less than Ocean State...Okay..guilty.. I bought a pair in p urple to wear to pools and the beach and yellow to wear around the garden.. I wear them with socks... They really are comfortable...of course they are a "fad".. the inexpensive ones..but they are a hoot for this white head..lol
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:13 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer
Hey Desdemona01

Do you have the Jibbitz for crocs? I'm a fellow croc lover and they are little decorations for your crocs. You push them through the holes.

Jane
No I don't have those yet, but I've seen them! They don't rub your foot on the inside or anything? I could really get out of control with all of this
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Xmas Tree shops here in N.E. had Croc knock-offs for much less than Ocean State...Okay..guilty.. I bought a pair in p urple to wear to pools and the beach and yellow to wear around the garden.. I wear them with socks... They really are comfortable...of course they are a "fad".. the inexpensive ones..but they are a hoot for this white head..lol
It's a shame you bought the illegal knockoffs because the real ones don't cost that much more. With the real ones you get the anti-microbial feature so that they don't get smelly. Plus the real ones conform to your foot as you wear them and just get more comfortable. Hopefully you'll try the *real* ones and see what you're missing!
(Crocs has won patent infringement judgments against the knockoff companies and the knockoffs will start disappearing soon)
Old August 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

No they don't rub on the inside at all. They are flat and fit well inside the shoe. You can look at some of the styles on e-bay, just search under Jibbitz. They are alot of fun, I have dogs, cats, and ladybugs, and want some more.

Jane
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Admiral

It seems all of you love your Crocs, and I don't dispute that they are very comfortable, but I'm sorry, I think they are the ugliest things ever! I wouldn't buy a pair even in purple, my favourite colour!
I also have a narrow foot, high instep, and must wear orthotics, so a flat shoe like Crocs are out of the question. They do sound practical for cruising and beach days though...

donna
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM
First Mate

rollerdonna, the insides of the crocs are not flat--far from it. they have the best support of any shoe I've worn. My husband said they have better support than his orthotics. Since you think they're so ugly it's a good thing you don't plan to try them. Otherwise you'd be hooked wearing shoes that you clearly dislike

I personally think they are so much LESS ugly that the majority of feet I see sticking out of sandals--men and women.
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Has anyone seen the Islander Crocs??? They have leather uppers with ties......a actual shoe?? Said they come in muted colors....some pastels for the ladies it says.....May have to look into those.....looks like they would be great for work........

Sharon