Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Bare Essentials?

Anbody out there wear, Bare Essentials, or is it Bare Minerals, make up?
I heard it in passing the other day, and was wondering about it..Is there a foundation to this group,or is something else an alternative? Epxerts, we need to know all about it!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

OMG, this is the best stuff ever made!!! I became a convert last summer, and it withstood humidity in Texas and Hawaii, so I'd vote it a winner. Your "face" won't slide off in high humidity like it can with liquid foundation.

They have several shades of "foundation", but it's all powder that you swirl on with a brush. The nice thing is that you can add more bit by bit until yoiu get the look you want, without it being caked on. You can also get eye shadows and blushes, but I just use my regular ones, and only use the foundation and finishing veil, which sets everything and gives you a nice polished look.

It truly cuts your make-up time in half!

Becky

French Polynesia on Renaissance, August 2000
Alaska on RCI, August 2001
Hawaii on Norwegian, July 2003
Caribbean on Holland America, November 2003
Mexico on Norwegian, January 2005
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Passenger

The products are crushed minerals. Before finding BE I felt smothered in whatever foundation I wore. BE is very light, can't tell you have it on but gives very good coverage. I order mine from QVC.

Old May 29th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Captain

I just received a sample pack yesterday and have been playing with them. So far, I can't find the great look that everyone is raving about. Maybe it's just my skin, but so far I'm not impressed. It looks like flaky, powder so far. I'm going to work on it more today and try it using a lot of moisturizer first. Someone on one of the other boards says that's the secret.
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I just received a sample pack yesterday and have been playing with them. So far, I can't find the great look that everyone is raving about. Maybe it's just my skin, but so far I'm not impressed. It looks like flaky, powder so far. I'm going to work on it more today and try it using a lot of moisturizer first. Someone on one of the other boards says that's the secret.
Magnolia, what kind of brush are us using? I've found that you have to experiment with them to get the right look. Also, with BE, less is DEFINATELY more. If you have too much on your brush, it WILL look powdery.

Using moisturizer first helps, but you have to give it about five minutes to get into your skin first, or it will be too moist and the BE will get cakey looking.

Becky...still experimenting...

Old May 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Captain

I'm using the kabuki brush (is that right? suzuki, kamakaze, sushi?) anyway . . . I do understand that you're only supposed to use a tiny bit but tiny bits don't seem to have much effect. Oh well, back to the mirror.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Admiral

I love my bare minerals! My skin stays much clearer then when I used to use liquid foundation. They sell silicone based makeup primers, this stuff used before the bare minerals helps to make everything go on smooth and even. Use a large powder brush and make sure to tap off the excess powder. You can use a small brush to cover imperfections first. Some of the stores that sell the product will demonstate the correct way to apply so will the video that comes with the starter kit. Practice makes perfect and less is more. Let your skin shine through! Bonus this stuff has spf of 15 to protect from burning and aging sun rays.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Passenger

I too use Bare Escentuals. I really like it a lot, especially in the summer. I was never big on wearing foundation because I felt like my skin couldn't "breath", but with BE.......I can't even feel it. I have sensitive skin and can be quite acne prone in the warmer more humid months....this product does not cause my skin to break out. I would recommend that you get at least 2 diferent shades of foundation so you can mix and match to get your skin tone.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to say, while it sounds good, it also sounds difficult to master...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 30th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I have to say, while it sounds good, it also sounds difficult to master...
It's really not that hard! And it's worth the trouble to learn how, because your skin looks amazing! I had a lady tell me that she thought I was 40 (I'm almost 55!!!) because my skin looked so good.

Becky

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Passenger

I too have been using BM for years. I have huge pores, so I have found putting on a thin layer of tinted moisturizer first and then my BM, it covers up everything!! It is also the best stuff for covering up blemishes with the small brush that came with it. My husband and son use it for their blemishes too!! Just make sure you use it all the way up to your hairline. I made that mistake in the Carribean sun once and had a 1 inch sunburn on my forehead.
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Beginner

I bought a similar product that came out early spring by Neutrogena - It's called Mineral Sheers. I expect it works quite similar, and runs about $10 a pop. I bought it instead of a "bronzer" product, and I like it a lot. It is quite a bit lighter than foundation, which seems too heavy to use when it's hot out.
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to live2cruise
Default Love them

I've only been using them for the last few months, but I notice such a difference in my skin now..I do use a moisturizer first, then the foundation, then blush, then the mineral veil. I am 45, and my skin was really starting to show my age, now I only have minor fine lines...I can live with that!
HAL Zuiderdam - Eastern Carri - 9/03
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM
First Mate

add me to the BE fan club! I've been using it for 2 years and love it. I could never stand to wear foundation before and I had several bottles of partially used brands to prove it. BE has made such a difference. And after the first few days, application is a breeze. If I'm in a hurry I just brush on Clear Radiance and Mineral veil and I'm out the door! I've been ordering mine from Sephora when I haven't been able to get to a store that carries it (there aren't any in my immediate area).