Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Cruise Spas

One of the nice things about cruising is the pampering we do, for ourselves.

For the unpampered like myself..as far as massages go, if one wanted to treat themselves, what treatments do you suggest..Is the stone massage worth the money?

I once had a facial, and was not that thrilled....and to top it off, you have to practically get irate sometimes, with the used car salesman pitch they give you, to buy all there high priced cremes, to just let them know, NO!!!

If you were to just suggest one"fashionable, and stylish" temptation, what would it be?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise Spas

I dislike massages, but with regard to facials, which I love, I've noticed on the last couple of cruises that there was no hard-sell. Nobody "demanded" that I buy anything. Maybe enough people complained.

Judy
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Admiral

On the Princess Star last year i had the Seaweed Wrap and while it was relaxing I would not do it again but rather a massage. I've always been curious about the Hot Stone so maybe that one.

Then in Oct on the Princess Sun I was having problems with my ankles so I had the Ankle/Foot massage and really enjoyed that. It did help some with the swelling.

On the Star they really did push the products but not on the Sun.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Admiral

We always try something is the Spa...it can be great fun.

I think the pushing depends more on the ship rather than the cruise line.

When we were on the Celebrity Mercury...had a great time, wonderful
massage with the Hot Stones. GREAT!!! No hard sell on products, but on the the Infinity we had a hard sell...

Same with RCCI...on the Radiance...no hard sell....but on Monarch of the Seas....VERY hard sell on products.

HAL's the Oosterdam, beautiful beautiful Spa...My husband had the Hot Stones...loved it. I had a great massage...again, no hard sell.

BUT on every ship...we were offered or shown spa products.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Admiral

there are so many to choose from it can be daunting!
If you over-exterted and have muscle aches try a deep tissue (it hurts at first)
A basic relaxing massage is sooo nice! just don't plan on doing anything for the rest of the day
DH had the hot stone massage and said that it felt wonderful
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Captain

I used to always get a massage on the first day of the cruise but over the last few years prices have really escalated and they began pushing products as well. I found that the sales pitch at the end undid the relaxation of the massage. On my last Alaskan cruise I did break down and bet a massage because I was so knotted up from the long flight. I had already heard from a few other passengers that this ship was really pushing the product line hard, so before we began I nicely told the young lady that I had no intention of purchasing any products and if she even mentioned it to me at the end of the massage there would be no tip. It worked.

I have found spots in most of the caribbean ports of call we frequent where I can get a massage locally at one third to one half of what they charge on board. And what's nicer than a massage on the beach, beneath the palm trees with the sound of the surf?
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Beginner

Having body massage is really relaxing. Just like you guys, I would really enjoy having a full body massage on my first day on board. It really feels good and really enjoy the trip!
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Magnolia Blossom, that was so helpful .... I've been trying to find out a little about the Spa's; but have had no luck. These tips are wonderful & I will watch out for the hard sell, I had no idea that this occurred. Now I know what to say!

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Full body massage on the Disney island was the closest I have ever been to heaven on earth. Followed up, of course, with a Pina Colada in a lounge chair, in the water, at their adult beach - peace, quiet and relaxation. The girls did try to push their products, but I told them to call my cabin and speak to my husband about the prices - they never called.