CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Such a Deal! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/317893-such-deal.html)

Trip July 26th, 2006 09:00 PM

Such a Deal!

Are you like me, whenever you enter a store,shopping for whatever, and you see something [ hopefully it's on sale!] you say to yourself, hmmm, this would be good on my cruise...? off season evening wear, shoes, marked down tuxs, just buying something for the ship makes me feel good:)

I guess subconsiously, I always have that next cruise on the back of my mind, and I say, if you snooze you lose! You too?

Desdemona01 July 26th, 2006 11:16 PM

I am completely guilty of this! I've amassed enough stuff to cover a world cruise (except for the $$ for the fare, of course LOL ).

CruisinK n J July 28th, 2006 11:16 PM

Such a Deal!

I subconsciously look for cruise clothes all the time. LAST November when the holiday stuff started to show up, I saw a wonderful evening top, but I didn't buy it. :cry:

Judy

colorcrazie July 29th, 2006 02:51 PM

Wow, Judy. I'm impressed. More sense than I have, that's for sure.
I realized I had a "problem" when packing for a 2 1/2 week cruise a few years back and had too many "just for cruising"clothes.
Marty

Fieldmouse July 29th, 2006 03:02 PM

I've very guilty of that. My DH and I are always looking for good cruise clothes.

Cruise clothes that are easy to pack and wrinkle resistent. We've found some wonderful deals at second hand stores. The up-scale ones...like the American Cancer Society. Ours has some really really GREAT travel wear! (why? Don't know...just it's location I guess)

Now, I have had this happen to me...I've bought something that I thought would travel well, and would look good too...only to be disappointed! I bought a blouse from a well known mail order travel store...It was suppose to be wrinkle resistent...when I opened up the package...it was wrinkled...That should have been a red light. I didn't take the warning...and had to return the blouse after 'cruise failure' LOL

Fruitcake July 31st, 2006 04:54 PM

I buy a lot of summer clearance stuff in August ... then put it aside until my fall cruise [I usually go in Nov. or Dec.]
When I get back I put away the "new" cruise clothes until the next spring/summer!

CruisinK n J July 31st, 2006 10:47 PM

Such a Deal

Fieldmouse, was the fabric by any chance Tencel? That's been highly touted as a "good travel fabric" resistant to wrinkles. NOT! I have several pieces, and they all need ironing even after just hanging in the closet. Feels nice next to your skin, though.

Judy

LS80 August 4th, 2006 06:52 PM

Me.....well if I see a dress that's a good price & I like......I wonder....can I justify buying it???? Nope......so I book another cruise & then I can buy it....I need something to wear.....right?!?!?!?!?! Works for me.......but I have found some great bargins!!!!!

Sharon

Brenda in Canada September 19th, 2006 05:55 PM

Guilty as charged, Trip!
Sorry I am so late responding to this thread though.
I have a bunch of nice tops/shorts JUST for the cruise. After the cruise I will be able to wear them as needed. Must keep them pristine before then.
My question is: should I wash them and risk getting them not as nice/unwrinkled???
I do iron virtually everything before I pack my suitcase.
Bye for now. Brenda

Mike M September 19th, 2006 09:19 PM

I think all of us "In the Land of the Hopefully Addicted" fall into this when we see something in a store.

These days, all of my "dress" clothes are used mostly for cruise or special nights out so I go for function. That's why I've gone for suits over tuxedos since I've lost weight.

On other parts of my wardrobe I purchase things that I can wear for things other than cruising. I vowed to never have the Costanza Cruise Collection (From the Seinfeld show) where certain clothes are kept in the attic and only used for cruising. LOL

One nice thing about a new cruise is that it gives you a good reason to buy some new clothes. :wink:

Take care,
Mike

frogfuzz September 20th, 2006 04:55 AM

:oops: Very Guilty...
Couldn't help it, been a tough summer and good sales at Dillards.

I bought several items for a Feb '07 cruise and they are neatly tucked away ready to be packed.

And come on you find a formal for $12.00 that had been $110.00.

fleaberry September 25th, 2006 10:51 AM

So Sad!

I thought I was the only one that said "that would be great for the cruise!!" Not only do I say it, but my girls (8yr and 12yrs) have been known to say " mom, that would be good for your cruise!"

Also, after the holidays there are great sales on formal wear that is not too heavy for cruising. I get a lot of wraps, purses, dressy shoes etc. Usually 50-75% off!!

Brenda in Canada September 27th, 2006 02:29 PM

Doug-LOL LOL LOL Just saw that Seinfeld recently on the repeat channel. Hey, I am just saving my clothes for the cruise first...and then I can wear them after the cruise! LOL
Brenda

fleaberry October 11th, 2006 09:22 PM

Me too!

Not only do I look for cruise clothes, shoes etc, but my newest bargain hunt is for cute cruise luggage!!!!!! I am a sick woman but I know you can all relate to a cute carryon with palm trees all over it! (oh, since I am confessing, I have a weakness for makeup bags and last year I even got my sister an adorable pink leather pill case for her medications!)

Trip October 11th, 2006 11:49 PM

Flea, check out the post we have here by me about the cosmetic bag, with the ship scene on it.....many of us got on one Ebay..

fleaberry October 12th, 2006 06:19 PM

thanks trip.

Uh-Oh.....! :roll:

CruisinK n J October 16th, 2006 09:35 PM

Such a Deal

Trip, MY sad story: I received that white lace top that I ordered from NM on sale. Way too small. :( :( The matching camisole is on back order . . . indefinitely! When it comes, it'll be too small as well.

Judy