Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Default BLACK, BLACK, BLACK

Just realized all my dress cruise clothes are black.. blank pants, black skirt and all sorts of black tops, from sequenned to lacy knit..Talk about tired of black.. I think with one pair of black palazzo pants I must have or six options for wearing tops... Enough is Enough....loll Does anybody else feel the same way???
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom,

Just realized all my dress cruise clothes are black.. blank pants, black skirt and all sorts of black tops, from sequenned to lacy knit..Talk about tired of black.. I think with one pair of black palazzo pants I must have or six options for wearing tops... Enough is Enough....loll Does anybody else feel the same way???

I have a white dnner jacket with the proper black formal trowsers. Every so often, though, I get tempted to have a tailor make me a suit in the tuxedo style of mint green fabric with spruce satin inserts in the side seams of the legs and spruce satin lapels....

Or perhaps a sky blue suit with royal blue trim....

Anyway, I would think that you ladies would prefer whites or pastels, perhaps with some dark accents, for wear in the warmer climes where cruise ships spend most of their time.

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Admiral

I stopped wearing solid black many years ago. I don't want to feel like I'm going to a funeral. I'm celebrating. Liven up those black pants with bright colored tops. Red blue green.. sparkly things..

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Admiral

I'm too short..need one color.. do have a lovely purple outfit, but it's more a mother of the bride dress and an all white palazzo pants and white and gold squenned top..
then again, black is a great foil for my parrot necklace on plain tops or my various sets of pearls...(my birthstone).. Norm will be happy to know that on our Majesty cruise to Bermuda next month I'm just taking one pair of dressy black pants and three tops and one pair of shoes.. BTW before the last ten years of crusing NEVER wore black..
Old August 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Admiral

first off, i don't look good in all black. My basic black is navy blue. I love color, i will pair up my navy dinner suit with a vivid fushia, red or turquoise blouse. My dresses are all vivid colors.
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: BLACK, BLACK, BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Not yet...but I do take lot's of colored tops and accents. I avoid white...because it's a little harsh with my skin tone...
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Admiral

FIELDMOUSE discovered long ago that there is white and there is white...all shades of white.. I had a white dress that I loved, but when I wore it I felt yecch... I just off set with perhaps scarves and accessories..with the black especially.
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

White is very difficult - I remember my sister and BIL taking me shopping for a formal gown about 40 years ago - I tried on a lovely white one. BIL took one look and said "don't even get MARRIED in white - you look awful!" Well, a few years later, I opted for ivory at my wedding. Yes, he's still my BIL and I still love him.

I'm a big fan of the black palazzo pants that roll up and pack down to nothing with assorted colored tops.
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Admiral

ParrotMom, you have a problem with black. I have a problem with PURPLE! Just about everyhting I own is purple, so of course, my cruising clothes include alot of purple too. I do try to buy other colours occasionally (pink and turquoise are my 2nd and 3rd runner up colours) but somehow I always end up going back to purple!
So, if you see someone on formal night in a purple dress, - it's prpbably me!!

donna
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Okay RollerDonna.. I have right now purple polish on my toe and regular nails and purple sun glasses and purple framed regular glasses..and I do have a purple cocktail dress too. It's my very favorite color.. It;s just harder for me to buy something in formal cruise wear..and that dress is much too dressy...mother of the bride type..It gets to be that when I see something in purple I race right over to it...like I did last week with a skirt and top outfit for my upcomng cruise..
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Default Black, Black, Black

My dressy clothes for a cruise is black-based: dressy pants and shoes. Actually, the pants are part of a four-piece outfit that travels like a dream. I plan to look for colorful evening tops for the December cruise, tho'.

Judy
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Tika
Default Cruise black outfits etc.

I am going on our tenth + cruise and have come to the conclusion that Black does it all. I have collected over the years many of Chicos Travelers sets. Travelers packs so wonderful and you can wash and dry almost overnight. I have many different tops in assorted colors and I had the bling for formal nights. Daytime and excursion wear are my hang up. I always pack too many shorts, slacks bathing suits etc. Not to mention weeding out my shoe pile to only a minium. I at least have one part figured out.............thanks to Chicos............:>)!
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Black makes me look like a ghost plus I feel like Im going to a funeral, I pair it with bright colored tops or at least warm it up with gold or silver jewelry. I have a thing about earth tones however and have lots of beige, tan and brown, but I adore color and lots of it!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Passenger

Default black bummer

I always bring one black dress outfit....BUT I always have a colorful wrap to get out of the rut. Also nice jewelry also helps...nothing like a little sparkle even if it is costume to brighten the black up!
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Passenger

I Love Black. Its so easy to dress up. You can put a cute jacket over a black shirt and make a whole new outfit. Try dressing it up with jewlry. You can also add a pop of color with headbands, scarfs, head scarfs, costume jewlry, silver, belts...etc... I Love Black because you can take one piece of clothing and create so many different outfits by adding small touches of inexpensive items..
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Admiral

I also have many black dresses. Now I have many red dresses too. I am taking some of each.

Formal nights will be long black dress(the backless one) and the other formal night the red dress. That one is short.

I have jewelry to change the look of all my little black dresses. That really helps

Darlene
Destiny-4/9/2000-E. Caribbean
Valor-5/11/2008
Liberty-5/1/2010
Pride 4/21/2013
Pride 9/8/2013
Imagination 11/11/2013
Pride 12/8/2013

LOVE TO CRUISE
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruise black outfits etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tika
I am going on our tenth + cruise and have come to the conclusion that Black does it all. I have collected over the years many of Chicos Travelers sets. Travelers packs so wonderful and you can wash and dry almost overnight. I have many different tops in assorted colors and I had the bling for formal nights. Daytime and excursion wear are my hang up. I always pack too many shorts, slacks bathing suits etc. Not to mention weeding out my shoe pile to only a minium. I at least have one part figured out.............thanks to Chicos............:>)!
I pray to the Chico Gods all the time. Agree that Traveler sets are the best. They travel all over the world w/me for both business and pleasure. Next to the Travelers are all the great bright knit tops that go with black.
I was just looking at some cruise pics and realized that I bring the same clothes on every cruise. They're comfortable, but I need some new material for the next one. The Traveler pants stay, but new tops in some real bright colors are in order!
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Passenger

I currently love the all black outfit with a chunky turquoise long necklace and bracelt and earrings (not the southwest type)
I think the color really stands out with the black.

I think just perk up the black with color jewelery and stuff like previously mentioned. as long as your happy wear what you like
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Now that I design my own jewlery, I can really perk up a simple outfit with a fabulous necklace and bracelet..I am really into clear lucite now, so, that can be worn with many outfits..saves on packing alot

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator