Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk
Default Define resort casual

This is always a controversial topic, this is the suggested attire for ncl cruises but what can I get away with a pole shirt and 3/4 shorts?
Navigator 2005 7 night Eastern Caribbean
Brilliance 2006 12 night Med and Venice
Serenade 2007 7 night Alaska
Concordia 2007 6 night Med
Summit 2008 12 night Eastbound Transatlantic
Victoria Star 2008 4 night Yichang to Chongqing
Galaxy 2008 10 night Med and Greek Isles
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Admiral

jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk,

This is always a controversial topic, this is the suggested attire for ncl cruises but what can I get away with a pole shirt and 3/4 shorts?

A polo shirt and dress shorts (the kind with pockets that you wear with a belt) should be fine during the day. Most cruise lines explicitly state "no shorts" in the evening dress code.

Norm.
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Captain

thanks for your help rev, it just puzzles me about ncls resort casual policy, and then they say you can wear what you want when you want, still seems pretty formal I think
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I am guessing that you are a man? -for nightime wear you would be just fine wearing a polo shirt and a nice pair of cotton or linen trousers, casual shoes, leather sandals or loafers. Hawaiian print shirts are also acceptable and very popular. Short-sleeve button down shirts also work very well.
Old August 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Captain

thanks for your helps, does it matter what the material is of the trousers, ps are you alowwed jeans
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Define resort casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk
big goof-double post. I tried to edit my post and instead quoted myself.
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Define resort casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk
Well I would not know but I am sure NCL"s site woyuld give you a definiton.

If you go to Royal Caribbean's site and go to Princess's site you will find 2 defintions for "smart casual". Read BOTH defintions. Each line has it's own defintion of what that is..

so I SUGGEST you dress whatever "smart causal" (or in your case resort causal) means to the line you are crusing.
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Admiral

momofmeg

[/i]big goof-double post. I tried to edit my post and instead quoted myself.[/i]

To edit a post, view the thread normally and click the "Edit" button at the right end of the orange bar directly above the post that you wish to edit.

To delete a post, view the thread normally and click the "X" button at the right end of the orange bar directly above teh post that you wish to delete.

Note: These buttons exist only on your posts, and only if you are logged into the site.

Norm.
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Admiral

jamandamn14@yahoo.co.uk,

thanks for your helps, does it matter what the material is of the trousers, ps are you alowwed jeans

Most cruise lines explicitly forbid bluejeans for eveningwear. Any opaque material other than the standard blue denim is generally okay.

Norm.
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Admiral

jeans are not resort casual - a nice pair of khakis, cotton pants in any color or linen trousers.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Captain

I personally think some nice jeans should be allowed in the main dining room.
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Admiral

From the brochures:

Carnival: "Shorts and t-shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner, but are acceptable in the seaview bestro."

Princess: "In the dining room, items such as cutoff t-shirts, halter tops and torn jeans are not permitted and shoes must be worn at all times."

RCI doesn't tell you what not to wear, only what you should wear. Jeans and shorts are not mentioned.

My point is that jeans and shorts are actually not "forbidden" on most cruiselines. As you can see from the 3 above, shorts are only mentioned once, ironically enough, by Carnival, the most casual of all the lines. Of course, I have seen different wording on the websites and actually posted on the ship.

I don't think jeans or shorts are appropriate for the dining room, myself. Think of what you would wear to a really, really nice restaurant at home and dress accordingly.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Dorothy,

I don't think jeans or shorts are appropriate for the dining room, myself. Think of what you would wear to a really, really nice restaurant at home and dress accordingly.

Unfortunately, there are more than a few morons in this world who think that jeans, shorts, "T" shirts, and either flip-flops or ratty sneakers are quite acceptable at a nice restaurant....

*Sigh*

Norm.
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Admiral

You're right, Norm. It's why I wish the cruiselines would be a little clearer...and enforce their own rules.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Dorothy,

Unfortunately, there are more than a few morons in this world who think that jeans, shorts, "T" shirts, and either flip-flops or ratty sneakers are quite acceptable at a nice restaurant....

*Sigh*

Norm.
Hey Norm, why don't you come to London, I'll take you to some fine restaurants and you can poke fun at all the "morons" wearing jeans and trainers. You might even get lucky enough to be thrown out after insulting most of the patrons of the restaurants.

I must say some just hate jeans and the people wearing them. You do realise that some people go to restaurants to eat, and not to judge people whom they do not know and comment on their attire.

Do you do this at home? if so, conversation at your table must be so entertaining.

Cheers,
Peter
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy

dorothy
Perhaps you should visit Bermuda and tell all the Bermudians that they are dressed inappropriately in their shorts at their restaurants.

Or is it just on a cruise they are inappropriate?

I know when we were on holiday in Florida, Arizona, Nevada and the Caribbean there seemed to be lots of people wearing both in the places we went to.

Cheers,
Peter
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Admiral

oh lordy here we go again!! Missing the point here. Its not about what you think is appropriate, what your personal likes and dislikes are, its about a stated dress code policy, and jeans are not considered to be Resort Casual wear.
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Amen, LisaK!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Peter,

Hey Norm, why don't you come to London, I'll take you to some fine restaurants and you can poke fun at all the "morons" wearing jeans and trainers. You might even get lucky enough to be thrown out after insulting most of the patrons of the restaurants

I have been to London. In fact, it's one of my favorite cities!

And, FWIW, I would not say anything to patrons wearing jeans in a restaurant. Nonetheless, any restaurant that admits patrons wearing jeans is not within the scope of the "nice" restaurants to which we were referring.

Perhaps you should visit Bermuda and tell all the Bermudians that they are dressed inappropriately in their shorts at their restaurants.

There's a very big difference between the very proper Bermudan business suit with shorts, worn with knee stockings, and the normal shorts that one might wear during the daytime on cruises to warm climates.

BTW, most cruise lines have no problem admitting the Bermudan dinner jacket outfit, which includes formal shorts with the same silk side stripes as normal formal trousers, on formal evenings. This is, of course, a legitimate "black tie" formal outfit, as is the Scot's dinner jacket worn with his kilt.

Norm.

Norm.
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Passenger

Look in our society today the generations are changing and on the norm most of them our into wearing jeans i dont mean ratty holey ones i mean nice dress ones and they do make casual style jeans. So you no what ever you feel comfortable in wearing do so. Its your life and if it makes you happy to wear jeans they by all means wear them. You can wear jeans and a nice polo shirt and still look good.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Admiral

cruisingfrompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Look in our society today the generations are changing and on the norm most of them our into wearing jeans i dont mean ratty holey ones i mean nice dress ones and they do make casual style jeans. So you no what ever you feel comfortable in wearing do so. Its your life and if it makes you happy to wear jeans they by all means wear them. You can wear jeans and a nice polo shirt and still look good.
Of course, "look[ing] good" is not the issue. Rather, the issue is the following prescribed standard of dress for a particular occasion. If the cruise line's dress policy says something like

"Jeans are not allowed in the dining room at any time."

as many do, that should be the end of the subject.

There are cruise lines that permit jeans and cruise lines that do not. Folks who want to wear jeans on a cruise should choose a cruise line that permits jeans.

Norm.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Passenger

I am going on Carnival Miracle August 7th thru 15th with family and friends and our friends want to get my husband a tshirt to wear on the cruise that says even rednecks can cruise sorry if it isnt proper attire . No in all seriousness on formal night we will dress up but on other nights it will be jeans and a shirt for our dinna attire.
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Admiral

cruisingfrompa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am going on Carnival Miracle August 7th thru 15th with family and friends and our friends want to get my husband a tshirt to wear on the cruise that says even rednecks can cruise sorry if it isnt proper attire . No in all seriousness on formal night we will dress up but on other nights it will be jeans and a shirt for our dinna attire.
Carnival is one of the less dressy lines, admitting even a sport coat and tie for gentlemen on the supposedly "formal" evenings, so I could be wrong about this. Nonetheless, my understanding is that shirts with collars and slacks or khakis rather than jeans are the expected on the "casual" evenings even on Carnival.

Norm.
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Admiral

You will see jeans at dinner on Carnival. They won't be on my behind, but that's because they are too hot and too bulky to pack. You might want to consider something else, just for comfort's sake.
Marty