Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:12 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska Wear (back on topic)

I read other original topic, but it didnt explain what months and how the temps were

Hubs really wants to do Alaska inside, I'm a plop in the sun vacation kinda girl, but Alaskan cruise fine. We are looking at next Aug/Sept time frame. what will the temps be like?

Any need for my Cuddleduds? I was thinking a trench with removeable liner.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can expect nice cool weather, may even see 70, you just never know. I'd also pack some kind of rain gear, most likely, you'll see some along the way. It will be colder if you take any glacier excursions, so pack for that, gloves, hat, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Captain

If you look in the back of your cruise brochure, it lists the high/low temps by month. Of course the highest temps are in late June - early July. Just remember that in Alaska the temperature can change dramatically within minutes.
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Admiral

frogfuzz,

Hubs really wants to do Alaska inside, I'm a plop in the sun vacation kinda girl, but Alaskan cruise fine. We are looking at next Aug/Sept time frame. what will the temps be like?

Alaska is a fantastic cruise destination, with more things to do and choices of shore excursions than any other -- including the Caribbean. If you are booking your first trip to The Great Land, I highly recommend a gulf cruise Northbound, from Vancouver to either Seward or Whittier, with a stay in Anchorage for a few days after the cruise if you opt out of a land tour. If you rent a car (this is the good ol' U. S. of A...), you can take day trips out of Anchorage to get a taste of the interior. Talkeetna offers spectacular views of Mt. McKinley, which is the tallest mountain in the world even though it is not the highest, but check the weather to be sure that you have a clear day. There's always a lot happening right in Anchorage, too, especially on weekends in the summertime when there tend to be street festivals there's a greet outdoor market. The downtown area is quite safe, and it has a LOT of very good restaurants and shops that carry products that you won't find in other places. Wherever you find a railroad in Alaska, be sure to ride it because the scenery from both of Alaska's railroads (the Alaska Railroard from Seward to Fairbanks and the White Pass & Yukon Route from Seward to Carcross, Yukon Territory) is absolutely spectacular! The Alaska Railroad also operates rail transfers between Anchorage International Airport (there's a railroad station connected to the main passenger terminal) and the ports of Seward and Whittier for the major cruise lines.

High temperatures in the 60's are pretty normal in most of the inside passage, so bring some sweaters or sweatshirts. Also, much of the region is a temperate rain forest, so bring a waterproof jacket and an umbrella. Skagway tends to be a bit warmer and is more likely to be sunny.

Glacier areas tend to be cold -- air temperatures in the upper 30's or lower 40's -- because the bays with glaciers are full of ice water due to the calving of the glaciers. In those areas, you'll most assuredly want a warm jacket, hat, and gloves.

Around Anchorage, daytime temperatures tend to be in the 70's or lower 80's and evening temperatures tend to be in the 60's.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.