Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A Different Spin

I know the dress code topic has been done to death, disected, flamed, ripped apart, and more....BUT....Here is the different spin...

Would you be happy if ALL the major lines said...Ok, EVERY night is casual! Would you actually miss the formal nights, to the degree you define formal in your life?

OR...

Would you be thrilled to death, not having to shlep any dress clothes?

AND

If the cruise lines said, "okay, we have decided this is what the public wants, but NO JEANS PLEASE." Could it work?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM
First Mate

Default A Different Spin

When I was working in "corporate", many years ago, every function we attended was in formal attire. We also wore suit and tie at work. I couldn't wait to get home a change into "comfortable"clothes.

When you talk cruising, I like the two or three formal evenings, the chance to dress up and dine, etc. But, if the cruise lines said - ALL casual, I would be OK with it, but would probably miss a night or two of formal attire.

crabbie1
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Captain

I would not mind casual every night so long as it didn't wind up looking like I at mcDonald's. However - therein lies the rub - the cruise lines can't seem to manage their formal dress code, what makes us think they could manage a no jeans, shorts, tee shirt code? Hmmm?

I think what makes the most sense is the policy NCL uses on formal nights. They have 2 dining rooms, 1 is designated formal, the other resort casual like every other night. They do enforce that since we decided not to dress up one evening but wound up at the worng dining room. They politely referred us to the other location. Very polite and shazam! it made sense.
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I greatly enjoyed my last two NCL cruises where I never had to wear a tuxedo or dark suit. I still brought a sport coat and slacks for the Le Bistro and Cagney's.

It cuts down on the packing, is more comfortable and for the group I was with it was a more comfortable experience for them. It was also nice to see that NCL enforced their "No Jeans" policy.

I would rather have a good conversation and a good meal rather than worry about the type of lapel, tie, shirt or cummerbund. I do like to dress up but the tuxedo is becoming less appealing for me. A well tailored suit is more appealing for me and the woman I truly want to impress. It also has far more flexibility for the real world.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would miss having a "formal" night. Its nice to have a special night, get dressed up, have some photos taken, etc. I think it adds to the whole cruise expierence and would miss it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Trip,

Would you be happy if ALL the major lines said...Ok, EVERY night is casual! Would you actually miss the formal nights, to the degree you define formal in your life?

OR...

Would you be thrilled to death, not having to shlep any dress clothes?

I would miss the "formal" evenings, but I also could live with the decision.

That said, I think that there's enough demand for both to support some lines going each way. If I ran a cruise company, I would split the fleet into three lines.

>> One line would offer a "traditional" cruise product with both "formal" and "semiformal" evenings amounting to about half of the evenings on each cruise,

>> One line would offer what's now a normal cruise product with two or three "formal" evenings, depending upon the length of the cruise, and the rest of the evenings being "casual," and

>> One cruise line would offer an "all casual" cruise product.

Each passeenger could then choose his or her preference of style.

If the cruise lines said, "okay, we have decided this is what the public wants, but NO JEANS PLEASE." Could it work?

Sure, so long as there's enforcement to back up the "NO JEANS PLEASE" because somebody is sure to try to get away with wearing jeans....

Norm.
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
First Mate

we both love the formal nights and just wish they were more enforced by cruise lines. As elegant as the HAL ships are, dressing formally fits right in (and, no, we're not senior citizens, as is the stereotype)
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Admiral

i would miss having a formal night on my cruise. That's just one of the many things that sets a cruise vacation apart from the others.

"No Jeans Please" would only work if the cruise line stood behind the Maitre D and his staff and let them enforce the dress code. (hmmm sounds familar doesn't it?)
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Yeoman

I don't care ... either way is fine with me.
I'd still cruise, no matter what.
Old September 24th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Captain

Cruising is my make believe fairy tale life. I would miss the dress up and the special atmosphere that is a part of the whole evening. I also love to watch someones eyes light up when you tell them how nice they look. (I've found that you can always find something to compliment (I never would lie)) Some women have spent a small fortune to stand out this special evening and we should all be made to feel special. At least till the clock strikes 12 and it is time for to disembark and end my fairy tale world till the next time.
ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with you Susan! I love to get all dressed-up!- its the girly-girly in me! My every day is very casual, work and home life. The only time i get to get all dressed to the nines is on a cruise.
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
we both love the formal nights and just wish they were more enforced by cruise lines. As elegant as the HAL ships are, dressing formally fits right in (and, no, we're not senior citizens, as is the stereotype)
I totally agree with Desdemona. We begin to look forward to formal nights as soon as we book a cruise. My DW loves to shop for her formal clothes and we both really enjoy getting dressed to the nines for a night out. Its a nice diversion from the drabby scrubs we both wear at work everyday. We feel great when dressed in formals. We have actually dressed formal just for a night out on the town. You really should try it sometime.

I do wish they were enforced more and I totally agree with the comment on HAL. We love HAL, but even they are getting a little lax on the formal nights. If formal nights went away, we would miss them tremendously. Its something we so look forward to. We're booked on an NCL cruise next. I'll be bringing the Tux, but I suspect I'll be a minority.

Tim

PS, we're not senior citizens either. We're both 43 years young.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

I am a newbie cruiser,but I have made up my mind on the subject.
I dress to make my wife happy on formal nights.She likes to see me in a nice suit or Tux.Doesn't see me dressed to the nines that often.
I do wish the cruise lines would enforce the dress code or just do away with it.Personally I can live with or without formal nights.