Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default A Warrant is Out, Fashion Code Violation!

When I was a kid, my Mother would ONLY wear gold jewelry on brown, and silver jewelry on black...That's what they did back then, in Boston.

Wearing white, or open toed shoes after Labor Day, would mean a call to the local fashion police.

Thankfully, these rules have gone by the wayside, for the most part. Did you go by the book years back, or were you a fashion rebel?

Today, do you still have that whisper in your ear....now, dear, it's the middle of Sept..put those open toe white slinsgbacks away for next year.

Guys, what fashion laws did you have,and break?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Admiral

white shoes before Memorial Day and after Labor Day??? stop the madness! what horrors, this is unthinkable.
I would have to say that my rebel clothes would have to have been , are you ready for this one? red patent leather mini-skirt, matching fringe vest, and white go-go boots! that looked faded quickly, thank goodness and was replaced by bell-bottom jeans, with sewn-on patches(flowers, smiley faces etc)and smocked peasant blouses, can you guess when this was??? showing my age.
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Default A Warrant is out - Fashion Code Violation!

Yes, I had jeans with patches on them, too. And yes, I stopped wearing white shoes after Labor Day!

I just read an essay in the L.A. Times about the Glamour Magazine's "Do's and Don'ts." Remember those? I always thought they were great fun. Anyway, one of the things that the writer said was that we were all fashion don'ts at one time or another. For example, I wore the sack dress (which apparently is resurrected this season along with leggings), and I remember wearing what was called the New Look when I was very young andd much too short to carry off the look.

Judy
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Admiral

I remember the "white after Labor Day rule" from when I was a young girl... I never owned anything white, so it wasn't a problem!

LisaK,

Yes, you're showing your age! The same as mine! I lived in bell bottom jeans, fringed vests and peasant blouses. Long, unruly hair, no makeup? Janis Joplin?

Where have all the flowers gone??? Long time passing?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old September 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Admiral

In Boston , we have a very famous store called Filenes Basement..I worked there, and picked up a pair of white duck bell bottoms, before they really became a trend.

I was always a bit of a daredevil dresser, so when I wore these to go hang at the pizza place, boy did I get looks! Not too long after though, everybody who laughed, was sporting their own bells

In 1968, the bra-less look was just coming around, when I first got married...I again, was the first one, to take the plunge, so to speak One of those things yoy have to do, while young and perky I was both at the time

Old September 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Yeoman

Ah, Filene's Basement ... great memories.

While I was also a flower child -- at least on weekends, when I could leave my school uniform in the closet -- I did follow the "no white shoes after Labor Day and before Memorial Day" edict.

But really, I doubt I wanted to wear white shoes at all in those years!

Trip, did you grow up in Stoughton?

Well, it's mid-September and I've already put away my white shoes -- even though I live in South Florida and some people think it's summer year-round.
I've also packed away many pairs of capris that are in bright summer colors, and equally colorful T-shirts.

Now I've wearing cords and mostly dark-colored pants.
And long-sleeved T's in fall colors.
Yes, it's still in the high 80s ... but it's fall!

If you were to shop down here you'd see a lot of sweaters in the stores, and all fall colors.
The summer stuff is gone!
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Hi Fruitcake,
I grew up in Mattapan,where you could never do anything wrong, because, someone who knew your Mom, woud make a call, and, well, you get the picture

While I have been visiting Florida, since the 80's, I have been confused about the wardrobe thing. Maybe you could answer a few questions for me.

Is it the people who have moved from cold climates that dress warmer in the fall?

Do born and bred Floridians do that too? I was there one January, and saw suede jackets and boots, and it was in the 60's!

If on a February day, if it was 85, would you all NOT wear shorts? Can you tell the snowbirds by the mass showing of knees?

One year, I remember it vividly, it was in the 80's. Florida experienced the kind of winter that made natives crazy, but us watching the newsclips, wanted to grab a valium..The people interviewed,were,complaining about the summer that never ended. I watched with tears in my eyes..wishing No white open toes shoes on a sunny 90 degree December day then huh? sob sob!

Thanks for your imput, as well as from other Floridians This could be a topic by iteself..I wonder what Caribbean people do in the winter.

Old September 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Fruitcake, i am also wondering the same thing as Trip. You are wearing cords and long-sleeved shirts already? Most of us New Englanders don't even go for that look until at least mid-October, right gang?
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

You are wearing cords and long-sleeved shirts already? Most of us New Englanders don't even go for that look until at least mid-October, right gang?

Bah! We real New Englanders don't go for "that look" at all!!! Rather, "that look" is how we recognize transplants!

Hey, some New Engladers wven go outside in a "T" shirt & shorts in February -- Nor'easter not withstanding!

Norm.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
Fruitcake, i am also wondering the same thing as Trip. You are wearing cords and long-sleeved shirts already? Most of us New Englanders don't even go for that look until at least mid-October, right gang?
Yep.
I wore cords yesterday. They were a sort of coral color though ... so I tend to wear them in early fall and in the spring, but not in the dead of winter!

And btw, Rev22 ... I am a "real" New Englander.
My entire family, except for my husband and two daughters, still lives in the greater Boston area. On my Dad's side the family goes back several generations.

And I will tell you my sisters, both of whom have a great sense of style, wear cordoroy pants and long-sleeved shirts.
Check your LL Bean catalog.
Or Talbots. Or Ann Taylor.
Or Lord & Taylor.
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Oh my gosh....such memories!!!!!! But I put away my white shoes a long time ago when I saw photographs of myself and couldn't take my eyes off from my feet. I mean...that's all I saw was these white shoes!

I have an hour-glass figure (that's my story and I'm sticking too it) so I do like the wide leg pants...seems to balance things out.

Right now I wear a lot of retro-clothes. I work them in to my business clothes as often as I can. I think it adds personality to an otherwise basic wardrobe. Besides, some of what I wear is OLDER than the kids I work with...what a trip! (no pun intended toward our fellow cruisemate writer TRIP)
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Admiral

I remember the first time we went to Disneyland in Sept.96 it was a bit cool at night while watching the parade. Well, the employees on the parade route had grey,wool duffle coats on!! That was SO funny!!!! I guess they were freezing!!
Very interesting re:what the natives in hot places wear in winter!
Bye for now. Brenda(who is sure I break some sort of fashion law daily!lol)
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Yeoman

Disneyland in California or Disney World in Florida?

It gets cooler in Orlando than it does where I live [Palm Beach County], but I can't imagine it being THAT cold in O-town in September.

Orlando does get frost.
And we get frost sometimes too -- and we are 2 hours south of O-town.
Our winter temps do get into the 30s.
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM
Admiral

A friend of mine from up north is a Disney World (Orlando) junkie. Comes here multiple times a year. One time, she said that the temperature in Orlando was colder than in Juneau, Alaska!
I live in Tampa area, but lived in Plant City (SW of Orlando) for a time and it got cold enough one year to kill of most of our landscaping. Had 1/2 acre, so it wasn't feasible to protect it all.
What do Floridians wear in winter?....Lots and lots of layers!
Marty the cold weather hater
Old September 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Trip,
Sorry I helped take this off topic. I love the "trip" down memory lane, especially since I don't have to live there anymore!
I had to follow the rules when young. My mother would have had a fit and my grandmother was a true "grande dame". I remember her getting mad at me once because she wanted me to go to a store with her and I did not put on hat and gloves (this was in summer).
I, too, went to school in the sixties, but I was determined to have a career, which meant I needed to stick to old school image. Then, I joined the corporate world, which had really strict rules and did not welcome women, so again had to be "good" in order to survive. So, no braless flowery outfits for me....sigh! I was so jealous of those who could. So, now I'm retired and live in Florida, so I would fit in fine with the old 60's crowd, except for those pesky wrinkles and MUCH wider hips. I truly give new meaning to "hip huggers".
Marty
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Marty,

... and MUCH wider hips. I truly give new meaning to "hip huggers".

C'mon, they can't really be THAT bad! Your description brought to mind an old Mitch Miller song with a verse that starts out, "She's got a pair of hips/ Just like two battleships..."

Actually, I did see one couple aboard MV Royal Princess (the original...) a few years ago that gave new meaning to "ultra-wide." Thuy would use a standard sofa as a "love seat. " At dinner, the staff had to get two chairs for each of them -- one for each cheek.

But thanks for a good laugh!

Norm.
Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Norm,
I probably could use mine as weapons...battering rams. But, no, I'm not yet to the 2 chair level. Give me a few more cruises, though, and I may be!
Marty
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Actually, I did see one couple aboard MV Royal Princess (the original...) a few years ago that gave new meaning to "ultra-wide." Thuy would use a standard sofa as a "love seat. " At dinner, the staff had to get two chairs for each of them -- one for each cheek.
That's unkind.
What happened to "love thy neighbor"?
Perhaps you should have looked for the goodness within them, rather than at their physical presence, which you find so humorous.
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Admiral

fruitcake - your reply was a bit harsh, Norm was being sarcastic, he has a very dry witt.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Yeoman

Harsh?
How is that?

Let me review.
I said, "That's unkind."
Hmmm ... not harsh.

I said, "What happened to 'love thy neighbor'?'
Nothing harsh there ...

And I said, "perhaps you should have looked for the goodness within them, rather than at their physical presence which you find so humorous."
Don't see that as harsh, but as offering an alternative or solution to making fun of someone who is overweight.

On the other hand, Norm wrote: "Actually, I did see one couple aboard MV Royal Princess (the original...) a few years ago that gave new meaning to "ultra-wide." Thuy would use a standard sofa as a "love seat. " At dinner, the staff had to get two chairs for each of them -- one for each cheek. "

Now, where exactly in the dry humor in that? Could you enlighten me?
I see he calls this couple "ultra-wide."
And he says they could use a standard sofa as a love seat.
And he mentions that they each needed two chairs at dinner -- "one for each cheek."

I find that offensive.
I do not see any humor -- dry or wet -- in his post.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
fruitcake - your reply was a bit harsh, Norm was being sarcastic, he has a very dry witt.
I had exactly the same reaction to his *dry wit* that fruitcake did. I found the comment mean and judgmental and in poor taste, considering the obsession with body image in our society today. I don't think making fun of people's appearance is funny or appropriate.

Sarcasm is usually used by people who mean what they say but aren't courageous enough to say it outright.
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Passenger

Default It is a Jungle in the Tundra!

I too grew up near Worcester MA an it was COLD. Little did I know thhat I would fall in love and go further north in the God's country of Maine! Try finding clothes then that fit over the white flesh that suddenly appeared after the holidays!lll Somehow the LLBean Flannel shirts don't really cut it for a bathing suit cover javascript:emoticon('')
Confused Thank god for a good swimsuit and wrap to try not gross anyone out!

Old September 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Admiral

fleaberry that is too funny! a flannel shirt over your swimsuit, who knows you may just have discovered the newest fashion trend!!