Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Minks in Paradise:)

In the fashion warrant post, I posted this in response to Fruitcake's post. I thought it was a good stand alone topic, so I am putting it here as well. figuring, it will get more views, for more imput. To Fruitcake, and other Florida Fashionistas:

While I have been visiting Florida, since the 80's, I have been confused about the wardrobe thing. Maybe you could answer a few questions for me.

Is it the people who have moved from cold climates that dress warmer in the fall?

Do born and bred Floridians do that too? I was there one January, and saw suede jackets and boots, and it was in the 60's!

If on a February day, if it was 85, would you all NOT wear shorts? Can you tell the snowbirds by the mass showing of knees?

One year, I remember it vividly, it was in the 80's. Florida experienced the kind of winter that made natives crazy, but us watching the newsclips, wanted to grab a valium..The people interviewed,were,complaining about the summer that never ended. I watched with tears in my eyes..wishing No white open toes shoes on a sunny 90 degree December day then huh? sob sob!

I do remember reading how in the 50;s in Miami Beach' best nightclubs, mink stoles wereworn, even in the heat of the season! [lordy]

Thanks for your imput, as well as from other Floridians I wonder what Caribbean people do, as well, in the winter.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Default Minks in Paradise

The first time I went to Fort Launderdale, I saw minks all over the place in the airport. I just assumed they all blew in from NYC. This was Dec. 26.

But I've read that the average woman owns SIX furs! Back east and in the midwest, I can well understand that, but in Florida or California?

To add to your questions, can somebody explain "lounging clothes" to me? I just don't get it. The catalogs always show models in what I would call pj's, and they're always posing with a book. Do I hafta wear lounging clothes to read? What's wrong with shorts (speaking of them) or jeans (speaking of them)?

Judy
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:07 AM
First Mate

we were at WDW 3 years ago in December. It was beautiful--mid 70's during the day, a little cooler at night. You could really distinguish between the Floridians and the tourists. Being Midwesterners we wore t's and capris for me, shorts for my husband. The locals were in long pants, coats, etc.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Yeoman

Today is in the high 80s.
I am wearing navy blue pants, a striped knit top and a white sweater.
I have navy blue sandals on.
I am at work.

If I were at home and hanging out around the house, I might be wearing shorts or sweats and a T-shirt.

If I were going out to, say, the mall, I would be wearing capris -- but not summer colors, probably black or khaki -- and a shirt with sleeves and sandals.

First of all, my background: I grew up in the Boston suburbs. I lived several years in NH. I lived most recently in Northeast Ohio.
I have lived in South Florida since 1999.

For a time I commuted twice a month to Florida on weekends, from Ohio.
Back then, I would come down here and wear shorts and sundresses, no matter the season. A day in the 50s didn't feel cold at all.

Then I moved down here in May 1999. At the office I asked others what they wore in the fall.
A native Floridian told me most working people wear darker colors to the office, once September arrives. Not heavy materials necessarily, but dark colors and far fewer florals. Lots of browns and deep reds, purples, etc.

As I got used to the warm temps here [I love it hot!], I found myself getting chilly if the thermometer dropped below 70!
That's a far cry from the days in Ohio went I'd run down the driveway to the mailbox without a jacket in sub-zero weather!

So when the temps dip to, say, 45 ... many Floridians [me included] will be in leather jackets or parkas!
And the tourists will be walking around in white shorts, Hawaiian print shirts and flip-flops ... with purple legs.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

Default And another thing or two ...

It would also get boring if you wore the same things 365 a year.
The change of seasons gives you a reason to change your wardrobe!

I like putting away a hot pink and white print dress and getting out a deep purple one.
Plus hot pink feels *wrong* right now.

Also, as I've said before, if you go to any of the department stores here -- Macys, Bloomies, Saks -- or any of the women's stores -- JJill, Talbots, Ann Taylor -- they only have fall colors now. The summer stuff is gone!

We have sales down here like you have them up there.
In late August all the bathing suits and coverups, all the sundresses, all the shorts and capris are marked down and moved out!!!
[Yes, they still sell "cruise wear" and you can get bathing suits, in a limited variety, this time of year.]

All the sweaters and wool blends and corduroys are moved in.
Even TJ Maxx and Marshalls are selling winter stuff this time of year.