Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeoman

Default Holiday dressing

If you were going on a Caribbean cruise in December -- just before the holidays -- would you pack something with a holiday theme?
I am thinking more for formal night, with velvets in red or black.
Or maybe a plaid skirt.

Or would you wear one of those cute tops with snowmen or reindeer appliques?

It seems weird to me to dress for the holidays on a cruise, but I have never sailed in December.

I once sailed on Halloween and some people boarded the ship in costume!
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
First Mate

we've cruised in December before and are doing so again this year. We are both bringing things that work with the holidays. I have a lovely red/black velvet plaid skirt that I'm wearing with a black top for one of the formal nights and DH has some red and green plaid bow ties that he's wearing with his tux. He also has a cruising Santa tie that he'll probably wear on the informal night. When they start decorating the ships it really gets you into the spirit (plus we love to play Holiday song trivia in the piano bar). We've noticed that people get festive around this time, bringing holiday decorations with them for their doors and staterooms.
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Am going in Dec and don't plan on taking any Christmas type outfits with me. But will be taking my red tank/sweater combo ( not a heavy knit) to wear with some black pants.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona01
we've cruised in December before and are doing so again this year. We are both bringing things that work with the holidays. I have a lovely red/black velvet plaid skirt that I'm wearing with a black top for one of the formal nights and DH has some red and green plaid bow ties that he's wearing with his tux. He also has a cruising Santa tie that he'll probably wear on the informal night. When they start decorating the ships it really gets you into the spirit (plus we love to play Holiday song trivia in the piano bar). We've noticed that people get festive around this time, bringing holiday decorations with them for their doors and staterooms.
I love the idea of the door decor! I have tons of stuff for the holidays, so I think I just may pack some for my door.

Thanks for the info on dressing for formal nights -- a good opportunity then for some once-a-year special outfits.
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have cruised several times on Haloween, and I love to see the costumes at the contest..Some great inventive ideas!

I do have to say though, my NY eve cruise, was a letdown. the Golden Princess looked like it was decorated by the dollar store. Christmas trees in the oddest places, decorated like an afterthought, and they had a Santa's Village in the atrium, that was a sad case. I was so disapointed, and I just bet this year on rthe NY eve Century, it will be different. A sight to behold

As for clothing, I don't bring specific holiday looks, but I love to see how the crew dresses for the Christmas entertainment.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Default Holiday Dressing

I've sailed at Christmas. I can't recall what I wore, but the ship was decorated. People put things on their cabin doors. My DH and I exchanged small gifts.

Judy
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Admiral

I think it would be fun. If you are sailing say the week before or right around Christmas why not go for a touch of holiday?