Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Sittin on the Suitcase!

OK, I admit it..I am an overpacker and I admit it! One cruise, before the weight restrictions, I knew when the cabbie, picked up my bag at the house, and I could see the man, thinking "hernia, I was in trouble". When we got to the airport, they slapped a "heavy" sticker on that puppy!

One another cruise, on the return flight, when the man weighed my bag, and it read 95 pounds!!!!! He told us we were over the limit and would need to pay...well, okay....BUT, that meant this man would have to take the bag inside to process this, and he didn't want to, so we passed us through. In this case on the way down, my bags were , max weight, but precruise and island shopping did me in..This next cruise, I am shipping things hone before I board the ship.

I take what I feel I need, and a few more...especially shoes, since the problem I have with swelling, I need options, or I will be barefoot all week!

How about you, pack rat, or underpacker? Does every cruise fashion option have to be with you? BTW, Jet Blue has a 75 pound per bag weight restriction..I was happy that flight

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Default Sittin' on the Suitcase

75 lbs? Lucky you! AA's limit (for the Dec. cruise) is 50 lbs each bag. I plan to pack two rather than one overly full one. With all the new rules, packing is even more of a hassel.

I had to go thru a handbag search when we went to AZ a few days ago. They didn't like my makeup base or my handcream because they were not in a one-qt. Ziplock bag even tho' both were under one ounce. Keith had one for his meds, so we stuffed them in that.

Judy
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:39 AM
First Mate

Trip, I know you hate them but you really need to jump in....Crocs would help you in several areas. As far as the swelling goes I won't wear any other shoe while flying or traveling. And, as far as weight goes, each shoe only weighs about an ounce, so I can take ALL of them! (well, almost all...)

We've battled that 50# weight restriction, too, and it's tough. DH does a really good job going, when he can use the bathroom scale, but the return trip always gets us (couldn't be because of my purchases, could it? ). We were outside the FLL terminal transferring items from one bag to another to balance them out on the last trip. When we got home I ordered one of the hand-held scales from Magellan (under $10) to pack for the upcoming cruise--DH is VERY happy about that! I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do when we go to Ireland next year and we're restricted to one checked bag each...(travel knits are helping but I still think it's going to be an interesting challenge)...We drove to an out-of-state wedding over the weekend and our car looked like we were going for a week!
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Admiral

I am definitely an overpacker for cruises. Odd in a way, since I used to be able to do a long weekend via plane with just one carry-on bag. Part of the extra now is that I take things we may need, such as cold med's, since they are expensive or unavailable on cruises. I will not pay to see a doctor for a cold!
I also have the swelling feet problem. I take casual shoes that close with velcro at ankle, arch, and ball of foot. I can adjust as needed. I also have a pair of dressy shoes that are black with the entire upper made of what looks like skinny leather straps, but which is really elastic. Not sure what I will do when those die.
We once came off a cruise with a monster duffle bag that DH packed. Airline gave us a choise of paying a LOT more or repacking half into a cardboard box that they provided. Saved us some money, but what a nightmare trying to repack in the middle of a busy airport! Now, he lets me pack..oh joy.
Marty
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Sittin' on the Suitcase

I have found that really good walking shoes, such as New Balance (for me anyway), have solved the swollen ankles problem.

I bought a pair of mules to get thru airport secruity more easily (where you have to take off your shoes), but they are uncomfortable. A secret: I packed my New Balance in a carry on, and when I got past the security thing, I put the comfortable ones back on again. Once you get thru the security line, the TSA doesn't care what you put on your feet, apparently.

Judy
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Sittin' on the Suitcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinK n J
I have found that really good walking shoes, such as New Balance (for me anyway), have solved the swollen ankles problem.

I bought a pair of mules to get thru airport secruity more easily (where you have to take off your shoes), but they are uncomfortable. A secret: I packed my New Balance in a carry on, and when I got past the security thing, I put the comfortable ones back on again. Once you get thru the security line, the TSA doesn't care what you put on your feet, apparently.

Judy
That's the beauty of crocs--you can wear them either as clogs or with the heel strap down and are a breeze to slip off and on and security. They are also more comfortable and more supportive than any sneaker I've owned. DH and I have worn them to walk the 5K race for the cure the last 3 years
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Yeoman

I wear them to walk my dog every night ... they are comfortable and they don't let you skid on wet pavement!

My DH has a pair he's taking on our next cruise. He sometimes has a problem with swollen feet, and Crocs are perfect for him!
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Admiral

I always seem to come home with 2 or 3 neatly folded matching short and top sets never worn. I tend to live in my bathing suit on a cruise, so now I make sure I pack at least 3 of those, and far less clothes.
Shoes are always a problem, as I have difficult feet. I would live in flip flops if I could, but not too appropriate for formal night!

donna
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Hello my name is IBCruzin" and I am an overpacker.

I must have my flat t-strap sandals to match all of my beautiful colorful sundresses. It is a must. It is a must. Then I also bring along a couple of pairs of sneakers for my excursions (what is one pair get wet? You have to bring a spare) which means I then have to have my litte no-show socks to match each of my beautiful colorful sundresses.

I bring 3 bathing suits with matching cover-ups. There are the match scarves that I use to tie my hair back. Then I have my evening shawls, my windbreakers, a sweater or two.

I also bring a mini-version of my medicine cabinet and shower accompaniments.

Funny thing is that I don't bring much make-up, cologne (I hate it) or jewelry.

Plus most of my cruise wear are very light weight sundress and capri sets so they take up little room.

On my last cruise, my one big wheeled duffle was over the 50 pound limit and I had to spend time at the airport transferring stuff around.

For my next cruise, I have a 25", a 22" and a 20". I will pack the clothes and toiletries in the 25", put the shoes in the 22" and use the 20" as a carry on with enough clothes to last me 24-36 hours in case my checked luggage does a hide and go seek on me.

I can't be bothered with trying to bring clothes that can be switched around. Plus, it is not my intention to do laundry while on vacation (maybe one quick load of undies - for freshness sake). Since I do hot-weather itineraries, I do not want to depend on having to wear something more than once that may not be as crisp and fresh the second time around. Yuk!!!!!

I too have the swollen feet (actually entire body) problem and just make sure any fitted clothes are worn early on in the cruise.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I always overpack too. I like options and we found out the hard way you never know what the weather will be. It's hard not to because we always do a pre and post cruise stay for a day or two. Our next cruise out of NY is a 9 day with 3 days pre and 1 day post cruise. That's 13 days and I don't do laundry but I think I will have to this time or send it out.

With the airline limits we always take two 3 piece luggage sets. The 2 carryons are almost empty when flying with our medicine, magazines, and binoculars. Once we get to our destination we fill them up with a few waters, Pepsi and some snacks/candy we like. Then we use them for our souvenirs, expecially the breakables and if we are overlimit we know we have room.

The last cruise we didn't take 1 carryon, instead we put put a duffle bag in the checked luggage and used it for our flight home. We've seen too many ppl buying a carryon suitcase in ports or on the ship because they don't have the room.

We did get one of those fishhook type luggage scales at a local luggage store and it came in real handy. The suitcase alone weighs 10 lbs! We weighed our heaviest suitcase at the hotel and it was 47 lbs but on the airline scale it was 50 lbs even!!! She slapped a HEAVY sticker on it.

The nurses at work all swear by the Crocs or similar one so maybe I'll try them.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Default OVERPACKING

Oh ladies.. can I join your "over packers anonymous"? Our last big cruise was for 17 plus two days..We had two 30" and in one was a 24", a garment bag and our "necessities bag", plus an overnight bag. The lady at British Airways just put an overweight tag on one...Then coming home we were coming from Ft. Lauderdale and the extra 24" was packed with "stuff".. and when we got to the Airport Song had different rules than when we contacted them ...we brought hojme TEN, I REPEAT TEN pieces most of which were "take off" art.. It seems their rules on weight had changed from the time theytold me officially.. and I can't remember what we had to pay...OY..but when we got home I found the original e-mail.. and they refunded me $$$.. Now we are going on another trans-atlantic, this one for two weeks..and I dread the thoughts of packing.. and yes.. we did have to sit on the garment bag.. Sadly the ship does not have washing machines and I'm embarassed to send my personal lingerie to be washed. This time we are flying Swiss Air from Boston to Zurich... I wanted to buy one of those scales at Magellen..but too chicken..
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Ok....I fess up.....I am also an overpacker!

I'm like Rollerdonna, I actually come home with clothes I haven't even worn, still have them folded up all pretty.
I also take WAY too many shoes, but hey.....they're shoes!! You can never have enough choices RIGHT TRIP???

The main problem for me overpacking, is that we drive to our port, so there are no weight restrictions to how much we take...my poor hubby is sooooooo happy about that part

One more thing.......Trip...I JUST LOVE this Board, I'm so glad I found it finally!

Comet Cruiser
Gail

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I'm a total overpacker...

I want a different dress and different shoes to match every night, plus shore excursion clothes, shopping clothes, swimming stuff, gym clothes...etc. etc...

When we got back from our 7 day Victory cruise in April I reopened my suitcase in port after debarkation to stuff some more junk in it from my carryon and it took me AND my two friends sitting on my suitcase to lock it!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with you cutiecat, I need choices. We are up to six, yes I said 6 suitcases for our up coming cruise. It is a long one and we will have season changes. So I'm prepared for anything.
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Ladies:

Why is it a man can travel with just a toothbrush, but a gal requires a filled moving van?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALGAL
I'm with you cutiecat, I need choices. We are up to six, yes I said 6 suitcases for our up coming cruise. It is a long one and we will have season changes. So I'm prepared for anything.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Now, now, let's not generalize this! 8)
I can and have gone for 7 days with one very small suitcase. Hubby is the one who brings everything but the kitchen sink. Plus those size 11 shoes take up a lot of room, even if I stuff them with socks and underwear. Actually, clothes are never the problem. It is the metal detector, portable boom box (thankfully now at rest among the dinosaurs), even a bicycle one trip.
No sexual or other stereotyping, please.
Marty
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Default What's in Your Bag?

Heh, heh, heh...

Kiddo has been known to pack 3 foot shovels for sand castle building, large kites, potato clocks (why pack batteries when you can run your clock off fruits and veggies), baseball gloves and bats, R/C submarines, boats, assorted balls, solar and battery powered suitcase trains, stuffed fish, and SCUBA gear.

Been thinking about bicycles as well as our big inflatable raft and kayaks and maybe some G scale trains. How did y'all do the bicycle, Marty?

No stereotyping, just having fun.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Admiral

The bicycle required a bit of putting my delicate little foot down. I said that if he took it, he had to stow it somewhere that would not result in my tripping over it in the middle of the night if I had to go to the head. We ended up in a cabin with queen size bed that was not up against the wall. So, DH put it on his side of the bed and he tripped over again and again...he never even mentioned it after that trip. Now, he rents bikes on ports! Money well spent! He does have a habit of leaving things everywhere. At home, I simply ignore it...harder to do in a cruise cabin. But, on a cruise, I'm in such a good mood just from being there that most things are fine.
Also, he has a collapsible bike that I fear will go along next time. Great for toting around in the trunk of the car when appropriate, but I'm considering offering to pay for bike rentals this year.
Marty
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Captain

I too was an overpacker but have gotten a whole lot better in the past few years. One thing that I have found that seems to help is the packing bags. I can get soooo much in them and once the air is out they take up 1/2 the space. I used to take 2 large suitcases plus my carryon. Now I get by with 1 medium size and my carryon. Same for hubby so we are traveling lighter now. As for the crocs, they are the best for travel. I have a couple of pairs and they go on all my trips.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Here I am a member of the overpackers society without any thought being given to packing less. I also love options, need a pair of shoes for each outfit (day and night), travel when hot so need fresh clothes, and use space bags so that I can cram my 32" piece of luggage as well as my husband's. Since we live in N.J. and will not need to fly, a dufflebag will be added for our upcoming b2b which is 18 days.

Oh! just kidding. I can wear a pair of shoes twice when on an 18 day trip.