Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Default How Formal is everyone dressing

I am just wondering how formal everyone is dressing (females especially). Are there often floor lenght gowns or is there a mixture of cocktail dresses & floor length...or are we talking ball gowns (you know like debutante gowns - big fluffy & tulle).

I just want to make sure that I bring the right dresses & getting really confused & overwhelmed This is our first cruise & I want to do it right. It is so much easier for men....suit, a few shirts & a couple of ties - done.

bluesky8130
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Don't worry about true ball gowns, especially on Carnival. I haven't owned one for years and am happy not to need to! You will see a variety of other styles, some cocktail dresses, some long dresses, even dressy pants and tops, which is my favorite. I have done some last minute cruises where I packed black satin slacks, 2 dressy tops and some fancy accessories. Have fun what ever you do...that's the only rule.
Marty
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On my first NY eve cruise, I really saw few "ball gowns" and that surely would be the time to wear one on a cruise, I would say...It will be interesting to see what is worn on this Century NY eve cruise...Cocktail dresses, long evening pants, with fancy tops, and long gowns, seem to be the most popular choices..mix and match tops and bottoms, can save on packing when more then one formal night!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

bluesky8130,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am just wondering how formal everyone is dressing (females especially). Are there often floor lenght gowns or is there a mixture of cocktail dresses & floor length...or are we talking ball gowns (you know like debutante gowns - big fluffy & tulle).

I just want to make sure that I bring the right dresses & getting really confused & overwhelmed This is our first cruise & I want to do it right. It is so much easier for men....suit, a few shirts & a couple of ties - done.
Unfortunately, the answer to that question varies widely from cruise line to cruise line and, to a lesser extent, from one destination to another on the same cruise line. On Celebrity, for example, many women tend to overdress -- especially on the "informal" evenings when you'll see very nice cocktail dresses that would be perfectly proper on a formal evening.

The best advise is to follow the standards of dress that your cruise line publishes in your pre-cruise documentation package. If you follow the cruise line's guidance, you'll fit right in.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Admiral

bluesky - you really don't see alot of debutante style ball gowns, you will see more ladies in tailored simple long gowns- maybe with a bit of sparkle, dressy cocktail dressess, long dress skirts with dressy blouses, dressy dinner suits, dressypants with silky/sparkly tops
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone. You gave me a lot to think about but at least I know now that even in a nice cocktail dress I won't be out of place. I didn't want to be under dressed.
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Default How Formal is Everyone Dressing

If you're referring to the Century and Liberty cruises in Dec. and Jan.:

Celebrity: 1 formal night; 2 casual; 2 informal
Carnival: 2 formal nihts; all others casual (men, no ties required)

Judy
Old January 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to KayleighCheyenne Send a message via MSN to KayleighCheyenne

I love to dress up, don't get much of a chance to do so at home. So I'm typically considered "overdressed" but I've never felt uncomfortable or been the only one to do it... For my Spring Break Cruise I'm wearing Cocktail dresses (i.e. Today's Homecoming Type, short, sparkly dresses) for the normal nights, and a Tea Length, flowy, Black Gown, and then a Short (knee) Pink Prom Type dress that is poofy w/ Tulle (Simply because it'll be my Birthday and I want to feel super special for my Sweet 16)
Old January 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Kayleigh, sounds like you will look lovely each night..happy b day and enjoy every minute!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to KayleighCheyenne Send a message via MSN to KayleighCheyenne

Thank you!!! I hope to, since my last cruise was a little disapointing I'm hoping giving it a second chance with a good attitude makes it better!

First Cruise: Carnival Pride
Next Cruise: Carnival Glory 3/31/07
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Admiral

I have seen both short dresses and long gowns on formal night, but thankfully, NO JEANS!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Admiral

KayleighCheyenne,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I love to dress up, don't get much of a chance to do so at home. So I'm typically considered "overdressed" but I've never felt uncomfortable or been the only one to do it... For my Spring Break Cruise I'm wearing Cocktail dresses (i.e. Today's Homecoming Type, short, sparkly dresses) for the normal nights, and a Tea Length, flowy, Black Gown, and then a Short (knee) Pink Prom Type dress that is poofy w/ Tulle (Simply because it'll be my Birthday and I want to feel super special for my Sweet 16)
Overdressed? That sounds about right if you are cruising on Celebrity! On my most recent cruise (MV Galaxy, Southern Caribbean, 11 Nights, on 22 Jan 2997), I saw a few ladies with black pants and flashy tops on the "formal" evenings -- and "few" really is the operative word! Did they ever look out of place!

Norm.
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Passenger

If you go to Yahoo! and enter the words cruise "formal night" into the search, you can go to their image search and see what types of outfits come up. Click the link below to see what I mean:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ab-web&fr=moz2
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
I have seen both short dresses and long gowns on formal night, but thankfully, NO JEANS!!
Since we don't get many occasions to do the full formal thing, we enjoy it on our cruises and DH has even begun wearing a tux. I think he looks very handsome and very sexy. On our most recent though, I saw a couple in the Captain's Formal Cocktail party wearing jeans and white shirts. She did have on a nice black shawl though Guess they were there for the free drinks.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Hi Bluesky! I'm a female, early 30s, and I like to dress to the nines on cruises. I don't get much chance to dress up usually, so I look forward to formal nights. I tend to wear long gowns - but not the poofy debutante types. I also like to wear jewelry. I leave the black pants and sparkly tops for semi-formal nights. But it's up to each person. I have nothing against anyone who wears poofy gowns or black pants on formal nights. As long as everyone is happy and having fun! So if you like to dress up, go for it!
-Tess
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Passenger

On formal nights my DH and I wear formal clothing--He wears tux and I wear a long gown. I LOVE to dress up and don't have many opportunities to do so. Soooo, cruise ship, here I come attired in outfits one step down from cocktail wear for non-formal nights. I love it