Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default What not to wear????

Have you ever bought something to wear on a cruise, that you would
NEVER wear at home..Maybe you got it on sale for a steal, and couldn't resist. Or,

Maybe you wanted to try a style, with glitz, and you are not a glitzy chick, at home.. Or show some cleavage, that would have jaws drop at home. Men, how about you? Maybe you would not be caught dead in a Hawaiin or Tommy Bahama anything, but on a cruise, you turn into a plam tree, surfboard, hula girl kinda guy! Maybe a gold chain or two, or 3

I once bought, for a real steal, this wine colored jacket sparkly thing, that hung in the closet, and I just couldn't pack it, ever money down the drain!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What not to wear????

Trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Have you ever bought something to wear on a cruise, that you would
NEVER wear at home..Maybe you got it on sale for a steal, and couldn't resist. Or,

Maybe you wanted to try a style, with glitz, and you are not a glitzy chick, at home.. Or show some cleavage, that would have jaws drop at home. Men, how about you? Maybe you would not be caught dead in a Hawaiin or Tommy Bahama anything, but on a cruise, you turn into a plam tree, surfboard, hula girl kinda guy! Maybe a gold chain or two, or 3

I once bought, for a real steal, this wine colored jacket sparkly thing, that hung in the closet, and I just couldn't pack it, ever money down the drain!
I have to plead "not guilty" on those charges. Or is it guilty of being boring? Whatever....

What I wear aboard ship is exactly the same as what I wear for similar occasons at home. I emphasize the "similar occasions" only because I don't have as many "formal' events or as many events with tropical themes that would call for "Hawai'ian" or "island" prints at home as when I'm cruising. Thus, I wear these items more frequently when cruising, but only because they are appropriate to the situation.

Norm.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Oh yes! We live in Florida, where toutists come to be really casual and seniors come to...well, I'm too close to being one to finish that thought. Even weddings and funerals down here are less formal than I'm used to. Anyway, I rarely have a good reason to pull out those sparkly, fancy, beaded duds that I love to wear on cruises.
I also have a vintage black ribbon jacket that I bought years ago in Santa Monica, when we lived out there. I thought it would be great for an Alaskan cruise we were getting ready for and I had wanted one badly when I was young. But, it weighs a ton! I ended up not even taking it and it still sits happily in my closet. I will probably never wear it and never throw it away!
Marty
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Oh yes! We live in Florida, where toutists come to be really casual and seniors come to...well, I'm too close to being one to finish that thought. Even weddings and funerals down here are less formal than I'm used to. Anyway, I rarely have a good reason to pull out those sparkly, fancy, beaded duds that I love to wear on cruises.
I also have a vintage black ribbon jacket that I bought years ago in Santa Monica, when we lived out there. I thought it would be great for an Alaskan cruise we were getting ready for and I had wanted one badly when I was young. But, it weighs a ton! I ended up not even taking it and it still sits happily in my closet. I will probably never wear it and never throw it away!
Marty
Ah, Marty! That's why God invented luggage with WHEELS!!

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Send a message via ICQ to Cynda

I've taught my daughters to shop by this motto: A fashion risk is acceptable, if it's 20.00 or less..lol! So, yes, we have things in the wardrobe that we've purchased on a whim, and occasionally find their way to our cruising wardrobe...but hey, it was only 20 bucks! You wear it once, and toss it without guilt if you don't like the final look.
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Admiral

the only things that i can think of would be my formalwear. I don't have many occassions to wear a long gown or a sparkly red dance dress
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi!
I have two closets,one for home the other is cruising clothing.I always have the same dresses and accessories every cruise unless this is out of date,but I usually buy classic things that last longer.
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

i have a certain "cruise wear". being a good looking teen (if i do say so myself) living on the southside of chicago, you can barely walk down your block without somebody (boys-men) trying to talk to you. so the short shorts and mini skirts only go on cruises. i really couldnt wear a mini skirt riding the el everyday to and from school. and besides my mom just wont let me. if i have anything too short she just says " o u just bought that for vacations huh" lol

Old April 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral

You're not good looking, you are beautiful! And kudoes to you and your mom for having the sense to know how much not to show. Besides, that Chicago "breeze" can be a chilly one sometimes!
I did meet a young lady a few years ago on a cruise who dressed very would-be rocker. Lots of leather and metal. She was a sweetie, but could not understand why she was getting hassled so much in ports. Parents were a tad oblivious. The teen said that she always dressed the same way and I tactfully explained that since she lived in a small town, people there probably knew her well enough to not misinterpret her dress. Other countries, other standards and her attire screamed "cheap" to them. So, just be aware that standards may be different elsewhere. I once got approached by a cop in a foreign country who informed me that the way I was sitting was how prostitutes in their country "advertised". Trust me...no one in the States would ever look at me and assume that!
Marty the middle aged
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Yeoman

I wear a lot of my capris/Hawaiian print tops here in Florida -- but only in the summer.
And I wear them on cruises.

Love Tommy Bahama -- the fabrics, the colors ...

Very often what I do is buy things on sale at the end of summer. I put them in my "cruise closet" and wear them on a fall/winter cruise.
Then I work them into my summer wardrobe the following year.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

I bought my DH a Tommy Bahama shirt for the cruise. Expensive but worth it. He would not be caught it this brightly, embroided, flashy shirt.
But on the cruise he wore it several times.
I have a special closet just for all our cruise wear, Tux, dressy, pant suits, all the things we don't wear while at home.
Carole
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
You're not good looking, you are beautiful! And kudoes to you and your mom for having the sense to know how much not to show. Besides, that Chicago "breeze" can be a chilly one sometimes!
I did meet a young lady a few years ago on a cruise who dressed very would-be rocker. Lots of leather and metal. She was a sweetie, but could not understand why she was getting hassled so much in ports. Parents were a tad oblivious. The teen said that she always dressed the same way and I tactfully explained that since she lived in a small town, people there probably knew her well enough to not misinterpret her dress. Other countries, other standards and her attire screamed "cheap" to them. So, just be aware that standards may be different elsewhere. I once got approached by a cop in a foreign country who informed me that the way I was sitting was how prostitutes in their country "advertised". Trust me...no one in the States would ever look at me and assume that!
Marty the middle aged

aww thanks so much. yes we always have to be aware of the way we dress.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Default What Not to Wear?

Carole, Keith likes Tommy Bahama, too. He has a shirt and a couple pair of shorts.

Judy
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Nope:

What I wear on a cruise is what I would wear at home. I will never have "The Costanza Cruise Collection". (referring to the closet of "resort only wear" that George's parent's had on Seinfeld.)

I no longer go with the tuxedo because I no longer need one in my "land life". I would rather spend the $$$ on a dark suit that can be worn on multiple occasions.

I often have to buy new clothes for a cruise because the old ones are worn out.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Passenger

I am very tempted to buy a wig or fall. I have a short bob with bangs that is easy to style and looks great, but it would be fun to change things up once in a while.
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since we live in Arizona we wear our cruise clothes year round. DH loves his Hawaiian shirts.
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Passenger

I have clothes that are just for cruises but in no way can they be considered "cruise wear". I don't wish to buy ALL new things for each cruise, so I don't wear my cruise things. However, there is a very expensive gown that I had to have. I purchased the thing and wore it once (in a sober rush I put the skirt on backwards), and have not had it on since. What a waste of money
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Yes, I bought a "formal" formal gown last year, especially for the CM New Years Eve cruise. I would never have bought something like that for any other reason. On most cruises, I make do with a simple long dress, nothing too fancy, but it was fun to dress up for the CM cruise!

donna
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Passenger

I havent been on a cruise yet but I did have an experience in Aruba on our honeymoon.
I consider myself conservative for my age. (23) My husband picked out some bathing suits for me which I refer to as 'stripper bikinis'.

I am usually the one who wears a one piece AND a cover up. I take the towell as close to the pool as possible so that I can hurry up and jump in with min. exposure to the public eye. However, I thought....well we are in a foreign country on our HONEYMOON where Im sure Ill never see another one of these people ever again. I decided to fake confidence, hold my head high and trot out on the beaches in my little bikini. However, I didnt think about all those pics that you take on your honeymoon. Jeesh....they will be around forever. However, Im glad I threw caution to the wind....Its definately left a lasting impression on my hubby! 4 years later and he still brings it up. (Sorry honey, not on a cruise.)