Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default Fashion Faux Pas....

Everybody,

I have seen cargo pants and cargo shorts... but this morning I saw what has to be pretty much the ultimate in ugly attire -- a woman wearing cargo capris.

And I have to say that the designers achieved an incredible blend of the worst of both!

Norm.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 32
Default

I thought cargo pants went out of style back in '99. People still wear cargo anything?

Was the woman's husband standing next to her wearing cargo pants, square toed shoes, a fanny pack, and his cell phone proudly hanging on his belt?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

wmufiji,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I thought cargo pants went out of style back in '99. People still wear cargo anything?
Cargo pants actually are quite practical for day hikes and for lines of work in which one needs a variety of tools and supplies close at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Was the woman's husband standing next to her wearing cargo pants, square toed shoes, a fanny pack, and his cell phone proudly hanging on his belt?
No. He probably was off with his mistress, with whom he apparently now lives. She has been drinking one of a beverage that's quite popular in Hollywood in spite of a very bitter flavor, known as "Marriage on the Rocks"....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,377
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Hi Norm,
I do agree with you there, what are these designers thinking of. I still find these super baggy low riding pants that so many kids wear today to be the worst fashion statement ever. They do nothing for anybody as far as I can tell, OY.
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Palmer, Massachusetts
Posts: 12,716
Default

Donna, how many times have you resisted the urge to just grab those kids by the waistband and hike those pants up?? lol
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Donna, how many times have you resisted the urge to just grab those kids by the waistband and hike those pants up?? lol
If you want to get the kid's attention, don't pull up the pants. Rather, pull up what they expose that shouldn't be exposed -- the underpants -- with enough force to hoist the offender off the ground, or floor, or deck, or whatever else might have been under his feet....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I do agree with you there, what are these designers thinking of. I still find these super baggy low riding pants that so many kids wear today to be the worst fashion statement ever. They do nothing for anybody as far as I can tell, OY.
Actually, I also saw another "winner" the other day. A woman who is a rather attractive "fifty-something" was working behind the bar at a local restaurant where I often eat lunch, though only because it's the only restaurant within walking distance of my office. Anyway, her black pants were stretched somewhat thin, prominently displaying both a clear difference in shade between her thighs and the "granny panties" covering her butt and a prominent indentation that emphasized the "panty lines" at the tops of her thighs....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Palmer, Massachusetts
Posts: 12,716
Default

Norm-- that would be a "wedgie" good idea lol
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,377
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

Hi Norm,
That lady with the black pants, also a "no-no".

Lisa,
I've actually had the urge to do just that, .
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm-- that would be a "wedgie" good idea lol
Yes, that's the term for it! And in some teen circles now, displaying one's "step-ins" is dubbed "asking for a wedgie."

So if they ask for it, let them have it!

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Fruitcake's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Actually, I also saw another "winner" the other day. A woman who is a rather attractive "fifty-something" was working behind the bar at a local restaurant where I often eat lunch, though only because it's the only restaurant within walking distance of my office. Anyway, her black pants were stretched somewhat thin, prominently displaying both a clear difference in shade between her thighs and the "granny panties" covering her butt and a prominent indentation that emphasized the "panty lines" at the tops of her thighs....

Norm.
Perhaps she can't afford to buy new clothes.
Obviously she is not working in a professional office ... just serving those who do.

As my mother would say, offer up a prayer for the woman.

And I would add -- leave her a good tip. Maybe she can use the money.
__________________
*~* It's a jungle out there kiddies! Have a very fruitful day.*~*
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Fruitcake's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 667
Default Re: Fashion Faux Pas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Everybody,

I have seen cargo pants and cargo shorts... but this morning I saw what has to be pretty much the ultimate in ugly attire -- a woman wearing cargo capris.

And I have to say that the designers achieved an incredible blend of the worst of both!

Norm.
The latest JJill catalog has cargo capris.
I think they're cute.
__________________
*~* It's a jungle out there kiddies! Have a very fruitful day.*~*
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Fruitcake,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Perhaps she can't afford to buy new clothes.
Obviously she is not working in a professional office ... just serving those who do.

As my mother would say, offer up a prayer for the woman.

And I would add -- leave her a good tip. Maybe she can use the money.
Oh, I always tip her quite adequately, and I'm far from alone. She gets very good tips from a steady parade of regular customers throughout her shifts. In fact, she's one of the most popular bartenders in the place.

But don't think for a minute that good bartenders are not professionals. The position might not require a college degree, but it requires a lot of knowledge beyond how to mix a wide variety of drinks. Good bartenders know how to read people, "sniff out" when something is not right, and know "when to say when" -- and how to do so in a tactful way -- when the customer does not. In reality, competent bartenders are more skilled in psychology than a typical psychologist!

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Fruitcake's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 667
Default

By "professionals" I was referring to white collar workers.

Yes, there are "professional" bartenders, waitresses, custodians, car mechanics, trash haulers, ditch diggers and movers.
There are also ladies of the oldest profession in the world.

I was using the term in the commonly accepted way ...
Look at the way most newspapers classify jobs.

Btw, someone very close to me is a bartender! I have a lot of respect for her and know how hard she works.
She has a lot of clout in the town she works in -- guess she knows a lot of secrets!
__________________
*~* It's a jungle out there kiddies! Have a very fruitful day.*~*
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 129
Send a message via AIM to Lazlow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
By "professionals" I was referring to white collar workers.

Yes, there are "professional" bartenders, waitresses, custodians, car mechanics, trash haulers, ditch diggers and movers.
There are also ladies of the oldest profession in the world.

I was using the term in the commonly accepted way ...
Look at the way most newspapers classify jobs.

Btw, someone very close to me is a bartender! I have a lot of respect for her and know how hard she works.
She has a lot of clout in the town she works in -- guess she knows a lot of secrets!
How are you going to call mechanics unprofessional, or even put us in the same category as ditch diggers and waitresses? ***Edited*** Last time I checked we have to go to college to get certified, and there's no schools to learn how to move furniture or dig a ditch. Seems like you're the unprofessional one to me...
__________________
NCL Spirit 4/15/07 - 4/21/07
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
17andacruiseaddict's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chi-Town(Chicago4theslo1's)
Posts: 282
Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict
Default

cargo pants arent that big of a faux pas. im 17 years old and do have a very good sense of fashion. u guys make it sound as if they were a tiny speedo on a middle aged old man who has a beer gut. lol seriously people common now. i can just see u guys now *saditty sounding* "omg look at that woman in cargo pants, tisk what was she thinking" lol. i wouldnt think twice if i saw somebody in those
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,059
Send a message via AIM to Cassandra
Default

if you are worried over Cargo Pants, try this on for size.

Go watch one of those Fashion Shows that's always on TV. You don't have to watch the whole thing, just maybe 3 models or so.

Now....would your wife/partner/mistress, etc be caught in some of THOSE outfits??? You'd never see them on the streets!!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:45 PM
colorcrazie's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 2,706
Default

Hey, I'm an old broad and I love cargo pants, especially for port days. Bad arthritis in the spine, so fanny packs hurt lower back and purses/backpacks hurt my neck. Cargo pants let me stow a lot of stuff in pockets, reserve weight for things I purchase.
Okay, now I do know that stuffing the pockets ruins the style, but Ive always done things my own way, more or less.
Marty
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

Well, that was fun.
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Fruitcake's Avatar
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlow
How are you going to call mechanics unprofessional, or even put us in the same category as ditch diggers and waitresses? ***Edited*** Last time I checked we have to go to college to get certified, and there's no schools to learn how to move furniture or dig a ditch. Seems like you're the unprofessional one to me...
Oh, gimme a break.
Here we go with the politcally correct police.

I'm putting EVERYONE in the professional category, OK???
Bartenders go to school too.
EVERYONE is a professional.
Professional this and professional that.

You seem like a very nice person, and if you want to tell me I'm unprofessional, well gee, go ahead and do it.

But getting back to the OP of this thread ... I would think the tirade should be against him and his comment about the woman who was working at the bar and how she was dressed.

Desdemona said it best in a previous post.
This web board used to be a good place to visit, but lately there is so much nastiness.

Btw, I am glad *my* mechanic went to school.
__________________
*~* It's a jungle out there kiddies! Have a very fruitful day.*~*
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

17andacruiseaddict,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
cargo pants arent that big of a faux pas.
True, but there are times when they are not appropriate. Would you wear cargo pants to a wedding or to a funeral, for example?

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Oh, gimme a break.
Here we go with the politcally correct police.
I agree with you on this. The word "professional" often appears in different ways and in different contexts. In the case of "professional" employment, it typically refers to occupations requiring highly specialized formal education in traditional academic disciplines, and thus includes lawyers, accountants, scientists, meteorologists, mathematicians and statisticians, engineers, architects, physicians, dentists, psychologists, nurses, and other practitioners of other occumpations that require a similar level of formal education, as distinct from trades typically learned on the job through an apprenticeship or, in recent times, through a "trade" school or "vocational" school. Most "professions" are considered to be "white collar" occupations even though their practitioners do not necessarily work in an office. By contrast, there are many "white collar" positions that do not fit into this category -- sales, administration, bookkeeping, stenography, typing, etc.

But having said that, we also use the term "professionalism" to refer to refer to the manner in which one performs one's employment, and in this sense the term can apply to any occupation.

And then there's also the distinction between "professional" and "amateur" in which the term "professional" means nothing more than that one gets paid for doing whatever one is doing.

But I think that we are seeing some of a much larger phenomenon that has become prevelent in our society -- that of people taking offense where none was intended.

Speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
But getting back to the OP of this thread ... I would think the tirade should be against him and his comment about the woman who was working at the bar and how she was dressed.

Desdemona said it best in a previous post.
This web board used to be a good place to visit, but lately there is so much nastiness.
The post in question was not intended to be nasty or ridiculing, and I'm sorry that you found it to be offensive. The title of the thread is "Fashion Faux Pas[/i] -- that is, about what not to wear on a cruise, and perhaps otherwise. The pants that were the subject of the post in question struck me as fitting in that category....

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

Mechanics COLLEGE?
New one to me.
Major in tune ups?
Minor in alignment?
I have all the respect in the world for a good, honest mechanic...and the good ones are worth a mint.
But college? No sale, sorry.
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
17andacruiseaddict's Avatar
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chi-Town(Chicago4theslo1's)
Posts: 282
Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Mechanics COLLEGE?
New one to me.
Major in tune ups?
Minor in alignment?
I have all the respect in the world for a good, honest mechanic...and the good ones are worth a mint.
But college? No sale, sorry.
ok ok people. u have to go somewhere to learn how to do just about everything. there is a school for people who work on cars. u just dont think they wake up knowing everything there is to know about cars do u? and just like with any other job, the more education, the higher the pay. actually my ex is going to some type of car college in the surburbs.

the way u say "Mechanics COLLEGE?" sounds a bit degrading dont ya think?
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

I definitely was not trying to degrade the knowledge of a mechanic.

But a couple night classes at the local JuCo is not "going to college" in the sense that it was presented.
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 129
Send a message via AIM to Lazlow
Default

Pop the hood of your car and try to configure some of the computers in it yourself.
__________________
NCL Spirit 4/15/07 - 4/21/07
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default

No need.
I went to college and can afford a mechanic.
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 129
Send a message via AIM to Lazlow
Default

Good answer.
__________________
NCL Spirit 4/15/07 - 4/21/07
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Lazlow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Pop the hood of your car and try to configure some of the computers in it yourself.
Show me a mechanic who can design those computers, and we'll talk.

Norm.
show me a computer geek who can fix a car....
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 301
Default Re: Fashion Faux Pas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Everybody,

I have seen cargo pants and cargo shorts... but this morning I saw what has to be pretty much the ultimate in ugly attire -- a woman wearing cargo capris.

And I have to say that the designers achieved an incredible blend of the worst of both!

Norm.
for the record, I've seen cargo capris in several of the latest catalogs from high-end stores. Good thing their designers/buyers have a better feeling for what women are looking for
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
faux, pas, topless

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boo boos and Faux pas Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 11 May 21st, 2008 08:39 AM
Real Christmas Tree or Faux? Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 25 December 19th, 2006 10:13 PM
Real or Faux? Trip Styles At Sea 7 April 22nd, 2006 09:34 PM
Formal night attire faux pas ? Claudia Celebrity 9 June 22nd, 2005 09:53 AM
Need info on Sandals Golf Resort St. Lucia day pas Kay Caribbean & Panama Canal 2 December 13th, 2001 10:49 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1