Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Default Fashion Faux Pas....

Everybody,

I have seen cargo pants and cargo shorts... but this morning I saw what has to be pretty much the ultimate in ugly attire -- a woman wearing cargo capris.

And I have to say that the designers achieved an incredible blend of the worst of both!

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Passenger

I thought cargo pants went out of style back in '99. People still wear cargo anything?

Was the woman's husband standing next to her wearing cargo pants, square toed shoes, a fanny pack, and his cell phone proudly hanging on his belt?
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Admiral

wmufiji,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I thought cargo pants went out of style back in '99. People still wear cargo anything?
Cargo pants actually are quite practical for day hikes and for lines of work in which one needs a variety of tools and supplies close at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Was the woman's husband standing next to her wearing cargo pants, square toed shoes, a fanny pack, and his cell phone proudly hanging on his belt?
No. He probably was off with his mistress, with whom he apparently now lives. She has been drinking one of a beverage that's quite popular in Hollywood in spite of a very bitter flavor, known as "Marriage on the Rocks"....

Norm.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Norm,
I do agree with you there, what are these designers thinking of. I still find these super baggy low riding pants that so many kids wear today to be the worst fashion statement ever. They do nothing for anybody as far as I can tell, OY.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Donna, how many times have you resisted the urge to just grab those kids by the waistband and hike those pants up?? lol
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Donna, how many times have you resisted the urge to just grab those kids by the waistband and hike those pants up?? lol
If you want to get the kid's attention, don't pull up the pants. Rather, pull up what they expose that shouldn't be exposed -- the underpants -- with enough force to hoist the offender off the ground, or floor, or deck, or whatever else might have been under his feet....

Norm.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I do agree with you there, what are these designers thinking of. I still find these super baggy low riding pants that so many kids wear today to be the worst fashion statement ever. They do nothing for anybody as far as I can tell, OY.
Actually, I also saw another "winner" the other day. A woman who is a rather attractive "fifty-something" was working behind the bar at a local restaurant where I often eat lunch, though only because it's the only restaurant within walking distance of my office. Anyway, her black pants were stretched somewhat thin, prominently displaying both a clear difference in shade between her thighs and the "granny panties" covering her butt and a prominent indentation that emphasized the "panty lines" at the tops of her thighs....

Norm.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Norm-- that would be a "wedgie" good idea lol
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Norm,
That lady with the black pants, also a "no-no".

Lisa,
I've actually had the urge to do just that, .

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Admiral

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Norm-- that would be a "wedgie" good idea lol
Yes, that's the term for it! And in some teen circles now, displaying one's "step-ins" is dubbed "asking for a wedgie."

So if they ask for it, let them have it!

Norm.
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Actually, I also saw another "winner" the other day. A woman who is a rather attractive "fifty-something" was working behind the bar at a local restaurant where I often eat lunch, though only because it's the only restaurant within walking distance of my office. Anyway, her black pants were stretched somewhat thin, prominently displaying both a clear difference in shade between her thighs and the "granny panties" covering her butt and a prominent indentation that emphasized the "panty lines" at the tops of her thighs....

Norm.
Perhaps she can't afford to buy new clothes.
Obviously she is not working in a professional office ... just serving those who do.

As my mother would say, offer up a prayer for the woman.

And I would add -- leave her a good tip. Maybe she can use the money.
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Fashion Faux Pas....

Quote:
Everybody,

I have seen cargo pants and cargo shorts... but this morning I saw what has to be pretty much the ultimate in ugly attire -- a woman wearing cargo capris.

And I have to say that the designers achieved an incredible blend of the worst of both!

Norm.
The latest JJill catalog has cargo capris.
I think they're cute.
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Admiral

Fruitcake,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Perhaps she can't afford to buy new clothes.
Obviously she is not working in a professional office ... just serving those who do.

As my mother would say, offer up a prayer for the woman.

And I would add -- leave her a good tip. Maybe she can use the money.
Oh, I always tip her quite adequately, and I'm far from alone. She gets very good tips from a steady parade of regular customers throughout her shifts. In fact, she's one of the most popular bartenders in the place.

But don't think for a minute that good bartenders are not professionals. The position might not require a college degree, but it requires a lot of knowledge beyond how to mix a wide variety of drinks. Good bartenders know how to read people, "sniff out" when something is not right, and know "when to say when" -- and how to do so in a tactful way -- when the customer does not. In reality, competent bartenders are more skilled in psychology than a typical psychologist!

Norm.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Yeoman

By "professionals" I was referring to white collar workers.

Yes, there are "professional" bartenders, waitresses, custodians, car mechanics, trash haulers, ditch diggers and movers.
There are also ladies of the oldest profession in the world.

I was using the term in the commonly accepted way ...
Look at the way most newspapers classify jobs.

Btw, someone very close to me is a bartender! I have a lot of respect for her and know how hard she works.
She has a lot of clout in the town she works in -- guess she knows a lot of secrets!
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lazlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
By "professionals" I was referring to white collar workers.

Yes, there are "professional" bartenders, waitresses, custodians, car mechanics, trash haulers, ditch diggers and movers.
There are also ladies of the oldest profession in the world.

I was using the term in the commonly accepted way ...
Look at the way most newspapers classify jobs.

Btw, someone very close to me is a bartender! I have a lot of respect for her and know how hard she works.
She has a lot of clout in the town she works in -- guess she knows a lot of secrets!
How are you going to call mechanics unprofessional, or even put us in the same category as ditch diggers and waitresses? ***Edited*** Last time I checked we have to go to college to get certified, and there's no schools to learn how to move furniture or dig a ditch. Seems like you're the unprofessional one to me...
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

cargo pants arent that big of a faux pas. im 17 years old and do have a very good sense of fashion. u guys make it sound as if they were a tiny speedo on a middle aged old man who has a beer gut. lol seriously people common now. i can just see u guys now *saditty sounding* "omg look at that woman in cargo pants, tisk what was she thinking" lol. i wouldnt think twice if i saw somebody in those

Old April 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

if you are worried over Cargo Pants, try this on for size.

Go watch one of those Fashion Shows that's always on TV. You don't have to watch the whole thing, just maybe 3 models or so.

Now....would your wife/partner/mistress, etc be caught in some of THOSE outfits??? You'd never see them on the streets!!
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Hey, I'm an old broad and I love cargo pants, especially for port days. Bad arthritis in the spine, so fanny packs hurt lower back and purses/backpacks hurt my neck. Cargo pants let me stow a lot of stuff in pockets, reserve weight for things I purchase.
Okay, now I do know that stuffing the pockets ruins the style, but Ive always done things my own way, more or less.
Marty
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Well, that was fun.
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlow
How are you going to call mechanics unprofessional, or even put us in the same category as ditch diggers and waitresses? ***Edited*** Last time I checked we have to go to college to get certified, and there's no schools to learn how to move furniture or dig a ditch. Seems like you're the unprofessional one to me...
Oh, gimme a break.
Here we go with the politcally correct police.

I'm putting EVERYONE in the professional category, OK???
Bartenders go to school too.
EVERYONE is a professional.
Professional this and professional that.

You seem like a very nice person, and if you want to tell me I'm unprofessional, well gee, go ahead and do it.

But getting back to the OP of this thread ... I would think the tirade should be against him and his comment about the woman who was working at the bar and how she was dressed.

Desdemona said it best in a previous post.
This web board used to be a good place to visit, but lately there is so much nastiness.

Btw, I am glad *my* mechanic went to school.
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

17andacruiseaddict,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
cargo pants arent that big of a faux pas.
True, but there are times when they are not appropriate. Would you wear cargo pants to a wedding or to a funeral, for example?

Norm.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Oh, gimme a break.
Here we go with the politcally correct police.
I agree with you on this. The word "professional" often appears in different ways and in different contexts. In the case of "professional" employment, it typically refers to occupations requiring highly specialized formal education in traditional academic disciplines, and thus includes lawyers, accountants, scientists, meteorologists, mathematicians and statisticians, engineers, architects, physicians, dentists, psychologists, nurses, and other practitioners of other occumpations that require a similar level of formal education, as distinct from trades typically learned on the job through an apprenticeship or, in recent times, through a "trade" school or "vocational" school. Most "professions" are considered to be "white collar" occupations even though their practitioners do not necessarily work in an office. By contrast, there are many "white collar" positions that do not fit into this category -- sales, administration, bookkeeping, stenography, typing, etc.

But having said that, we also use the term "professionalism" to refer to refer to the manner in which one performs one's employment, and in this sense the term can apply to any occupation.

And then there's also the distinction between "professional" and "amateur" in which the term "professional" means nothing more than that one gets paid for doing whatever one is doing.

But I think that we are seeing some of a much larger phenomenon that has become prevelent in our society -- that of people taking offense where none was intended.

Speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
But getting back to the OP of this thread ... I would think the tirade should be against him and his comment about the woman who was working at the bar and how she was dressed.

Desdemona said it best in a previous post.
This web board used to be a good place to visit, but lately there is so much nastiness.
The post in question was not intended to be nasty or ridiculing, and I'm sorry that you found it to be offensive. The title of the thread is "Fashion Faux Pas[/i] -- that is, about what not to wear on a cruise, and perhaps otherwise. The pants that were the subject of the post in question struck me as fitting in that category....

Norm.
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Mechanics COLLEGE?
New one to me.
Major in tune ups?
Minor in alignment?
I have all the respect in the world for a good, honest mechanic...and the good ones are worth a mint.
But college? No sale, sorry.
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to 17andacruiseaddict Send a message via Yahoo to 17andacruiseaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Mechanics COLLEGE?
New one to me.
Major in tune ups?
Minor in alignment?
I have all the respect in the world for a good, honest mechanic...and the good ones are worth a mint.
But college? No sale, sorry.
ok ok people. u have to go somewhere to learn how to do just about everything. there is a school for people who work on cars. u just dont think they wake up knowing everything there is to know about cars do u? and just like with any other job, the more education, the higher the pay. actually my ex is going to some type of car college in the surburbs.

the way u say "Mechanics COLLEGE?" sounds a bit degrading dont ya think?

Old April 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Admiral

I definitely was not trying to degrade the knowledge of a mechanic.

But a couple night classes at the local JuCo is not "going to college" in the sense that it was presented.
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Pop the hood of your car and try to configure some of the computers in it yourself.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Admiral

No need.
I went to college and can afford a mechanic.
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good answer.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Lazlow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Pop the hood of your car and try to configure some of the computers in it yourself.
Show me a mechanic who can design those computers, and we'll talk.

Norm.
show me a computer geek who can fix a car....
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Fashion Faux Pas....

Quote:
Everybody,

Norm.
for the record, I've seen cargo capris in several of the latest catalogs from high-end stores. Good thing their designers/buyers have a better feeling for what women are looking for