Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Admiral

On my HAL Zuiderdam January 2nd crusie I saw a man turned away. However on my Westerdam cruise in April 2008 I had a table mate wear jeans to dinner. Now she had on a nice pair of jeans teamed with a silk cami and shrug. The man's jeans looked like "work on you car" jeans. Perhaps that made the difference, or perhaps it depends upon whom the head waiter is on ship, and if he enforces the rules.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Admiral

luv2cruiserccl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
ok i have to bring this up as another question on this topic. Personally in all my past cruise's i have always worn a dark suit and tie to the formal night's.. But on that note i personally don't like having to pack all those extra clothes. My question for discussion is this.... With the airline policy's changing almost daily on luggage and charging quite a bit for a bag and especially for a 2nd and so on can a person afford almost to pack all the formal wear let alone the casual attire you have to pack for the casual night's.... I'm almost ready on the formal night's to skip the main dining room and book one of the specialty restaurants and wear your casual but yet dressy wear, or go to the windjammers on rccl and be done with it. I do completely understand some people like to get all dressed up but anymore I'm not sure......

I have seen people wear jean's, shorts and those bright Hawaiian shirts on casual and formal night's as well thou. Not saying it was right or wrong but i have seen it and they where seated and served in the formal dining room.

I personally think that there should just be casual night's and no more formal night's.. I believe there is a lot to do with the formal night and income to the cruise line with all the photo's etc that are taken those night and sold.. Plus i always end up changing afterword's and going to the pool or upper decks have a drink or something and a lot of time's it hard to walk and lounge around all evening in dress clothes. Maybe and just a thought on the "formal night" 1st seating could be more dressed down casual and for everyone that was to dress up and be "formal" have the second seating for that....just a thought
Let me offer two thoughts on this.

>> 1. There are folks like you who would prefer an "all casual" cruise and folks like me who really look forward to the "formal" evenings. In fact, some people actually take cruises because the "formal" evenings give them opportunities to "dress to the nines" that they don't have at home.

>> 2. It is not possible to accommodate both groups on the same ship because the dress of the participants is an essential element of the ambiance of a "formal" evening.

Do you see where I am going with this?

I really would like to see Royal Caribbean International split off about half of its ships to form another cruise line marketed in North America that would offer an "all casual" cruise experience. This may well happen as a result of competing market forces.

But if you really want an "all casual" cruise, you do have several very viable options right now.

>> Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) advertises "formal optional" evenings.

>> Carnival Cruise Line has lowered its standard of dress for "elegant" evenings to admit a shirt and slacks (no tie or jacket necessary) for gents.

>> Disney Cruise Line, Azamara Club, and Oceania Cruises offer "all casual" cruises on every itinerary.

The bottom line here is that the onus is on us to choose a cruise line that offers what we want. Saying that you want to "dress down" on a cruise line known for real "formal" evenings is about like going into a Hummer dealer to buy a new Mini Cooper. It's simply not the product that the company sells.

Norm.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Admiral

luv2cruiserccl,

Quote:
so just thinking maybe all of us could make a list of what cruise line's would not even think of allowing you to wear jean's or anything other then a tux or suit, and some other lines that are a little more workable? Just wondering... Most of us know but some may not.
I think that you are asking the wrong question.

Regardless of enforcement or lack thereof, the norms of social etiquette always require that one dress to the standards set by the host(ess) for a social function. Once the host(ess) states that a dinner, or a social evening, is a "modified black tie" event, that is the end of the discussion. There is no flexibility beyond that guideline.

Thus, the right question is not one of "other lines that are a little more workable." Rather, the right question is other lines that set a different standard of evening dress.

And I think that I actually answered that question in my previous post.

Norm.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

It's great to know in all the years I've read your postings on "proper dress" that you haven't changed one iota....and I agree....although I did see gentlemen in formal wear on the NCL Gem
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Some lines are more casual and indicate this. NCL and Carnival come to mind. HAL is not as casual, but many consider the "suggested wear" means it is only "suggested," and so, there is no problem with wearing whatever.

I hate that. I like the nice experience and ambiance of dressing up a bit for dinner. In late 2008 I crusied NCL, and I knew I would not have this, but I also did not expect others to "bend" to my wants, as I realized I had chosen to cruise that line, and so I had to respect their guidelines. I just wish others who cruise the lines who ask you to dress "smart casual", that they not try to turn that into "casual". Why not cruise the lines that have no problem with the more casual dress? Or if you choose a line that asks you up your dress a notch, (I do understand this-sometimes you pick a cruise for itinerary) that you repsectfully do this even if this is not your preference?

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Why jeans? you can wear jeans any other time on the ship. Why on formal night?. Don't you want to wear a beautiful dress or gown and show it off? Formal night is just that formal night. Trust me,it won't kill you to wear a nice dress, make the effort. I have dresses that I bought for weddings that I wish I had more formal events to wear them. Celebrity is more up-ascale so their dress code is in place for a reason. For me its a pride thing, I take the time and effort to get myself ready for formal night. Besides I love wearing the dress/gowns I bought, never get a chance otherwise.
I don't care how comfortable, your jeans, tank top or flip flops are; they are not for formal night on any cruiseline. It screams I don't want to bother to make an effort to dress up. Its 1 or 2 nights for a couple hours you can survive the world won't end being dolled up for a couple hours right? just my opinion.
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Admiral

momofmeg,

Quote:
Some lines are more casual and indicate this. NCL and Carnival come to mind. HAL is not as casual, but many consider the "suggested wear" means it is only "suggested," and so, there is no problem with wearing whatever.
Ah, no. A "suggestion" by a person in authority (in this case, an officer of the ship acting on behalf of the master of the vessel) is NEVER optional.

Also, the norms of social etiquette dictate that guests at a social event are to dress in the manner prescribed by the host or hostess who extends the invitation. Failure to do so is exceedingly gauche.

Of course, there are always some who are hell-bent on demonstrating their ignorance and their arrogance to everybody else....

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Admiral

I have always marvelled at the lack of understanding of the subtlety involved in the use of the term "suggested" when applied to dress codes.
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g,

Quote:
I have always marvelled at the lack of understanding of the subtlety involved in the use of the term "suggested" when applied to dress codes.
Ah, yes. Our NROTC midshipman training manuals had a section devoted to the subtleties of language.

>> 1. "A superior suggests to a subordinate, whereas a subordinate recommends to a superior."

>> 2. "A 'suggestion' by a superior is construed as a direct order."

On a civilian ship, the master and, when acting at his direction, the ship's officers hold the same position of absolute authority over all passengers.

No, there's no ambiguity.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
johnthed0g,

Ah, yes. Our NROTC midshipman training manuals had a section devoted to the subtleties of language.

>> 1. "A superior suggests to a subordinate, whereas a subordinate recommends to a superior."

>> 2. "A 'suggestion' by a superior is construed as a direct order."

On a civilian ship, the master and, when acting at his direction, the ship's officers hold the same position of absolute authority over all passengers.

No, there's no ambiguity.

Norm.
Quite....but I did not say there was any ambiguity....I said they didn't understand the subtlety. To some (quite a few) if the cruise line respectfully request that the suggested dress is as follows....they think they are actually making a suggestion or offering guideance...hey ho...
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I think you should avoid jeans as you are going for a celebrity cruise. If you wear jeans on that night probably you will feel a bit uncomfortable as others tend to look very smart as the guest of the celebrity cruise.We have to sacrifice our likings sometimes to match with the grand evenings.
Old July 28th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Admiral

Why does a person need to wear jeans while on a cruise?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Admiral

On my cruise last week men wore jeans on formal nights . I wore jeans for lunch once ,most people wore shorts .On the last dinner night nearly every man wore jeans basically because they packed their pants and were wearing jeans off the ship to go home .
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Other than your Seabourn's, Silverseas, Crystals of the world, I think all mainstream cruise lines have now changed their dress code wording taking out the no jeans clause for smart casual nights.

Wear them if you feel like it. It's the cruise line's dress code, if they say it's fine, everyone else is just sharing an opinion and not fact.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Wear them if you feel like it. It's the cruise line's dress code, if they say it's fine, everyone else is just sharing an opinion and not fact.
Excellent point. I know that many would like to retain the old dress code/guidelines but the truth is that they have changed.

If you want to dress up then go ahead and enjoy. However, people who are dressed within the guidelines are not committing a crime or even a violation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Admiral

To each his own. I never pack jeans for any of my cruises. I am very comfortable in Dockers or other types of leisure slacks.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Personally I don't care any more, I just wear what they tell me or don't go. There are things I just don't understand though, like getting dressed up then after dinner getting changed back, &, OK you go back to the cabin to get washed & changed (presumably) so why not change into something "presentable"?
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It does seem these days, they are more relaxing the dress codes, seems Jeans are OK at some times....I've actually worn them the first evening if I haven't had a chance to unpack and also notice many others wearing them as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Welcome Newcomer

If you are comfortable than i don' think it is fine to wear them but make sure that you should wear good brand jeans as the important thing matters is our comfort,
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I even think that due to the large complaints done by the members of the cruise, now they have relaxed their rules regarding the formals, but some how still some strictness regarding the outfit is there as they are very specific regarding their dress codes.