CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   Are jeans really a no-no in the dining room? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/342995-jeans-really-no-no-dining-room.html)

Ladystella November 30th, 2007 05:03 PM

Are jeans really a no-no in the dining room?
 
I'm going on a Celebrity 14 day cruise next week. I have a pair of nice dark blue jeans I'd like to wear to dinner on casual nights. I'm already going to wear my black pants on semi-formal nights, so I don't want to wear black pants again on casual nights.

The Celebrity website states: "Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm."

What do you guys think? Will they frown on me for wearing jeans to dinner on casual night? They're real nice expensive dark jeans, not the faded kind with rips and tears etc.

Thanks!
Tess

Trip December 2nd, 2007 04:10 PM

I think you should keep the jeans for other dining or lounge options on Celebrity. This line is a bit more formal, than others, and I think you may feel a bit uncomfortable..If you read Kuki's blog, on the Celebrity forum, he does mention this a bit, He is on the Constellation now. have a great cruise!

DougR. December 2nd, 2007 08:20 PM

Re: Are jeans really a no-no in the dining room?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladystella
I'm going on a Celebrity 14 day cruise next week. I have a pair of nice dark blue jeans I'd like to wear to dinner on casual nights. I'm already going to wear my black pants on semi-formal nights, so I don't want to wear black pants again on casual nights.

The Celebrity website states: "Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm."

What do you guys think? Will they frown on me for wearing jeans to dinner on casual night? They're real nice expensive dark jeans, not the faded kind with rips and tears etc.

Thanks!
Tess

Tess - doesn't matter the color or the condition or the price -- you will not be admitted. Quite a few would be jeans wearers were turned away on my cruise and had to go back to change. Word got around fast, after second night virtually no one tried.

LisaK December 4th, 2007 10:21 AM

Tess- on Celebrity it is a definite no-no in the dining room for dinner.

colorcrazie December 4th, 2007 10:57 AM

Tess,
It will not be a matter of being frowned on, but that the maitre d' may not let you in the dining room in jeans. Take an extra pair of nice casual, non-jean pants. While I prefer a more casual approach, when you choose a cruise line, you do need to honor their "rules".
Have fun!
Marty

Rev22:17 December 4th, 2007 06:50 PM

Re: Are jeans really a no-no in the dining room?
 
Tess,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I'm going on a Celebrity 14 day cruise next week. I have a pair of nice dark blue jeans I'd like to wear to dinner on casual nights. I'm already going to wear my black pants on semi-formal nights, so I don't want to wear black pants again on casual nights.

The Celebrity website states: "Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm."

What do you guys think? Will they frown on me for wearing jeans to dinner on casual night? They're real nice expensive dark jeans, not the faded kind with rips and tears etc.

Thanks!

Save yourself the hassle. Leave the jeans at home.

Actually, on Celebrity, cocktail dresses would be a better choice for the "informal" evenings. The slacks or skirts and tops would be a good choice for the "casual" evenings.

Norm.

katlady December 11th, 2007 08:30 PM

I agree with the other posters. Celebrity is no jeans in the dining room. If you had said you were on Carnival I would have said it was fine. Carnival doesn't prohibit jeans in the dining room. However, you are on Celebrity they clearly prohibit jeans in the dining room. I would not risk being turned away.

I disagree a little with Norm. A cocktail dress is not required on informal nights on Celebrity this line is not quite that formal. In fact that gets a bit confusing for Celebrity on the difference bewteen Causal and informal nights for women. Because nice slacks are allowed on both nights. I just paired it with nicer blouses on informal nights. I did a 12 day with Celebrity to Alaska. I hope that helps. :D

Kuki December 11th, 2007 08:43 PM

Have just returned last weekend from an 11 night cruise on Celebrity Constellation.

Though they do say no jeans in their suggested dress codes, they weren't enforcing it. Walked through the dining room on a night designated Informal, I saw a table in t-shirts and wearing their ball caps in the dining room.

Not that this was appropriate... but it was fact, and no one asked them to remove the headgear, or a change of clothing.

If they were just in jeans and a t-shirt there's always the possibility that their luggage was lost. However, no good explanation for allowing the ball caps.

Trip December 12th, 2007 10:55 PM

I could tolerate the jeans, before I would tolerate the caps...Someone dropped the ball on the one....The maitre'd should have walked by and knocked them all off;)

Rev22:17 December 28th, 2007 05:53 PM

katlady,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I disagree a little with Norm. A cocktail dress is not required on informal nights on Celebrity this line is not quite that formal. In fact that gets a bit confusing for Celebrity on the difference bewteen Causal and informal nights for women. Because nice slacks are allowed on both nights. I just paired it with nicer blouses on informal nights. I did a 12 day with Celebrity to Alaska. I hope that helps. :D

This does vary by destination, but my experience is that passengers on most of Celebrity's longer cruises tend to dress on the dressier side of the published standard rather than on the more casual side of the published standard. In particular, I have seen a lot of very nice cocktail dresses on Celebrity's "informal" evenings. This is especially true of cruises within Europe and on Transatlantic cruises.

Norm.

Rick December 29th, 2007 05:52 PM

Re: Are jeans really a no-no in the dining room?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladystella
I'm going on a Celebrity 14 day cruise next week. I have a pair of nice dark blue jeans I'd like to wear to dinner on casual nights. I'm already going to wear my black pants on semi-formal nights, so I don't want to wear black pants again on casual nights.

The Celebrity website states: "Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm."

What do you guys think? Will they frown on me for wearing jeans to dinner on casual night? They're real nice expensive dark jeans, not the faded kind with rips and tears etc.

Thanks!
Tess

Hi Tess!

If you look good in your jeans :wink: :wink: :wink: , I don't think you will have a problem.

billbelt July 10th, 2009 09:22 AM

Jeans
 
My wife (I was not going to handle this question) suggests leaving the jeans in the cabin---wear them another night. (And she wears jeans!!).

vi reynolds August 8th, 2009 08:42 PM

Okay, call me girly if you wish, but believe you me, I grew up with 6 brothers and I was a tomboy until I married my husband more or less. Not that he changed me, I was changing when we re-met, long story..

Okay, I noticed that you only mention black trousers or jeans as a possibility. There are many others! I don't know you or your reasons, but okay, for instance, I don't have the figure I had prior to my baby's birth. It was a c-section and I'm still well big round there... still, there are dresses that are girly but not too girly, one of mine for instance is a white cotton thing, very appealing and flattering, not silly and with a tan a definite winner!

My advice is to experiment with other stuff away from black pants and jeans. If you're the casual type, how about vintage 70s? It's all very playfull and whatever your figure (which I don't know - for all you know you are a model) there is something for everyone and so many styles without going ballrooom. I do all, one at a time and as I say, my figure could be better!

Rev22:17 August 24th, 2009 09:01 PM

Vi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Okay, I noticed that you only mention black trousers or jeans as a possibility. There are many others! I don't know you or your reasons, but okay, for instance, I don't have the figure I had prior to my baby's birth. It was a c-section and I'm still well big round there... still, there are dresses that are girly but not too girly, one of mine for instance is a white cotton thing, very appealing and flattering, not silly and with a tan a definite winner!

In my experience, skirts and dresses that fit properly generally will diminish the visual impact of various bulges while pants will emphasize bulges. Ladies who have perfectly flat abs and a well-shaped tush can get away with pants. The rest of the ladies do well to consider other options.

Norm.

Cruuuzer August 24th, 2009 10:55 PM

Norm, it's not a question of size or fitness. IMHO the ladies who don't look good in pants are not buying the right size or cut for their figure. You'd be amazed what a properly fitting pair of pants can do even for the 98.5% of us who don't have perfectly flat abs and "well-shaped tushes". A great pair of pants and some Lycra on the thighs will do wonders for any shape! :wink:

Surfguyxxx1 September 6th, 2009 07:20 PM

Wear your jeans, baggy pants and tanks at a cafe. If you dine on a cruise in the main dining room, have the integrity to abide by the dining code. I don't care how much money you have or how "you're
paying", there are codes of ethics that should and must be abided by.

Rev22:17 September 7th, 2009 08:01 PM

Cruuuzer,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Norm, it's not a question of size or fitness. IMHO the ladies who don't look good in pants are not buying the right size or cut for their figure. You'd be amazed what a properly fitting pair of pants can do even for the 98.5% of us who don't have perfectly flat abs and "well-shaped tushes". A great pair of pants and some Lycra on the thighs will do wonders for any shape! :wink:

In that case, I would like to see what you consider to be the right cut of pants for the woman whose profile is "five by five" (as in "five feet high and five feet wide")!

Seriously, for ladies who have any "bulges" that are, ah, less than attactive, a skirt or a dress will diminish the visual impact in ways that pants cannot.

Norm.

Manuel February 7th, 2010 08:59 AM

I don't understand why people need to wear jeans on a cruise.

TM

Lakers Fan February 7th, 2010 11:56 AM

I believe that people should be able to wear anything they desire whether it be jeans ,khaki's ,corduroys ,etc .The idea of cruising is to derive enjoyment .

AShann February 7th, 2010 06:51 PM

Hi there- Celebrity does get picky about this, and this thread isn't the first time I've heard it. I was just reading a post about cruiselines and their dress codes, you might find it helpful because they talk about Celebrity: www.allthingscruise.com/cruise-preparation/articles/what-to-wear-on-a-cruise/

Parrot Mom February 7th, 2010 11:48 PM

Jeans on Celebrity
 
As a woman of a certain size, shape and age...I find it offensive that a man tells me what to wear and what I shouldn't wear...I would NEVER, EVER wear jeans into the dining room on a Celebrity ship or for that matter on any ship.. It is rude and disrespectful to other diners.. With the weight limits (if your flying) its very difficult to take for me the dresses and outfits I really would like to wear. I've seen people, men and women who I judge are wearing the same clothes almost everyday. To me cruising is supposed to be an elegant experience, especially in the evenings..Mixing and matching which cruise mavens talk about for me doesn't alway work and sadly I overpack...Wearing a nice pair of slacks with a dressy or simple top with jewelry in the evening gets me by. The casual/country club distinction is blurred...and for a man to wear a dark or white jacket for formal wear is fine..collared shirts also are great for the casual/country club discription... Then fellow cruisers how about those men in speedos.. oh my G-d... their manhood sticking out and their fat bellies overhanging....talk about that instead of the women you find offensive.. :mad:

Parrot Mom February 7th, 2010 11:51 PM

Jeans on Celebrity
 
As a woman of a certain size, shape and age...I find it offensive that a man tells me what to wear and what I shouldn't wear...I would NEVER, EVER wear jeans into the dining room on a Celebrity ship or for that matter on any ship.. It is rude and disrespectful to other diners.. With the weight limits (if your flying) its very difficult to take for me the dresses and outfits I really would like to wear. I've seen people, men and women who I judge are wearing the same clothes almost everyday. To me cruising is supposed to be an elegant experience, especially in the evenings..Mixing and matching which cruise mavens talk about for me doesn't alway work and sadly I overpack...Wearing a nice pair of slacks with a dressy or simple top with jewelry in the evening gets me by. The casual/country club distinction is blurred...and for a man to wear a dark or white jacket for formal wear is fine..collared shirts also are great for the casual/country club discription...

Then fellow cruisers how about those men in speedos.. oh my G-d... their manhood sticking out and their fat bellies overhanging....talk about that instead of the women you find offensive.. :mad:

luv2cruiserccl February 10th, 2010 09:27 AM

ok i have to bring this up as another question on this topic. Personally in all my past cruise's i have always worn a dark suit and tie to the formal night's.. But on that note i personally don't like having to pack all those extra clothes. My question for discussion is this.... With the airline policy's changing almost daily on luggage and charging quite a bit for a bag and especially for a 2nd and so on can a person afford almost to pack all the formal wear let alone the casual attire you have to pack for the casual night's.... I'm almost ready on the formal night's to skip the main dining room and book one of the specialty restaurants and wear your casual but yet dressy wear, or go to the windjammers on rccl and be done with it. I do completely understand some people like to get all dressed up but anymore I'm not sure......

I have seen people wear jean's, shorts and those bright Hawaiian shirts on casual and formal night's as well thou. Not saying it was right or wrong but i have seen it and they where seated and served in the formal dining room.

I personally think that there should just be casual night's and no more formal night's.. I believe there is a lot to do with the formal night and income to the cruise line with all the photo's etc that are taken those night and sold.. Plus i always end up changing afterword's and going to the pool or upper decks have a drink or something and a lot of time's it hard to walk and lounge around all evening in dress clothes. Maybe and just a thought on the "formal night" 1st seating could be more dressed down casual and for everyone that was to dress up and be "formal" have the second seating for that....just a thought

colorcrazie February 10th, 2010 01:50 PM

You may have seen those Hawaiian shirts on RCCL or NCL or Carnival. but Celebrity is different. Their official policy prohibits casual clothes on formal nights. It is, however, always up to the maitre d' to enforce the rules or not. I simply would never advise someone to take the risk that they might be denied entrance to the dining room. Better to wear nicer clothes and not have to worry about it.
Marty

Parrot Mom February 10th, 2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl (Post 1273040)
ok i have to bring this up as another question on this topic. Personally in all my past cruise's i have always worn a dark suit and tie to the formal night's.. But on that note i personally don't like having to pack all those extra clothes. My question for discussion is this.... With the airline policy's changing almost daily on luggage and charging quite a bit for a bag and especially for a 2nd and so on can a person afford almost to pack all the formal wear let alone the casual attire you have to pack for the casual night's.... I'm almost ready on the formal night's to skip the main dining room and book one of the specialty restaurants and wear your casual but yet dressy wear, or go to the windjammers on rccl and be done with it. I do completely understand some people like to get all dressed up but anymore I'm not sure......

I have seen people wear jean's, shorts and those bright Hawaiian shirts on casual and formal night's as well thou. Not saying it was right or wrong but i have seen it and they where seated and served in the formal dining room.

I personally think that there should just be casual night's and no more formal night's.. I believe there is a lot to do with the formal night and income to the cruise line with all the photo's etc that are taken those night and sold.. Plus i always end up changing afterword's and going to the pool or upper decks have a drink or something and a lot of time's it hard to walk and lounge around all evening in dress clothes. Maybe and just a thought on the "formal night" 1st seating could be more dressed down casual and for everyone that was to dress up and be "formal" have the second seating for that....just a thought


Unless you live in Florida or close to a home port.. I understand perfectly the difficulty of bringing a tux and formal wear..You would not believe the overage we have had to pay..Parrot Pop now brings a dark jacket and dark pants which goes with everything, several shirts and ties. As for me..I bring a pair of dressy black slacks and various dressy and semi-dressy tops..plus two light weight long skirts.. There are people like ourselves who like the formality of a formal night.. Rev. and I over the years disagree on many clothing subjects, but dressy or not jeans DO NOT belong in the dining room in the evening..Try cruising 14 days plus without a washing machine onboard.. On a lighter note...only for those that don't know me... I often wear the same outfit or close to it TWICE.....

luv2cruiserccl February 10th, 2010 02:57 PM

its hard enough on a 7 night cruise let alone a 14 day... I know now day's you could pay 20.00 just for the first bag and i have heard 30.00ish+ for the 2nd and this depends on what airline you go on etc. When you fly its just harder to pack all of that let alone if you buy anything on your cruise or on the island's and want to bring it home. I think a simple pair of black dress paint's and a couple shirt's & tie's is a simple approach i believe.. But with all the option's now day's if someone did not want to do the suit and/or tux then there are many other option's to attend and eat at.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom (Post 1273110)
Unless you live in Florida or close to a home port.. I understand perfectly the difficulty of bringing a tux and formal wear..You would not believe the overage we have had to pay..Parrot Pop now brings a dark jacket and dark pants which goes with everything, several shirts and ties. As for me..I bring a pair of dressy black slacks and various dressy and semi-dressy tops..plus two light weight long skirts.. There are people like ourselves who like the formality of a formal night.. Rev. and I over the years disagree on many clothing subjects, but dressy or not jeans DO NOT belong in the dining room in the evening..Try cruising 14 days plus without a washing machine onboard.. On a lighter note...only for those that don't know me... I often wear the same outfit or close to it TWICE.....


colorcrazie February 13th, 2010 02:51 PM

I would rather choose a different cruise line with different rules than have to eat somewhere other than the dining room for dinner. Those "other options" are fine, but formal nights are usually when the dining room brings out the good stuff.
And, I personally don't miss the old style formal attire at all. I grew up with it, and not only is it hard to pack, and expensive to fly with, but it is a pain to wear. I do not miss: girdles, stockings attached to garters, slips, petticoats, long gloves, etc., etc. I can't imagine wanting to go through all that on a cruise. Heck, the old style petticoats alone would take up all the closet space! LOL
Marty

Parrot Mom February 13th, 2010 04:22 PM

Other stuff
 
" I do not miss: girdles, stockings attached to garters, slips, petticoats, long gloves, etc" IT's been a long time since I've heard a woman talking about THOSE things..LOL

colorcrazie February 14th, 2010 01:17 PM

Yep, I was definitely showing my age with those!
LOLLOLLOL
Marty

luv2cruiserccl February 16th, 2010 08:12 AM

so just thinking maybe all of us could make a list of what cruise line's would not even think of allowing you to wear jean's or anything other then a tux or suit, and some other lines that are a little more workable? Just wondering... Most of us know but some may not.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1