CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Styles At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/)
-   -   On The Plane (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/styles-sea/345449-plane.html)

Dona March January 25th, 2008 02:19 PM

On The Plane

What to wear on the plane I want to be comfy but still look chic, are jeans ok? or should I do the jogging suit a chic jogging suit of course haha.

I have nerver flown this far before [ leaving from Rome] and want to appear to be fresh when I arrive.

LisaK January 25th, 2008 02:51 PM

a lovely tres chic jogging suit would be just fine. I find that jeans get uncomfortable after a long while of sitting. A nice pair of casual cotton pants with a nice jersey and a sweater or blazer would also work great

Rev22:17 January 25th, 2008 06:08 PM

Re: On The Plane

Dona March,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
What to wear on the plane I want to be comfy but still look chic, are jeans ok? or should I do the jogging suit a chic jogging suit of course haha.

I have nerver flown this far before [ leaving from Rome] and want to appear to be fresh when I arrive.

When flying, I usually wear dress slacks and a polo shirt. For ladies, a top worn with either slacks or a skirt or a sun dress would be equivalent. The idea is to be comfortable, but neat.

BTW, it's amazing what a difference one's attire makes in the way manner one gets treated in one's travels!

Norm.

Dona March January 25th, 2008 07:42 PM

Thanks Norm I am all about getting good treatment

gerif January 28th, 2008 05:22 PM

I like a dressy jogging suit, preferably made with a little spandex to keep it from wrinkling and bagging at the knees after a long flight. I usually get cold on the plane, so the jacket comes in very handy.

Desdemona01 February 11th, 2008 10:59 AM

I wear travel knits. They are stylish yet comfy and hold up well on the long-distance flights. not to mention they don't wrinkle and are a dream to pack

CruisinK n J February 14th, 2008 02:53 PM

On the Plane

I always wear a jogging set on an airplane. I own five of 'em and just ordered a summer weight one in cotton terry. I highly recommend that you incorporate a jog set (or warmup) into your cruise wardrobe. They come in lots of colors, and if you look for one with stretch, they make very comfortable travel outfits.

On a cruise, they can be used as a swimsuit coverup, or a cozy way to keep warm if you happen to hit a chilly or windy day at sea. Also, you can get more mileage from a jog suit by pairing the pieces with other tees, pants, and shorts. And of course, you can wear it on shore excursions peeling off the jacket if it gets too warm.

Judy

Rev22:17 February 14th, 2008 08:10 PM

Desdemona01,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I wear travel knits. They are stylish yet comfy and hold up well on the long-distance flights. not to mention they don't wrinkle and are a dream to pack

That sounds like a really great solution!

Norm.

LynneeW March 4th, 2008 10:22 AM

What kind of shoes does everyone wear? I always find that my feet are freezing on the plane.

rinker250 March 4th, 2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynneeW
What kind of shoes does everyone wear? I always find that my feet are freezing on the plane.

I wear the slippers provided by the airline.
Soft and warm.

Rev22:17 March 4th, 2008 05:28 PM

LynneeW,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You

Standard dress shoes. It goes with the "comfortable, but neat" (or is that "neat, but comfortable"?) theme.

When flying to a cruise ship, remember that one's checked luggage might not arrive in one's cabin before dinner -- especially if one has first sitting. If one wears clothes that meet the dress code for casual dinner when travelling to the ship, one will not have to beg for leniency from the maitre d'hotel if one's luggage is late.

Norm.

Puddin May 22nd, 2008 12:05 PM

I always wear some kind of material that will not wrinkle regardless of what you do to it. Travelsmith.com has some great items.

LS80 May 30th, 2008 11:27 AM

Rinker........what sirlines do you fly on?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sharon

Repsol Rod May 30th, 2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynneeW

Guess I'll chime in too.
I usually wear a comfortable casual or running shoe but this time I'll be sporting my Five Fingers just to shake things up. They certainly won't help me in the way of staying warm, but the slight chill will be well worth the attention I'll draw. :mrgreen:

Rep

katlady May 31st, 2008 01:53 AM

Okay Repsol Rod these shoes are really cool. :D
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0206d50BI9IAAmOCjzbkF/SIG=12cl5k18g/EXP=1212299549/**http%3A//www.desdegdl.com/blog/media/vibramFiveFingers.jpg[/img]

thecruisequeen May 31st, 2008 07:07 AM

Wow now those are some funky footwear!! :D

Magnolia Blossom October 23rd, 2008 11:58 AM

I have a TravelSmith outfit that is loose and comfy. Over blouse keeps the chill away and strips off easily. All of it can be stuffed into a carry on and come out looking great.

As for shoes, I wear my sneakers, since they are my heaviest pair of shoes, but take them off once seated and put on a nice thick pair of socks.

centralcalicruzer October 23rd, 2008 06:32 PM

Since airlines require you to remove yours shoes when you go through x-ray, I wear cute flip-flops and pack a pair of socks in my carryon in case my feet get cold on the plane. It's just too much trouble trying to put sneakers back on and tying them when there are people behind you in the x-ray line.

sanuk4u May 5th, 2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ourpassportstamps
I wear this very comfortable outfit from Lands end

The pants are black, they come in regular length or capri

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SportKnit...&origin=search

to that I add their long sleeve matching black top

I then tie a BRIGHT scarf around my neck... usually a nice chic hot pink one

I wear black loafesr that can be slipped on and off easily

cozy black socks are in my daypack to be slipped on.

I've tried MANY outfits as I have severe pain in my abdomen from stage 4 endometriosis. Flying is a living nightmare for me. I need to have very little pressure from my clothing..

and this outfit has been perfect!

I guess it depends on the person too, personally, I love the airport and I always dress just cute enough for attention for chatter. I like attention so I would wear stylish jeans and heels and nice classy top. :)

I agree with earlier posts about dressing the part makes a different in treatment.

vi reynolds June 20th, 2009 09:05 PM

I definitely go for comfort on a long flight. There are some track-suits that can be rather chic, however not only sports gear is comfortable. One thing I would go for is breathable materials such as cotton or linen.

Coming back from England I think I'll go for khaki pants and a T-shirt or smarter but still comfy pants with a little top and a casual jacket. As per shoes, yes chic flip flops in summer and comfortable flat shoes/boots in winter.

If you want to be more dressed up when you get to the airport and make an impression, personally I would put a smarter outfit and shoes in a separate bag as hand luggage and change in the labatory just before landing.

I have on occasion travelled on a business suit and heels but only in European flights of approximately 2 hours and because it was work related. On longer flights I find that my feet swell, even with tight trainers (sneakers).

colorcrazie June 21st, 2009 02:56 PM

Vi,
You might want to try medical support knee high stockings. Yes, they are ugly and not very comfortable, but they do keep my feet and ankles from swelling up into wierd shaped footballs when I fly. I just put thin black socks over them and some slip on shoes. Way better than the pain of walking on swollen tootsies. I broke down and bought some 8 years ago and I still use them anytime I have to fly.
Marty

vi reynolds June 22nd, 2009 02:40 PM

I was thinking about trying those actually. I honestly, vain as I come across in other threats I honestly don't care much what I look like on the plane and yes, swollen ankles aren't fun. We're driving to the port actually but will be coming from England a few days before so it wouldn't be a good start to the holiday. I think I'll probably go for crocks for footware on the plane.

Barb Nahoumi August 17th, 2009 08:22 AM

My next flight will be lengthy------Boston to LA, so comfort is of the utmost importance. I will probably wear cotton slacks or light-weight jeans, a nice top, and sandals.

Sandals are easy to remove for airport security. Our cruise will be aboard NCL, where we just have to "Wear Something."

Barb

Catherinelady August 18th, 2010 03:46 PM

Oh Geez! Wear what ever you would wear on a saturday afternoon thats comfortable and please don't think about what other people will think, they don't matter!

johnthed0g August 18th, 2010 04:21 PM

Comfort above all else I say, layers so you can easily adjust to the temp. of the plane, they are either too hot or cold, those hooded tops are handy if you fancy a snooze. As far as service on the plane is concerned in my experience "what service"...don't want much anyway, shouldn't really drink, wife won't eat the food, we take our own water rather than beg for it!

senoj84 July 20th, 2011 05:14 PM

Jeans will be fine. I normally wear capris or shorts, or a simple maxi dress and some slides or shoes that can come easily off for the security check.

SunEBeach July 21st, 2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynneeW (Post 1068000)

leather flip flops...quick and easy to get through the TSA...especially if the lines are horribly long or we're running late...if it's cold out I try to wear slip on tennis shoes for the same reason.

Another subject to mention is when we cruise in Late November it's cold at home but much warmer at our port. I like to find something that is layered so I don't have to carry a coat, but warm for when we leave or return home, but can adapt to the warmer temps down south at the cruise terminal. I want to be comfortable but 'jogging' suits aren't always flattering for me [plus size, curvy]. I dont' want to look frumpy. Any suggestions?

Rev22:17 July 22nd, 2011 06:33 PM

SunEBeach,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You (Post 1382714)
Another subject to mention is when we cruise in Late November it's cold at home but much warmer at our port. I like to find something that is layered so I don't have to carry a coat, but warm for when we leave or return home, but can adapt to the warmer temps down south at the cruise terminal. I want to be comfortable but 'jogging' suits aren't always flattering for me [plus size, curvy]. I dont' want to look frumpy. Any suggestions?

In cool or inclement weather, I wear a jacket suited to the conditions local conditions to the departure airport (unless the destination will require something heavier). When I get to the airline's check-in counter, I remove the jacket, fold it, and slip it into a slot in my computer bag or my carry-on backpack, depending upon which I happen to bring on the trip. When I need the jacket again, either at the destination or upon returning home, it's very easy to slip it out of the carry-on and don it after reclaiming my checked luggage.

And yes, this sometimes means packing a lighter jacket, sweater, or sweatshirt to use at the destination, too.

Norm.