Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Passenger

Default What are suitcase restrictions....etc

Just read the posts in SITTING ON THE SUITCASE and I really was planning on on one big suitcase, it has wheels with a leash thing to pull it, and I really think it will be enough. Clothes are just not my thing....seeing and doing, and taking pictures is what I look forward to, so it will be just the basics. I will come closer to not enough, than too much, and like others have said, black goes with everything, and perfect for an Alaskan cruise, in fact, I may pack 90% black and white....but.....just in case, what are the weight restrictions, and how many bags can you carry, and how often do you really have to wrangle it all yourself?
Jayne
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jayne,
There aren't any restrictions with the cruiselines, other than the size of your carry-on, it has to fit through the x-ray, just like at the airport. The major airlines are the ones with the restrictions. United is now going to charge $25 for the second bag to check. I believe the weight restriction is still the 50 pounds. Just be sure to check with the airline you are traveling on.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Thanks Donna. Trying to control the excitement, its so far off, but questions keeping popping up just like a pack of Orville Redenbacher!!
jayne
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What are suitcase restrictions....etc

Jayne10,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Just read the posts in SITTING ON THE SUITCASE and I really was planning on on one big suitcase, it has wheels with a leash thing to pull it, and I really think it will be enough. Clothes are just not my thing....seeing and doing, and taking pictures is what I look forward to, so it will be just the basics. I will come closer to not enough, than too much, and like others have said, black goes with everything, and perfect for an Alaskan cruise, in fact, I may pack 90% black and white....but.....just in case, what are the weight restrictions, and how many bags can you carry, and how often do you really have to wrangle it all yourself?
Donna's post is basically correct. Most major airlines allow up to two (2) pieces of checked luggage that do not exceed 50 pounds and, IIRC, 72" in sum of linear dimensions (length+width+depth). Realistically, the giant suitcases will get you surcharged for oversize/overweight luggage so it's better to bring two smaller pieces (no more than 26" long). Also, the "roller back" design works much better than the leash. In addition, you may bring one (1) carry-on bag and one (1) personal item, such as a handbag, a brief case, a small backpack, or a computer bag, onto the plane with you.

That said, United Airlines and US Airways have recently announced a change in policy. Beginning in May, they will charge $25 for a second checked suitcase for passengers travelling on discounted coach tickets who are either "general" members or non-members of their frequent flier plans. This fee does not apply to first class passengers, passengers travelling on unrestricted (refundable) fares, or premium members of their frequent flier plans.

Norm.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jayne,
Thats exactly why these message boards are so valueble, continue with any questions that "pop" into your head, not a problem.

I think the rest of us get almost excited as you :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

Personally, if I'm going to fly these days I go to the website of the airline I'm flying with and verify what that particular airlines requirements are. Even if I've flown with them recently they could have changed their policy at any time.

Not that the advice isn't good here but I don't like to be disapointed because I misunderstood something. Not when I'm on my vacation anyway.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default AIRLINE CHARGES FOR LUGGAGE.

The web-link at bottom provided by the Miami Hearld.

On the way home from your cruise, those duty free bottles my not be so cheap, 1-pound over the weight restriction of (50-lbs) on Delta, will cost $80 and a oversized bag is $150 each way!
United charges $125.00 for being 1-lb over weight on first bag.

Look up your airlines charges and fee's, 1st bag, 2nd bag, over-weight bags and over-size bags.

Note: Your carry-on better meet the size limit, the airline can remove it from carry-on and check it in as a second and or extra bag.

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...filiate.56.pdf

Old September 9th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Please check your airline for current regulations..Since I booked my Continental flight, this happened:( Things can change on a dime...

Economy Class - travel exclusively within 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada

For customers who purchased tickets on or after Sep. 5, 2008 for travel on or after Oct. 7, 2008 First Checked bag - $15

Second Checked bag - $25

Please see new checked bag policy Each bag at a maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Passenger

Default Baggage fees

This is what I know from personal experience: United charges more if you do not print a boarding pass online. It cost only $11 for the flight to Grand Teton National Park but for the return home, we paid $15 per bag because Yellowstone does not have the Internet. So if you are going to end your trip where accessing the Internet is impossible, don't go with United. I don't like that airline. It charged me for the first bag.

If you are traveling to another U.S. city, you can't beat Southwest. That is the only one, unfortunately, that never charges for the first or second bag. The only downside: they're not able to fly outside the United States.
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Andrea,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
This is what I know from personal experience: United charges more if you do not print a boarding pass online. It cost only $11 for the flight to Grand Teton National Park but for the return home, we paid $15 per bag because Yellowstone does not have the Internet. So if you are going to end your trip where accessing the Internet is impossible, don't go with United. I don't like that airline. It charged me for the first bag.

If you are traveling to another U.S. city, you can't beat Southwest. That is the only one, unfortunately, that never charges for the first or second bag. The only downside: they're not able to fly outside the United States.
Unfortunately, nearly all of the major airlines now charge for every checked bag, except that

>> Passengers travelling on paid First Class or Business Class tickets,

>> Passengers travelling on paid unrestricted Coach Class tickets, and

>> "Premium tier" members of their frequent flier programs

may check up to three (3) pieces of luggage with no additional charge. The typical fees ($25 for the first checked bag and $35 for the second checked bag at the counter) are not too onerous, but they do add up.

The bottom line here is that most of us would do well to concentrate our flying on one airline and its alliance partners in order to attain "premium tier" membership in the frequent flyer program. In fact, it's well worth taking an extra trip or two if necessary to maintain that standing because it brings a lot more perks than just complementary checked luggage!

That said, Delta Air Lines and American Express are now advertising that, as of 01 June 2010, all Delta tickets purchased on a SkyMiles AmEx card will receive one complementary checked bag per passenger. If other airlines follow suit, this benefit could pay for any membership fees associated with the respective cards for those who don't fly enough to attain "premium tier" membership in a frequent flyer program.

Norm.