Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Default Is a no button mandarin collar tux acceptable?

Ok, I admit I like to dress up. I feel it is an opportunity to present my unique style, and I hate t-shirts unless I am going for the layered look. I plan to have a white or ivory dinner jacket with me and am considering buying a black tux, but I was wondering if for a third, slightly less formal than black tie but more formal than casual/informal, option a no button mandarin collar tux would be acceptable on the more relaxed cruise lines' formal nights. I will be sailing the Eastern Caribbean on my first outing.
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I had to Google it. Yes, as long as you look classy it is fine. I like the look. A lot of things are acceptable, such as kilts and military uniforms. It adds to the fun of formal nights to see people doing things differently.
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default thanks

Thanks.....I have kind of this trendy GQ style thing going on with adding in my own quirks. I like to looks good and be stylish, while being unique in the process. Obviously I would have to follow black tie to the letter on some lines, but Carnival(my first cruise) and Royal Caribbean(my second cruise) aren't that way. Buying a tux or two just makes more sense for me than renting since it is something I would need regularly anyway.
Old September 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What cruiseline/ship are you on? It actually sounds fine to me, I don't think you'd have a problem on any line.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Admiral

Default cruise lines I have planned thus far.

My 7 day cruise will be on Carnival and my 3 day will be on Royal Caribbean(booking a suite on this one at the single rate....going a bit swank with that one since I can afford it, though I plan to take cruises on each of the CLIA member lines eventually, and I also hope to use it for some other events in which a tux is needed. I know you don't have to wear a tux on these, but I thought why not have a little fun and go with a semi-casual tuxedo option, especially on the 7 day cruise, being that it is a singles cruise so naturally I would want to turn a few heads.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is a no button mandarin collar tux acceptable?

Brad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Ok, I admit I like to dress up. I feel it is an opportunity to present my unique style, and I hate t-shirts unless I am going for the layered look. I plan to have a white or ivory dinner jacket with me and am considering buying a black tux, but I was wondering if for a third, slightly less formal than black tie but more formal than casual/informal, option a no button mandarin collar tux would be acceptable on the more relaxed cruise lines' formal nights. I will be sailing the Eastern Caribbean on my first outing.
The mandarin-style dinner jacket with a "choker" collar would be acceptable on any cruise line.

But this style of dinner jacket is NOT a "tux" (or "tuxedo"). The term "tuxedo" properly refers only to a black dinner jacket of a specific style first worn at The Tuxedo Club in New York. Any other style of jacket worn as part of a "black tie" outfit is simply a "dinner jacket."

Norm.
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I understand true black tie dress and know this is non-traditional, but I was going by what it is listed as through the stores is all.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trust me Brad, you will look like a page from GQ, and better dressed for formal nights, than many..Bravo!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Part of why I chose it. I am very much a GQ type. That is where I draw my style from. Besides, like ZZ Top says, "Every woman loves a sharp dressed man". I guess it is one of the upsides to being single.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Admiral

brad813,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Part of why I chose it. I am very much a GQ type. That is where I draw my style from. Besides, like ZZ Top says, "Every woman loves a sharp dressed man". I guess it is one of the upsides to being single.
May I caution you to be selective in your purchase of trendy styles, especially while your financial resources are constrained?

I understand that appearance matters a LOT when you are pursuing an acting career, but...

>> 1. Quality actually is more important than trendiness. Note, however, that quality often is NOT correlated with price. I have seen articles with trendy designer labels that would fall apart after three wearings, while you can buy Stafford suits and tuxedos at J. C. Penney that look fabulous and that are very durable.

>> 2. Trendy styles tend to grow dated very quickly, forcing you to scrap them well before the end of their useful life unless it's an item that you can wear on a daily basis. Conversely, classic styles do NOT grow dated so you can wear them until the end of their useful life.

>> 3. You can blow a lot of cash replacing trendy wardrobes that grow dated. In the long term, that cash will serve you better if you invest it in a portfolio of stocks.

>> 4. In Hollywood, performers are disposable. Don't count on a trendy wardrobe to pay for itself in business. If you need trendy costumes for your performances, treat them as assets of your business rather than as personal items.

The bottom line here is to ask the simple question, "Will I wear this enough to justify the investment before it becomes dated?" If the answer is negative, go with a more classic style instead.

Norm.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Well, my thing is largely personal taste. I intend to line my closet with trendy styles and classic styles both. I have an eye for taste and style, and even more so for quality. I also am trying to find something in between casual and formal without resorting to a notch lapel tuxedo(which is really a glorified suit) or a black suit. I was thinking this would go well between a peak lapel and an ivory dinner jacket. Just really exploring options right now.