Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Styles At Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Styles At Sea Discuss the Latest In Cruise Fashion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Admiral

Default Princess Cruise Line/Formal Night Tuxedo Question

In a little over a month, I will be going on a cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Since this is both my first cruise with Princess and my first 7 night cruise I wanted to get some opinions on formalwear. I know there will be two formal nights, so I wanted to mix up my formalwear a bit by adding a new tuxedo in for the second night. I am looking at an all white tuxedo. I know the white jacket, black pants option is acceptable, but would an all white tuxedo be acceptable on a Princess Cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Admiral

yes most definately that would work.
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Don't agree, I think it would be a bit ''over the top''. Mind you it IS nice to have someone asking about what they should wear rather than how to avoid it!!
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Admiral

johnthed0g - actually i do agree with you and i almost posted to brad that he might be actually overdressed in an all-white tux but i didn't want to discourage him, especially since all the back and forth debating that has been going on recently on these boards
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Admiral

We did a 7 day Caribbean cruise in November on Ruby. There were honestly so many types of dress on formal night, you could get away with anything. Whether you'd feel comfortable or not is completely up to you.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Trackypup - anything - even smart casual?

Annie
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegb View Post
Trackypup - anything - even smart casual?

Annie
We ate at Crown Grill one night and the second formal night had a pizza and a great bottle of wine on our deck so honestly I have no idea where people ate who were dressed smart casual. But there were all kinds of formal attire. One guy had a Lavender tux on. So an all white one won't look too out of place. There were lots of colour jackets on formal night.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Admiral

I am looking at buy a Jean Yves Mirage(because I look good enough to pull it off), for a second tuxedo(I already own a black, single button peak lapel Tommy Hilfiger) to mix it up and while I am definitely going for the white jacket, I can get it with white pants or black. Plan for the shoes is a pair of white oxfords. Thinking a colored vest with a bow tie to complete the ensemble.
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Admiral

brad, go for it, its obvious by your postings that you have the confidence and knowledge to pull it off whichever way you decided to make-up your tuxedo
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
brad, go for it, its obvious by your postings that you have the confidence and knowledge to pull it off whichever way you decided to make-up your tuxedo
I know the rules of black tie and the rules of style(style and fashion are different.....style is fashion interpreted in a deeply personal way to look your best). It is just a matter of making sure you can take a few risks without breaking a dress code.
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:13 PM
First Mate

Default Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
I am looking at buy a Jean Yves Mirage(because I look good enough to pull it off), for a second tuxedo(I already own a black, single button peak lapel Tommy Hilfiger) to mix it up and while I am definitely going for the white jacket, I can get it with white pants or black. Plan for the shoes is a pair of white oxfords. Thinking a coloured vest with a bow tie to complete the ensemble.
Look Brad, just go and do what makes you happy and you will not cause a problem. First , you are at least reading the cruise line suggestion and second you have no problem in wearing formal clothes that you enjoy.

Third, with that attire, they certainly are not going to say no to you.

I'm quite sure the woman will enjoy and you will give some men the option of knowing this can work and look smart.

Here is a picture of our formal night in the Caribbean and I'm the one in the suit, lost the battle to wear my wool tie that night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeaPTable153-N2010-1.jpg (95.1 KB, 9 views)
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; February 18th, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:31 PM
First Mate

Default Whoa, be gracious

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Don't agree, I think it would be a bit ''over the top''. Mind you it IS nice to have someone asking about what they should wear rather than how to avoid it!!

John,
Have you forgotten your recent posts. Give Brad some slack, as you said he is at least asking and wanting to dress nicely for formal night.
What might make you uncomfortable will not give him an issue/
have a great coloured tie or bowtie and a vest, not bad idea to my mind.

Cheers
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
First Mate

Default You got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
johnthed0g - actually i do agree with you and i almost posted to brad that he might be actually overdressed in an all-white tux but i didn't want to discourage him, especially since all the back and forth debating that has been going on recently on these boards
Lisa
Glad you backtracked on this.
Who are we to begin to discourage someone especially when we were part of the other thread debate on formal wear.
How does one think styles evolve if at least not tried
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Admiral

Well, the formal nights(except on NCL which has none which I personally disdain, so I keep them in reserve for certain cruises when nothing else is available or I just want a short cruise....don't even get me started on the trouble I have had with NCL as a travel agent, though I will say some of their BDMs(Business Development Managers) are quite friendly) are specifically to allow someone to dress up as much as they want to, and I personally love dressing to the nines since suits seem too everyday for me. My other career. aside from being a travel agent, is in the entertainment industry, so I do have a natural knack for style since it goes with my other career, and a little bit of flash in a tasteful way goes a long way. At least I am not showing up in an egg(sorry Stefani....I mean Lady Gaga, you are a great showperson but really, an egg!!!????).....